Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kelly87

Getting laser done this week for post-acne marks.

I don't have scarring and the only thing I'd get it done for is to get rid of the dark marks left on my cheeks. Which one would be better at that, vbeam or smoothbeam? I know vbeam is used a lot for redness and smoothbeam for scars and acne but my issue is that I don't really have redness, scars, or that much active acne so I'm debating which one would be better for me.

The reason I'm asking is because the doctor I know offers Smoothbeam and I find he'd be biased towards recommending it.

If I was only concerned about the red marks on the skin, I would go for the vbeam, because the smoothbeam sounds like it is more for smoothing out scars, whereas the other one focuses more on the discoloured areas of your skin.

I don't think Smoothbeam can do anything to help with residual red marks. It's only proven to help slightly with acne scarring and helping prevent new pimples.

You should do vbeam with levulan.

I don't have scarring and the only thing I'd get it done for is to get rid of the dark marks left on my cheeks. Which one would be better at that, vbeam or smoothbeam? I know vbeam is used a lot for redness and smoothbeam for scars and acne but my issue is that I don't really have redness, scars, or that much active acne so I'm debating which one would be better for me.

Kelly,

Vbeam targets on "REDness". If you don't have redness, it's not very effective on "dark marks"

I saw one of your posts describing your marks as not red, but "more brownish/purply".

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...3entry1035633

Also, judging from your pictures, you have pretty dark skin (at least a Fitzpatrick IV) which possibly makes you a poor candidate for both Vbeam and Smoothbeam.

This is because the wavelengths generated by these lasers can be absorbed by melanin on your epidermis, which makes it likely to burn your skin. You may be risking more hyperpigmentation because you have more melanin than people of lighter skin tone. (On lighter skin tones, the lasers would easily pass through the epidermis) I would seriously discuss this with your derm to weigh against the risks and benefits rather than tossing a coin to pick a laser to use.