Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LoveGreenSmoothies

After all of these years browsing this board

Lately, I don't think I want to do anything for my scars. It's pretty weird. I don't even know if I want to do microdermabrasion or fillers, which is what I had planned to do.

I just feel like I'm at peace with my scars now. Also, in a way I feel like they keep superficial, shallow people away from me.

This is who I am now, and this is what I look like. Love it or leave it.

I'm also tired of the whole thing. I haven't been able to do anything for them yet, because I just got rid of my acne, so all of these years I just read this board, waiting for my chance to do something. It was frustrating. :evil: During that time I changed a lot. Initially, I was like every newbie - gung-ho and believed every new fad, and that my scars could be eradicated. Then, after time, I would see the bad results, crushed hopes, and all that. I became more wary and decided when I could do something for my scars, I would be conservative, because the other stuff is too risky and causes more scars a lot. That's when I decided to just get microderm and fillers when I was done 'tane. (I finished 6 months ago.) Now, I am unsure if I want to get anything and it's kind of liberating. I have no idea if this is a passing phase or not, but it's how I feel right now.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I have been through that phase. Basicly accepting for the way I am and thinking things are fine. THEN, it seems instances come up when you are in the public, meeting new people and it seems the scars are something a stranger could easily zero in on if they are looking for flaws. I decided to try some more at elimating scars and making my skin look better. Is it just me or is it somewhat stress relieving to think about this rather than other things??? It is something to focus on and put some thought into and doesn't give me migranes like chess. On the serious side, if you are happy and accepting for what you look like then it could actually have positive affects on your appearance. Less stress, peaceful attitude leads to better skin I think. :)

So I'm not the only one, then.

I think focusing on scars does make you able to not focus on more and worse things. I think that's a big part of the disorder BDD - They have other issues, but only focus on the external so they don't have to deal with the internal. JMO.

Watch, now that I want my scars, they'll go away, ya know, Murphy's law. :razz:

Thats such a good attitude...I am trying to have that attitude while i treat my scars so that if something does go wrong i will be able to cope.

I have no regrets with treatment i've had for my pitts...abrading them with the toothpick method and cpx2. Theres always the period of a few months where you go...what have i done?? but its almost like you have to look worse before you look better to actually get a good result in the long run.

I've had heaps of instances where i thought it would never improve and i made it 10 x worse...then 6 months later it look way better than the original scar...people dont pay attention to it as much when i go out and i feel better. I'm always not trying to erradicate a scar...i dont think you can do that...but improve it enough so its not bothering me as much and its not the first thing ppl zoom in on when they talk to me.

I dont really think I ever had a prob with excepting the scars. They are quite mild and really don't make me feel unattractive, but if theres things to fix them or improve them that are safe (microderm, fraxel) then I will do them. Also I really stopped thinking about the scars when I got a good tan. A lot of the shadow and things in bad lighting went away when my skin got tan. I'm not obsessed just would like to fix them if I can.

Good for you Emmanuel. Your post was really liberating to read. I don't worry about mine as much as I used to and it's almost kind of liberating to just want to accept having some evidence of the scarring, and wear them proudly. A girlfriend of mine works for Fraxel and she offered to get me FREE TREATMENTS to erase what's left after i had other treatments done, and I actually turned her down because I just don't think it's that bad anymore (plus it's already gone down by about half so I don't know how much more they could do!). I know there are days when i feel more confident than others, and hearing all the excitement on this board, about trying different things is fun to read so it's tempting to want to keep aiming for silky smooth skin. I'm so fascinated by scars now, and all the stuff that causes them and heals/fills them, etc.

This board has been great.

Libby

Thats such a good attitude...I am trying to have that attitude while i treat my scars so that if something does go wrong i will be able to cope.

I have no regrets with treatment i've had for my pitts...abrading them with the toothpick method and cpx2. Theres always the period of a few months where you go...what have i done?? but its almost like you have to look worse before you look better to actually get a good result in the long run.

I've had heaps of instances where i thought it would never improve and i made it 10 x worse...then 6 months later it look way better than the original scar...people dont pay attention to it as much when i go out and i feel better. I'm always not trying to erradicate a scar...i dont think you can do that...but improve it enough so its not bothering me as much and its not the first thing ppl zoom in on when they talk to me.

I used to really want to get rid of them. I couldn't wait until my skin was clear so I could do scar treatments. Now, I am baffled, because I want them. :shifty: I feel like they're mine now and a part of me. :surprised:

I dont really think I ever had a prob with excepting the scars. They are quite mild and really don't make me feel unattractive, but if theres things to fix them or improve them that are safe (microderm, fraxel) then I will do them. Also I really stopped thinking about the scars when I got a good tan. A lot of the shadow and things in bad lighting went away when my skin got tan. I'm not obsessed just would like to fix them if I can.

