Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
black spring

Asprin Mask + Aloe Vera Gel

Hi, I just wanted to share something that's worked amazingly well for me. I've often used the aspirin mask in the past to help calm my skin down/clear things up/reduce redness. It's always worked quite well and leaves my skin nice and smooth. I would mix it straight up with water and nothing else (sometimes I would add some yogurt which was also great at really brightening my complexion afterwards, but was also very messy...). As many of you who have ever used the aspirin mask know, it's effective but can get quite messy as it dries, coming off in big flakes the longer you leave it on.

I also just started using the pure aloe vera gel, based on the raves I read here, and I can say that I have not been disappointed with its tremendous healing properties - way better than polysporin, in my opinion.

Well, last week I had this annoying pimple that got all red and came to a head, and although I had been good about it all through the weekend, on Monday night I couln't help myself and carefully drained it (hot compress first, a gentle prick with a sterilized needle and then pressing down on the sides of it with tissues covered fingers)...I had something I was going to on thursday night (or rather, someone I was seeing...) I and I figured that I'd rather give the thing a few days to heal rather than risk popping it sometime thursday afternoon (as a recovering picker, I know that I tend to do rash things like that in fits of desperation/perfectionism). So I slapped some polysporin and a bandaid on that night. The next morning I woke up, took off the bandaid, and instead of a flattened and healing blemish, the thing was still a bit raised (though no head) and angry red looking! Reading through posts here, I went out and bought some aloe vera, and put it on, this worked well at getting rid of some of the redness, plus it was soothing and I could feel it helping.

Then, the amazing thing happened: I remembered reading that some people add aloe vera to their aspirin masks! I had done this in the past with a diffferent aloe vera (Jason's gel), which had a lot of other things added to it like withch hazel, and it never made a difference, but the pure aloe vera was working sooo much better than the Jason's gel that I thought, why not give it a go? So I mixed up an aspirin mask, added a squirt of aloe gel and smeared it all over my face, putting a huge glob over this blemish that was starting to scab and still BRIGHT red. I let it dry and then left it on longer (probably about half an hour to an hour. The results? nothing short of miraculous! When I washed off the mask, all the red was sucked right out of the blemish so that although there was a bit of a scab it was hardly noticable from a distance. Over another half an hour, a bit of the redness came back, but nothing like before, so I whipped up a smaller aspirin mask and just spot treated, again leaving it on for a long time. Once again, after washing it off, the redness was considerably decreased. I put another spot treatment on before bed and slept with it on. I kept up a steady series of aspirin/aloe spot treatments over the next days, up until thursday afternoon.

By the way, that's the great thing about mixing thepure aloe gel with the aspirin mask: no more flakies from the mask. The aloe somehow seems to bind with the aspirin mask so that the whole thing stays put on your skin much longer, almost like a glue. This means that I can actually sleep with it on and not have it crumble off in my sleep!

In the end, I was able to go out on the Thursday night with no visible sign of the blemish (remember, I drained the pimple monday night, but it was almost worse the next morning, so we're talking a healing time of about two and half days - I first tried the aloe/aspirin combo on Tuesday night)! I'm not saying that this will work for everyone - I did wait a while before I drained the pimple to begin with, which also may have helped with the healing time. However, my results and healing time were so miraculous that I just had to share (normally my skin heals VERY slowly, plus I'm quite pale, so my red marks seem to hang around forever, as do my scabs, usually...)!

When you say pure aloe vera gel, are you talking about from the plant or the bottles with the 100% gel?

I've got it on my face right now. I'll agree that aloe is definitely a better choice than water both because it sticks and because it's more healing. Well, we'll see how this goes. I'll substitute my usual QH or Proactiv Mask spot treatment for this the next couple nights.

Just for reference I've used aspirin before but it was at a point when I was putting so much shit on my face that it was causing for harm then good.

When you say pure aloe vera gel, are you talking about from the plant or the bottles with the 100% gel?

I used the gel from a bottle, but I'm sure that gel from a plant would work just as well...I just don't have one in the house, but seeing how well aloe vera has been working for me lately, I'll probably be getting one soon (I hear that they're easy to look after, which is good news for me and my black thumb...)

Also, good luck rubber sheep, and keep us posted with your results. :D

Another thing I like about how this mask stays on with the aloe vera (which I add after the aspirins have dissovled/crumbled with a few drops of hot water) is that it serves the same purpose for me as bandaids. What I mean by that is that it forms a protective layer between my fingers and the healing blemish - something very important for a recovering picker like myself who can do all kinds of damage with her fingers...especially on those little bumps and scabs that need to be left alone! With this version of the aspirin mask on my face, even when my fingers stray to my face and probe the area where the blemish is, the mask doesn't flake off, leaving my blemish safe and pick free :angel:

Oh, and one more thing I should mention: when you are ready to wash off the aloe/aspirin mask, please remember to be *EXTRA GENTLE* this goes especially for those who have new wounds or scabs on their skin!

