Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bradlee

Pros / Cons of Popping a Pimple

So, is it really that bad for you where it leaves scars? Or does it actually help clear the pimple faster by squeezing out all the white puss and maybe a tad of blood? (I'm reffering to when the pimple's head is clearly shown).

I do notice definate redness after doing this, but it goes away eventually. Should I continue to squeeze these suckers - or leave them alone and let bp do its work on them -- yet I'd have to walk around with a big whitehead on my face all day? :/

What do you think, and what are your pros/cons about this?

If you have to do it, don't do it with your hands. You might cause another breakout in the surronding areas of the active pimple because of the backteria from your finger nails and hands. I use a Q-Tip with some rubbing alcohol to clean it up.

The less you pop your pimples the less break outs you'll have.

pros:

1. the pimple disappears faster

2. the white stuff is ugly/gross

3. u can cover it wiv make up

cons:

1. scars

2. it may infect other areas of ur skin

So, is it really that bad for you where it leaves scars? Or does it actually help clear the pimple faster by squeezing out all the white puss and maybe a tad of blood? (I'm reffering to when the pimple's head is clearly shown).

I do notice definate redness after doing this, but it goes away eventually. Should I continue to squeeze these suckers - or leave them alone and let bp do its work on them -- yet I'd have to walk around with a big whitehead on my face all day? :/

What do you think, and what are your pros/cons about this?

Ive noticed I have such problems that I cant not pop one because it bothers me so much. And I always regret it because, well, i make everything worse. Try covering it up with makeup, if it does any good. Makeup never works for me, but it does satisfy somepeople. But If you are like me and just have to do it, I know some things that can help. When doing it, sterilize a needle and lightly prock the center. After you wash your hands, gently squeeze the crap out. Afterwards, try holding a lemonslice on the area. I heard it can help balance the PH and rid severe post scarring. Havent tried it yet, but heard it works better

if u wash ure hands before popping them will it make it less likely to infect other areas ?

Guest yahyah

leave it alone!!! It will heal faster if you just let the bp do its job and it won't scar or spread. think about a whitehead like a scab on your knee... you're body manifests it for some godamn reason.. you wanna peel the scab off but its actually allowing the skin underneath to 'rebuild' etc. Pull the scab off and the skin underneath either isn't formed yet and bleeds... (then another scabs comes) or.. it doesn't bleed but the skin is still damaged and hence it scars...

so, moral of the story. Don't pop the whitehead.. it'll come off on its own and when it does all the stuff inside will go with it.. it won't spread, won't bleed, won't scar. Just suffer it for a few days.

I have to pop it. Its like my face is a road and there's this bump in the middle of it. I have to deflat it. Yes it gets all the white stuff out and does bleed. But after I put pressure on it I put some astringent on it and in the morning its gone.

I feel that if I don't pop it and get it open it won't go away because any medication won't get inside of it unless its open.

And what about when u pop but you feel that it has just popped under your skin.. i love that feeling.

Guest tvirus_outbreak

lol! yeah i know what you mean. It feels like you just got rid of something really bad.

oi seriouzly dont fukn pop it it will fuk ur skin up and just give u more put some benzoyl perodixe shit on and it will fuk da pimple off in now time.. wheenever i get the occasional pimple i put that shit on and its gone in like 1-2days fukn easy shit dont pop the fuckerz

Try not to pop it unless its huge and a visible whitehead and you can lance the white part with a clean, sterile needle. Then GENTLY squeeze out the white puss ONLY. Stop if ANY clearish or bloody liquid comes out. Use a kleenex or toilet paper over your fingers instead of bare fingertips or fingernails (increases chance of infection!). Then put tea tree oil and BP on it (ice it for 15 minutes if you want), and leave it alone! Dont pick the scab or mess with it anymore, leave it and let it heal. I only recommend popping the zit if its huge and unbearable and needs to be popped! Be sure to do it right or you will risk pushing it deeper in, scarring your skin and infecting other pores.

popping a pimple:

Pros:

- NONE! Except perhaps the illusion that your skin will get better faster cuz you're supposedly removing impurities

Cons:

- scars!

- red marks that take forever to go away

- broken capillaries

- bruising

- inflammation

- possible infection

- bump will return in same spot

- damages skin making it more susceptable to future breakouts

- people asking what the hell happened to your face

leaving a pimple alone

Pros:

- will heel faster

- red mark only lingers for a short time

- skin is healthier, stronger, more resilient to future breakouts

Cons:

- well... you'll just have to live with that bump on your face for a couple days... but isn't that a hell-of-a lot better than the cons of popping it?

popping a pimple:

Pros:

- NONE! Except perhaps the illusion that your skin will get better faster cuz you're supposedly removing impurities

Cons:

- scars!

- red marks that take forever to go away

- broken capillaries

- bruising

- inflammation

- possible infection

- bump will return in same spot

- damages skin making it more susceptable to future breakouts

- people asking what the hell happened to your face

leaving a pimple alone

Pros:

- will heel faster

- red mark only lingers for a short time

- skin is healthier, stronger, more resilient to future breakouts

Cons:

- well... you'll just have to live with that bump on your face for a couple days... but isn't that a hell-of-a lot better than the cons of popping it?

and what will u put on that while its not formed to whitehead/yellowhead yet, and what after that?

does a office that is not soo clean, i mean a factory that has aluminium, and mcuh more raw materials, and a really bad smell.. can cause to inflamantory pimples? and how they hell can i prevent it... i mean i never had such pimples only regular whiteheads only since half year ago i started using differin to smooth my skin and remove blackheads... i got 3 of those in a half year, this crap leaves a sign if u dont treat it right, thats why im getting nuts here

I have to be honest here: I find the pros of popping a pimple far outweigh the cons. BUT, it depends on how you do it.

I wait until the pimple is absolutely ready to pop, then I wash my face and hands, go for it, and immediately apply pressure with a tissue to the spot to keep it from oozing or bleeding. This also keeps the bacteria from spreading to other spots. Then, the pimple is mostly dried up by the next day and is gone in the next 2-3 days.

I think popping or not is a personal decision for each person. You cannot be careless in how you do it if you choose to do it, and you have to be aware of the fact that it could scar afterwards. But for me, popping is the way to go.

dont pop unless it has a head! i have tons of scars from popping headless pimples. mostly cysts, but still. this picture (which i have posted elsewhere) is evidence of my scars more than 4 months after popping pimples without heads.

post-38630-1144446048_thumb.jpg

post-38630-1144446048_thumb.jpg

dont pop unless it has a head! i have tons of scars from popping headless pimples. mostly cysts, but still. this picture (which i have posted elsewhere) is evidence of my scars more than 4 months after popping pimples without heads.

Those don't look like scars, maybe some hyperpigmentation from popping. That should be easily covered by makeup. When I think of acne scars, I think of indentions.

Popping a pimple that has already come to a head with a professional comedone extractor that you can buy at virtually any pharmacy is actually rather safe. It speeds up the healing process by quite a bit actually.