I KNOW a tan makes scars look almost non-existant, but I can't tan - I'd feel guilty and like I was aging my skin (I'm older) and that it was making the scars worse in the long run.

Good for you Emmanuel. Your post was really liberating to read. I don't worry about mine as much as I used to and it's almost kind of liberating to just want to accept having some evidence of the scarring, and wear them proudly. A girlfriend of mine works for Fraxel and she offered to get me FREE TREATMENTS to erase what's left after i had other treatments done, and I actually turned her down because I just don't think it's that bad anymore (plus it's already gone down by about half so I don't know how much more they could do!). I know there are days when i feel more confident than others, and hearing all the excitement on this board, about trying different things is fun to read so it's tempting to want to keep aiming for silky smooth skin. I'm so fascinated by scars now, and all the stuff that causes them and heals/fills them, etc.

This board has been great.

Libby

I know what you mean about turning down the fraxels. I haven't had that same experience, but now I don't even really want to do even microderm/fillers. It's weird, because I waited sooo long to be able to do it, so I feel like I should just because I'd planned on it for so long!

Oh, and OMG that you turned down FREE fraxel, wow!

I just don't know if I want silky smooth skin, which blows my mind. I kind of like that I have scars now, which also blows my mind!

I DO want to get rid of my bumps though, but that is an existing disease, much like acne is a disease.

You're sounding really positive, Emma. I'm really glad!

I would definitely not say I'm happy with my scars, but I am gradually accepting them more as time goes by. I think it does depend on severity, though, as I am much more accepting of my facial scars, which are moderate, than my bodily scarring, which is severe.

Hope all is well with you otherwise, too. :wub:

Hi Rossi, :wub:

Yeah, I think after some time goes by you can get better with them. I've had them so long, it would almost be weird to NOT have them.

My facial scars are mostly moderate/shallow, some deep and severe, but mostly I just have a lot! That's why I think (thought) microderm and fillers would help.

I hope your back scars get better, I know how much they bother you.

Emmanuel, :wavey:

I always enjoy reading your posts. I think to feel accepting of one's scars must be so liberating. It is not a feeling that is easily achievable and for you to feel that is a road to enhancing your life for sure. I believe your post might inspire others by reminding us that there is always a way out, but sometimes it comes from within us instead from the outside sources.

Guest Marino

Thats a good attitude to have emma,

i guess i'm going through something similar, but not as extreme.

I've gone "as far as i can" with scar/pigmentation revision, and although my skin isn't perfect, its changed ALOT, and to me thats all that matters.

I've come along way and now im happy with my skin, im sure it looks really crappy in real life, but atm its fine in my everyday mirors and public toilets, what i dont know cant hurt me....

Emmanuel, :wavey:

I always enjoy reading your posts. I think to feel accepting of one's scars must be so liberating. It is not a feeling that is easily achievable and for you to feel that is a road to enhancing your life for sure. I believe your post might inspire others by reminding us that there is always a way out, but sometimes it comes from within us instead from the outside sources.

Thanks, :D I always like your posts too, they're so wise.

What you say about another way out is spot-on! I hope someone else on here realizes that!

Thats a good attitude to have emma,

i guess i'm going through something similar, but not as extreme.

I've gone "as far as i can" with scar/pigmentation revision, and although my skin isn't perfect, its changed ALOT, and to me thats all that matters.

I've come along way and now im happy with my skin, im sure it looks really crappy in real life, but atm its fine in my everyday mirors and public toilets, what i dont know cant hurt me....

Good for you that you're happy with your skin's improvement :clap: I got to the point where I was OK with "just improvement" myself, then this happened. I knew I could never completely get rid of scars after reading this board. It finally sunk in - all we can get is improvement. I'm glad you got that!

And I bet your skin looks better than you think!

I DO still think about microderm, but I'm on the fence. I think I want to try it out of curiosity and because I had planned it for so damn long. I am not getting it now, though. Right now I'm content how I am - but if I get the "itch" that's what I'll do, I guess.

Guest Marino

thanks emma :)

I sent you a PM

EDIT: I think im better off posting my pm here as well incase this information is valuble to anyone :angel:

I DO still think about microderm, but I'm on the fence. I think I want to try it out of curiosity and because I had planned it for so damn long. I am not getting it now, though. Right now I'm content how I am - but if I get the "itch" that's what I'll do, I guess.

marino buddy, i found u! hehe, i guess i'm in the scar forums now a days more then 'tane. i been off 'tane recently, i had a wack thought that the 'tane was going to improve my scars after the acne was gone. ok so what do u guys recomend for indents? i'm prayin the scars just heal on my diet.

also, how old are u guys here? i'm about to turn 21, does that mean there's hope for me to heal? lolz, humor me, but don't lie to me.