I want to emphasize this point because this version of the aspirin mask sticks more to the stick like glue, so if you just try and peel off chunks of it as you're washing, you may end up taking off your scabs as well, which is not what we want (we just want to speed up the healing time - scabs included - if we can). I moisten the mask considerable, splashing my face with water and *GENTLY* make tiny circular motions over the mask with my fingers. If it's not coming off easily, I don't force it, I just splash again with more water and repeat the process until the mask begins to disolve. This may take some time, but it leaves me with baby smooth, glowy skin.

Remember, treat your skin with care and it should respond well. :D

I'm definitely thinking of using an aspirin mask this weekened, just so I can bring everything to the surface, and hopefully minimize my red marks in the process. I'll most likely use the aloe vera with it. Thanks for info black spring!

Is my face supposed to look redder temporarily in the spots where I had the aspirin on, after I wash it off? That's what happened. But a couple things have come to heads today so thats good.

i was browsing around and i found this older topic and i was woundering, i have no active acne anymore, just redness from about 3-4 month old acne... will this also help with that kind of redness?

Hey blackspring, thanks alot for your help. So Ive had these old red marks on my cheeks from past acne spots, but they WONT leave, Ive tried EVERYTHING. Will this aspirin/aloe vera mask help remove/fade these marks?

Can I mix the aloe vera with the aspirin and leave it on at night? The bad thing is that the aspirin falls off my face (it becomes a powder after I apply it)

So your saying I just let the aspirin dissolve in a little water, and then add some aloe vera?

Thanks alot for the help man.

Hey blackspring, thanks alot for your help. So Ive had these old red marks on my cheeks from past acne spots, but they WONT leave, Ive tried EVERYTHING. Will this aspirin/aloe vera mask help remove/fade these marks?

Can I mix the aloe vera with the aspirin and leave it on at night? The bad thing is that the aspirin falls off my face (it becomes a powder after I apply it)

So your saying I just let the aspirin dissolve in a little water, and then add some aloe vera?

Thanks alot for the help man.

Hi JJRed4 (and everyone else who followed this thread earlier...),

At the moment I'm madly trying to finish off my Master's thesis, so I've been staying away from the boards and haven't been reading or posting anything (until tonight's fit of procrastination, that is). So sorry not to have replied to earlier posts.

In answer to your questions, I can't say what the results for your older red marks will be for sure - the amazing results I had were with a "fresh" red mark - since everyone's skin is different. That said, I do find, from personal use, that repeated application of the aspirin mask does improve my older red marks and help them fade more quickly over time compared to when I don't use it (I have very pale skin, and know how you feel about red marks that just seem to hang around FOREVER!). It also helps to brighten and unify the overall tone of my skin, which in turn makes the marks less noticeable, even if they're still there (have you ever noticed how your marks look a thousand times worse on those days when your skin is dull and dehydrated and just generally 'blah'?).

And yup, just let the aspirin dissolve in a little water, then add a squeeze of pure aloe vera gel, mix, and apply...I've started using an empty 35mm film container for my mixing as I've found this allows me to get just the right amount of water for the aspirin to dissolve: I dump in about 4-5 aspirin, which cover the bottom of the container perfectly, then I run the HOT tap for a little while until the water heats up (I read somewhere that warm water helps the aspirin dissolve faster), then I turn the tap almost off, until there's the tiniest trickle and quickly flash the container under this. This usually is enough to just cover the tablets. Another way I have found that works well is to rinse the film container out first, but not drying it so that there is a little bit of water on the bottom, then just dropping the aspirin tablets in and swirling it around or flipping them over until they're coated in the water. Either way, within a few minutes, the aspirin should begin to visibly swell up a little and crumble. At this point I add the squeeze of aloe and mix together with my finger, then smear this on my face - either all over or just on the spots I wich to treat.

Like I said in an earlier post, this version of the aspirin mask adheres VERY well to skin - almost like a glue - and I have had no problems leaving it on all night, with about 90-95% of the mask still intact (and stuck on my face) the next morning.

*Just a note on overnight and extended use of the aspirin mask in general*

This mask IS very effective, but I have found that it is good to take breaks from it every once in a while, or just spot check with it during those breaks in order to keep it working well for me in the long run. That way it works for me the times I really need it to. Sometimes I will use it every day, or even multiple times a day, for a week to help heal and clear things up/calm them down, but if I push past this period, it sometimes starts to dull my skin, strangely - no break outs, just not the glowing, bright-skinned results of before. This is when I know it's time to take a break. Essentially this is just a great exfoliant (with the aloe adding to its healing properties), so I guess, overtime it can only exfoliate so much...

