Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LibbyM

A POLL: Please share how Accutane affected your EYESIGHT & Scars

Hi,

I've been meaning to ask you guys this for a long time, and I'm sorry to be posting here on the scar forum when my question is MOSTLY about eyesight, but I know that many people who are here have probably already taken Accutane. I do have a question about scarring also.

I have always been suspicious about the fact that they say that, although Accutane causes blurred vision on a TEMPORARY basis, they never talk about how it can affect you on a PERMANENT basis.

I have horrible eyesight. I'm considered legally blind. My siblings all wear glasses, but my prescription is twice as bad as theirs, and I'm the only one of them who took Accutane (and I took it 3 times).

I have only met two other people in my life who have taken accutane, and both of them had really, really thick glasses like mine. So I just thought I'd ask around and get a poll going. I really think that if it causes permanent damage, they should make that much more clear on the label. If I'd known about this side effect, I may not have taken the Accutane. I really believe it also caused permanent dryness to my skin, and I wonder if this could have even affected my reproductive organs.

I also think they should warn about the fact that the Accutane can make your scarring worse, during the first few months of a breakout, and the dermatologist should go over this with the patients before giving it to them. This happened to me also. If you've had a bad experience with this, please let me know.

Sometimes I get worried that I could go completely blind one day because I took Accutane. Eye doctors are always taken aback by how bad my eyesight is. I've read on the net that there are some other people who've complained of accutane causing vision problems, which lasted even after the treatment stopped, but thought I'd ask you guys.

I want to send this to the company that manufactures Accutane and tell them they should warn people about this stuff. If there are a lot of other people who are saying the same thing, and it's documented in this post, then maybe they'll feel a little more accountable and write it in bigger letters on the box.

Thanks.

Libby

I took accutane and have not had a change in vision thus far. It has been six months off.

I had bad vision to start with and have worn glasses/contacts since I was 10. I went to the eye Dr. for my yearly, and it's still the same, so it didn't make my sight worse.

I can't comment on the scarring, because I had scars pre-tane.

I'm sorry to hear about your vision loss.

My eyes are significantly dryer since I took Accutane. The dryness improved somewhat during my first two years post-Accutane. However, I still can't tolerate contact lenses well due to ongoing dryness. My visual acuity was not affected by Accutane. I'm nearsighted and my eyeglass prescription stabilized in my early twenties. I took Accutane when I was around 27 or so I think.

My skin's noticeably dryer post-Accutane. I think dryness contributed to my post-Accutane scarring. (My acne came back after Accutane. It took me awhile to figure out that moisture helped with my skin's healing.)

i have to say that i did notice a difference in my eyes after i ended accutane, my far sight vision is blurrier now, and my eyes are way dryer. I wake up in the morning and i cant see a thing bc my eyes are so dry.

I have to stress how much accutane does affect scars, it makes skin scar so much easier, at least it did to me and i have read a post on how it did to many others, and youre right, i was not warned about this and the docs should strongly warn about this scarring.

I also have to mention that i had horrible back and muscle pains for a while after accutane, but thank god they have gone away.

Well i hope this helps.

natali

Thank you guys for your responses.

My theory is that your vision needs a certain amount of lubrication to be good, and your eyes need it to be healthy (just like Dance mentioned you need moisture to heal a scar) so if that lubricant is stripped, there will be problems later on. I suppose the people at Roche (or wherever they make accutane) are in the acne business and not opthalmology so maybe they don't think of this stuff.

Emmanuel, I'm glad to hear you haven't really had any major problems!!

Dance, I'm sorry to hear about your eyesight too. Luckily you are able to treat it with eyedrops. And that's really smart for you to figure out that moisture helps healing. I hadn't thought of that before.

On that topic, I do notice that when I drink a good amount of water, a lot of my problems with dryness do seem to do down a little (like eye dryness, skin dryness). I still think this makes it so that I am just "back to normal," but at least it helps - especially if I've had coffee or cola, which I've finally realized, really are big dehydrators and make my contacts more irritated.

Natali, you mentioned having back problems - I'm glad to hear they went away. This year I started getting TERRIBLE lower back pain. I keep thinking about how they say minimal bone changes are seen in people who've taken accutane and the long term effects are unknown. I'm just praying that has nothing to do with my back pain.

Anyway thanks again everyone for your responses.

Libby

Libby -

I had terrible cystic acne for 13 years and took accutane when it first came out about 20 years ago. I took probably the strongest dose possible for 2 or 3 months and the dr. monitored my liver enzymes to make sure there was no liver inflammation caused. It cured the cysitc acne. I am not sure if it made the scarring worse since I had a bad case anyway. My vision was unaffected and I had no problems with my liver. I had no residual eye dryness although I do remember some temporary dryness for 6 months or so.