"I hate a liar more then a thief, a liar's after my reality, a thief's after my salary."

To the 21 year old: Since you are so young, they may heal a lot given time. But you have to stay out of the sun. It degrades collagen production and makes scars worse. There's no way to know if they will improve since everyone heals differently.

Marino: I appreciate your advice on microderm. :) I had a series three years ago. It made my scars look better. I guess becuse it caused swelling in the skin. A lot of my scars are shallow, but there are a lot. A lot. So, while I agree with you that it won't get rid of my scarring, it may make them look better like it did three years ago. I don't know if I'll do it. I kind of want to, because I'd planned on it and I hate diviating from any plan...:angel: In any case, I won't be running out tomorrow to get it done anyway. One thing I do like about microderm is that it gets rid of clogged pores since it has that suction thing - they just suck the buggers out. I loved that!

I do want to say this: When I was getting the microderm I was using retin-a micro too. Now alone, it (RAM) didn't do much, but in tandem with the microderm I saw some improvement. In addition, it (microderm) gets rid of hyperpigmentation from the sun and fine lines, temporarily, and at my age, I love that!

Like you said, I was pretty red, but it didn't look like I was scratched by a cat - just red, from what remember, but it was 3 years ago. I also think it depends on the person doing it and the machine setting, their aggressiveness, etc. I'd told the girl I wanted her to be aggresive and she was; she even told me I had really thick skin - I don't know if that's good or bad...:shifty: After about six - eight, I started to see a difference. I never bled or anything. I think that's bad and turns it into an invasive procedure for someone with little skill, if any, in that sort of thing. I had mine two weeks apart. IF i do it, I will do it just for the toning and smoothing of the skin and the slight plumping of scars. I don't expect much for scar improvement these days, but I like to have smooth skin and nice tone, because it makes the scars less visible.

Peels don't sit well with my skin. I realized that. My skin reacts horribly to them - I break out and it just makes me red and peel and makes the scars look worse.

My plan was to get restalyne and microderm. Restalyne to fill in the deeper scars and microderm to make the tone all pretty!

I thought injections only worked on deeper scars and that the more shallow one's didn't respond, but you're saying the opposite. How is this so? I heard (On here) that it also only responds to certain kinds of scarring: saucer, boxcar, right? I'd really like to know your experience since you've had it done and had success with it. Any tips for us?

i liked how you said scars kept superficial and shallow people away from you lol

great tool

love it

Guys, what kind of microderm are you all havingg/had?

I've been doing microderm myself at home with Dermanew for the past year and a half and I've actually had a great improvement, including on scars (about 33%) and NO, I'm not imagining things.

Microderm has a comulative effect over time as far as scars are concerned. I've been having on average one every week and so far I've had 60 in a period of 18 months.

Actually the first 40 or so times I had it done my scars and indents looked WORSE the first 24 hours and then improved.

The way I know it's not my imagination is by standing in the same lighting and position oppsite a mirror and see how it looks. Over time I've found that I have to turn my head more and more to see them.

It's not an instant miracle but if one is patient, significant improvement can be achieved. Of course it also depends on one's condition and skin but in my view it definitely works.

Guest doremi

Emma :clap:

I haven't received your latest picture though :think:

Speaking about scars...IF money was no object..I'd still try out Fraxel for the heck of it...but right now I ain't gonna break my back or waste my money to do more stuff at this point.

I know for sure there's one or two people at this point, after spending THOUSANDS of dollars on their credit cards...they still wanna spend that extra $50-100 here and there juuust to get rid of 'that spot near my cheek' or 'a couple pitted scars near the jaw', etc...I'm sorry to say that's a sign of a deeper problem.

Guest Marino
I thought injections only worked on deeper scars and that the more shallow one's didn't respond, but you're saying the opposite. How is this so? I heard (On here) that it also only responds to certain kinds of scarring: saucer, boxcar, right? I'd really like to know your experience since you've had it done and had success with it. Any tips for us?

Lol, so many contradictions out there regarding scar treatments,

its funny because almost every plastic surgeon i go to has a different opinion on fillers.

In my case, the largebox scar in the middle of my forehead was exactly the same [apparently, they are supposed to respond the best to fillers] while my ice picks where flattened out considerably [another contradiction, many PS's say restylane does nothing for ice picks, they apparently need to be wider scars]. My shallow scaring on my temples was next to gone, while the 3 larger scars the same [one box scar, and two other jagged deeper scars]. I plan on doing TCA cross on them, theres only 3 that didn't respond so im happy with my results.

