Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GL2006

Message for Dan about Lactic Acid Usage in Acne

Dan, I came across a most interesting study regarding lactic acid and acne, and I thought I would share it with you, since I read you are in the process of manufacturing a moisture lotion made with lactic acid.

This study was done at a university in India, and if you can get past a few of the transcription typos (probably done by a college student transcribing the notes, and unfortunately no proof reading!)...it is a most interesting study.

The study was small, involving 22 acned patients, but it reveals the mechanism of lactic acid; how it does destroy acne bacteria and clear skin. I cut and pasted the study into a word document to print out and read for myself, and I was very impressed with it. They used a 5% lactate formulation.

I am not the most computer literate and do not know how to link, but here is the title of the study which can easity be found through google:

How to cit this URL:

Garg T, Ramam M, Pasricha JS, Verma KK. Long term topical application of lactic acid/lactate lotion as a preventive treatment for acne vulgaris. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol [serial online] 2002 [cited 2006 Mar 16]; 68:137-139

Available from: http://www.ijdvl.com/article.asp?issn=0378-

6323;year=2002;volume=68;issue=3;spage=137;epage=139;aulast=Garg

There is an abstract and a full text. I recommend the full text.

Also you might want to go on the www.purac.com website. They manufacture lactic acid for many uses around the world and have some great literature on lactic acid and it's many beneficial uses for skin that you can print out.

I think you are on the right track using lactic acid as an active ingredient in your new moisturizer!

Well I guess linking is easier than I thought! You just type in the website! DUH!

The link I typed in took me to the website immediately. Have fun reading!

Very interesting. The moisturizer will contain less than 5%, but yeah, I love the addition of lactic acid. Still, those results are insane. This is good news. Thanks for sharin'.

Java, what lactic acid peels are you using?

I tried the new Olay Regenerist microdermabrasion/peel treatment made with lactic acid, and honestly, I could not believe how great my skin looked after one use. After about a month of using it, I can say my pores have shrunk a lot and my skin tone and texture is much, much better. I've loved salicylic acid treatments, but after experiementing and using this, I feel it is so much superior and I'll never use salicylic acid again. Plus lactic acid is much less irritating than salicyclic acid.

Olay Regenerist peel rocks and it has to be the lactic acid! They really formulated this product very well. What brand peel are you using?

Oh, one thing I've also learned is that lactic acid, along with exfoliating properties, is also a natural humecant and moisturizer. Salicylic acid can't say that! The more I'm readiing and learning about lactic acid the more I'm convinced it's really beneficial.

One real interesting thing I learned over on the purac.com website, is that lactic acid boosts the anti microbrial properties of other antibacterials like hydrogen peroxide. No doubt it compliments benzoyl peroxide as well!

Java, what lactic acid peels are you using?

I tried the new Olay Regenerist microdermabrasion/peel treatment made with lactic acid, and honestly, I could not believe how great my skin looked after one use. After about a month of using it, I can say my pores have shrunk a lot and my skin tone and texture is much, much better. I've loved salicylic acid treatments, but after experiementing and using this, I feel it is so much superior and I'll never use salicylic acid again. Plus lactic acid is much less irritating than salicyclic acid.

Olay Regenerist peel rocks and it has to be the lactic acid! They really formulated this product very well. What brand peel are you using?

Oh, one thing I've also learned is that lactic acid, along with exfoliating properties, is also a natural humecant and moisturizer. Salicylic acid can't say that! The more I'm readiing and learning about lactic acid the more I'm convinced it's really beneficial.

One real interesting thing I learned over on the purac.com website, is that lactic acid boosts the anti microbrial properties of other antibacterials like hydrogen peroxide. No doubt it compliments benzoyl peroxide as well!

I'm using the 55% Lactic Acid peel from makeupartistschoice.com I've done 7 peels so far (started 2 months ago). My skin has improved so much, I can't believe it - - it's faded my red marks like crazy! And yes, I've noticed it doesn't dry out my skin at all.

I might check out the Olay Regenerist Peel (I think I heard about this one in the commercials). :)

Hey do you guys think Lactic peels are better or to use a lower power lactic acid solution of some sort every day, such as a 5% solution? Does such a thing even exist?

I used to use lactic peels, but haven't since I started the regimen and have been wanting to start it again, since the regimen keeps me somewhat clear then I break out, clear up, break out. Each cycle lasting a week give or take. It's very frustrating.

yup Im using Eucerin Skin Renewal lotion with lactic acid

too bad there discontinuing it so buy it will there are still some left