That said, it is AMAZING, and just as important, it's amazingly cheap! And the aspirin mask with aloe is definitely one of my mainstay weapons against zits!

hope this helps answer your questions, and good luck...for older red marks you will have to use it more than once (though, if you don't have active acne at the moment, you might want to try using it 2-3 times a week rather than everyday)...but it should help to fade them. I also should add here that since I've been using the pure aloe vera gel as a treatment/moisturizer, just washing my face with warm water and a microdermabrasion cloth in the morning, cleansing with a gentle milk at night (La Roch Posay's hydraphase cleansing milk), and spot treating with the aspirin/aloe mask when necessary, my red marks in general have been taking less time to fade than before - so in my case, treating my skin gently has been the best treatment, allowing it to heal itself...but I think I really had mild acne that I would make worse by picking and slathering it with harsh treatments, which is probably why it's responding so well to this new gentle approach.

p.s. I picked up a tube of Avene's Diacneal a few weeks ago (on sale for $19.99 CAD at a Shopper's Drug Mart in Montreal!!!) and am gradually working out my usage regime with that (trying to listen to my skin, backing off for a week at one point), since I'm trying to avoid any irritation...I'm cautiously optimistic about this product at the moment, but want to wait a few more weeks before I come to any conclusions, at which point I'll be posting my feelings on one of the current diacneal threads...

Ok thanks a ton man, I still dont know how much water to add to the aspirin, do you just add enough so its a paste of water or more of aspirin? Im still kinda confused...?

Thanks for your help.

Ok thanks a ton man, I still dont know how much water to add to the aspirin, do you just add enough so its a paste of water or more of aspirin? Im still kinda confused...?

Thanks for your help.

Are you asking whether it should be more watery or more solid? Really, it's sort of up to you: you want it to be able to spread over your face without being too runny, so in my experience, I add the least amount of water to dissolve the aspirin, that is, to make them crumble up and become damp. I find that adding the aloe gel increases the liquidity of the paste, so I prefer to the water/aspirin paste (the mask before the aloe is added) to be more aspirin than water; the added aloe creates the right consistency for spreading over the face.

Ultimately, though, you'll figure out what works best for you - go ahead and experiemnt with water/aspirin ratios, you're not going to be harming yourself if it's more watery or more aspirin-y

Also, I've read of some people making an aspirin toner by dissolving one tablet of aspirin in some warm water and then spreading this on with a cotton ball and just leaving it...so if your mixture does end up being very runny, you might consider making the toner out of it instead (it's supposed to keep a couple days max, though).

hope this helps :)

This sounds like a great trick. I've never had masks do anything for me before but I've heard so many good things about the aspirin mask that I think I have to try this. My skin has responded well to BP and I plan to continue using it indefinitely, but this seems like it would help the tone texture of my skin beyond what I already do with manual toothbrush exfoliation. Thank you very much for posting this!

the aloe vera with menthol is very good and is makes ur face cool .. so if u have painful pimples then this will deifnitely do the trick ... aloe vera is ususally made for burns and sunburn and some have menthol in them for the cooling effects .. so deifnitely give that a try with the aspirin. Anyone no why apirin masks work so well?

Beta Hydroxy Acid and Irritation

Beta hydroxy acid appears to be less irritating than alpha hydroxy acid even though it penetrates deeper into the pore. This occurs because salicylic acid is derived from acetylsalicylic acid, or aspirin. Aspirin has anti-inflammatory properties, and salicylic acid retains many of these anti-inflammatory properties. Despite this fact, beta hydroxy acid can still cause skin irritation. Symptoms of irritation include redness, burning, itching, pain, and possibly scarring. People with darker colored skin are at a higher risk of scarring pigment changes with beta hydroxy acid.

notice aspirin in that description?

hey i am on a budaget and i have thias stuff laying around the house its not pure aloe vera gel heres the ingredient and i was wondering if it would work just as well

Certified organic herbal infusion of green tea, lavender,

calendula, chamomile, echinacea, ginkgo biloba, certified organic aloe vera,

vegetable glycerin, panthenol, d-alpha tocopherol (Vitamin E),

hydroxy-ethylcellulose, certified organic lavender essential oil, menthol,

polysorbate 20, phenoxyethanol, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate and allantoin.

100% Vegetarian Ingredients.and heres the link

ive been hearing that 100% is the way to go, i got mine in a pretty big bottle for like $7, but you can try that stuff and see if it helps

I've never heard of an aspirin mask until now. Which one is the best ans what exactly does it work on? How many times do you put it on?

tried it last night, wasnt very successful with the mask. is there a certain type of aspirin that works best? i'm currently using Bayer aspirin and when i dissolve it, its still kinda grainy. if i add more water, then the aspirin would just be really watered and would run down my face if applied.

all u do is dissolve the thing in hot water, then u use ur figner to scoop that grain shit and apply it on ur face, so it looks like u have sand on ur face, then apply it to all of ur face and there u have a mask

Guest fatallyours

are aspirin masks safe for people on accutane?

Any aspirin will work? I'm thinking about trying this method, but my family only use advil so I dont have any aspirin in my house. I'm gonna go buy it tom. But I"m not sure which kind to buy?