Either every one is different or some skin proffesional are incompetent.

I would say a good mixture of the two :think:

Theres only one way to find out how your skin reacts....

Oh yea, I had two sessions of restylane one month apart, the results were much better after the second, most people who have wrinkles can go up to about 5 sessions, but for shallowing scaring most people are fine with 2 - 3 sessions [some people only need one, but very rare and the results aren't as good].

Make sure you get restylane, some studies showed scaring responded much better to restylane than botox. And stay away from permanent fillers, your skin is still changing and moving, the fillers can move with it and create little lumps elsewhere on your skin. I've seen a woman who had it done on the wrinkles above her lips, it wasn't pretty :(

I've been doing microderm myself at home with Dermanew for the past year and a half and I've actually had a great improvement, including on scars (about 33%) and NO, I'm not imagining things.

Microderm has a comulative effect over time as far as scars are concerned. I've been having on average one every week and so far I've had 60 in a period of 18 months.

Actually the first 40 or so times I had it done my scars and indents looked WORSE the first 24 hours and then improved.

The way I know it's not my imagination is by standing in the same lighting and position oppsite a mirror and see how it looks. Over time I've found that I have to turn my head more and more to see them.

It's not an instant miracle but if one is patient, significant improvement can be achieved. Of course it also depends on one's condition and skin but in my view it definitely works.

WOW! 60 TREATMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly believe you should change to something more invasive, microderm only takes off the top layers of the scaring, meaning each time your do it you get they just get a tiny bit shallower. In theory you will eventually have smooth skin.... but at 33 percent for 60 treatments your looking at year and years of treatment at thousands of dollars. Thats way to expensive and long.

Needling is a much better alternative if you have that kind of time, you can break much more scar tissue and go deeper than micro, meaning you can achieve the same results in a fraction of the time and cost. I'd day needling after a year at one month apart would get you were ya wanna be in terms of decent scar improvement, thats what Gumby did, and it cost him next to nothing [self needling].

I had mine done by an aestitician at my derm's office. I strongly advise against having it done at a salon.

Emma :clap:

I haven't received your latest picture though :think:

Speaking about scars...IF money was no object..I'd still try out Fraxel for the heck of it...but right now I ain't gonna break my back or waste my money to do more stuff at this point.

That's because I don't have a latest picture. :razz:

I'm on the fence about fraxel still. I think more time needs to pass before it's considered safe and effective. How many new, great lasers have we seen come, go, and bomb? If I do something, I want to make sure there is little risk.

Marino: I'm still confused. So what you're saying is that it's trial and error and you can't tell which kinds of scars will respond to injections?

I would never get perm filler- it's too risky and I know it can harden or migrate or cause bumps. If I were to get fillers, I'd decided on restalyne since there's virtually no allergic reactions and it's natural.

BOTOX freaks me the hell out! I have this vision of it feeling weird, ya know?

I really think these sorts of microderms would work best for young people who haven't amassed massive damage to their skin

Why do you say this?

I had mine done by an aestitician at my derm's office. I strongly advise against having it done at a salon

What did she do to you?

I'm not sure I expressed myself right but the microderm (or miniderm) I did/do isn't the kind that draws blood like I've read here. My god, I would never do something like that, certainly not many times.

This micro is just pretty aggressive but I look red afterward for like 24 (it fades) hours and for the next 2 days tanned. Then I peel.

I'm glad I went with my intuition to do it myself.

Guest Marino
Marino: I'm still confused. So what you're saying is that it's trial and error and you can't tell which kinds of scars will respond to injections?

in a nut shell- thats about right.

EVERYONE is differnt when it comes to fillers, some peoples bodies reject it, some people respond permanently.

My shallow scaring responds well, while my deeper scaring didn't evan smooth out. My mother, had the opposite results, her box scars along with subsicon completely flattened out.

Hopesprings: i agree, micro does work, but very very slowly.

For the price your paying @ zero risk of complication or downtime, i can honestly say its not a bad idea.

Good luck with TCA cross, though i still strongly recomend you replace micro with needling. Like micro, your dont get any pigment changes from needling, you can still go in the sun and have no complications, also it may be just as cheap as micro for you if you do it yourself [i.e: self needling]. I honestly believe at one month intervals, you'd be fine within 9-12 months, thats not including the progess you have from micro.

Hey Marino, also curious where and by who did u get got your restalyne done.

i think we should keep these replies restricted to the posters topic.

of NOT GIVING A DAMN ABOUT ACNE SCARS !! :D

because honestly after reading these posts, i feel better than having 1000000000 laser treatments.