Accutane did what no other treatment could do at that time which was to cure my severe cystic acne. My efforst since then have been on reducing the appearence of the scarring.

Take care.

Dan

Thanks, I'm glad too! I was very afraid of vision problems while on 'tane, it is the one thing that can be a permanent problem and is documented as such. That's why I spent $20 on eyedrops every few weeks and used them 2x a day. The eyefrops I got were more expensive because they are revolutionary, according to someone's eye Doctor. While on 'tane last year I kept advising people to use them, but I'm not sure if they listened...:doubt: Maybe they would help you out now? They were Refresh Endura drops. :)

I hope your eyes get better. :(

I had absolutely perfect vision before going on accutane, and I still have absolutely perfect vision 8 years after coming off of accutane. It also had no effect on my vision while I was taking it. The only thing it did was dry my skin permanently, but I have experienced no other side effects. Allergy medication has been far worse.

I've met a few folks with vision problems from Accutane (mostly night vision issues), and one who had lost her hearing while on Accutane.

I still have perfect vision hearing and everything else. I had no probs whatsoever other than dry lips. I have ahd three small zits that went away without a problem since accutane which was started 6 1/2 months ago been off about a month and a half. It made my skin look great and it still looks really good. I dont have red marks and uneven skin tone and my scars are not too bad anymore. I had a breakout while on retin a micro that left some scars before tane so I think a lot of it was just gicving them time to heal up, but the accutane worked really well. I had pretty greasy skin washing 2 times daily and using those clean and clear strips 2-3 times a day to soak up oil. I now wash in the morning and could skip that if I had to without looking dirty. I LOOOOOOVE accutane. Best thing I ever did just should have done it sooner.

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks guys for the new posts. It's good to hear there are so many people who did not feel like it made their eyesight any worse, though I do think there could be a certain percentage of the accutane users that experience side effects (like vision problems) that may be in greater numbers than they estimated.

I heard on the news the other day that there was a drug - i think ambien - that causes people to get up in the middle of the night and walk to the fridge, pig out and then go back to sleep. They're asleep the whole time. Apparently this is a bigger issue than the people thought it would be, so I'm wondering what they're going to find out about accutane years down the road.

I have tried Refresh drops, they are awesome! They're not cheap but they are worth it.

Libby

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks guys for the new posts. It's good to hear there are so many people who did not feel like it made their eyesight any worse, though I do think there could be a certain percentage of the accutane users that experience side effects (like vision problems) that may be in greater numbers than they estimated.

I heard on the news the other day that there was a drug - i think ambien - that causes people to get up in the middle of the night and walk to the fridge, pig out and then go back to sleep. They're asleep the whole time. Apparently this is a bigger issue than the people thought it would be, so I'm wondering what they're going to find out about accutane years down the road.

I have tried Refresh drops, they are awesome! They're not cheap but they are worth it.

Libby

Hello! I know this thread was started up a loong time ago. But did you ever find out more about this? I got Accutane in 2003 and I have had vision problems ever since. Photophobia and problems seing things clearly which makes it hard to read for instance. And I get dizzy if I try to much. Thank you!

no vision problems here. the only lasting effects for me have been my lips are still frequently dry and crack sometimes (no biggie .. just use chapstick). Skin isnt nearly as oily as before which is awesome, though some oil did come back. I dont think it did anything for scars .. i saw no worsening and i suppose that my scars have probably improved very slightly since accutane but am not really sure. My skin looks much better than when i started it obviously. I did have some hair loss while on accutane and i SWEAR my hair falls out much more now than what it used to. I am not going bald and the hair loss is not noticeable, but i do notice my hair falling out much more than wat it used to. All in all it was TOTALLY worth it .. no more cystic acne or ridiculously greasy skin.

no vision problems here. the only lasting effects for me have been my lips are still frequently dry and crack sometimes (no biggie .. just use chapstick). Skin isnt nearly as oily as before which is awesome, though some oil did come back. I dont think it did anything for scars .. i saw no worsening and i suppose that my scars have probably improved very slightly since accutane but am not really sure. My skin looks much better than when i started it obviously. I did have some hair loss while on accutane and i SWEAR my hair falls out much more now than what it used to. I am not going bald and the hair loss is not noticeable, but i do notice my hair falling out much more than wat it used to. All in all it was TOTALLY worth it .. no more cystic acne or ridiculously greasy skin.

i had some vision problems for a bit e.g. nightblindness (eyes would sting if i looked at things in the dark) and some eye senstivity during the day. i think its going away now ive dropped my dose.