Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dlh2oboi

19 year old male Accutane Journal

hey everyone!

let me start by giving some background info.. i'm a 19 year old male who's been struggling with acne since the age of 12 or so. i've tried proactive, retin-a, clindamycin, minocycline, erythromycin, tazorac, you name it! my acne isn't that severe.. i don't get cysts that often but when i do they often end up on my nose and they scar. i have on average 6-7 active breakouts on my face at any given time. i also have terribly oily skin, that i'm hoping accutane will help with. well, i finally started a regimen of 40mg of accutane a day (20mg split into two doses) on february 22nd. this is supposed to last for 18 weeks. at night im still applying tazorac, at least until my skin begins to dry out. i also take 1 pill of erythromycin (to prevent the initial breakout) and 1 pill 400eu vitamin e every day. i wash day/night with cetaphil and also use cetaphil's moisturizer with spf during the day. i'm keeping this log in hopes that people can help me through this and give any input to help my treatment. thanks you guys!

WEEK ONE/WEEK TWO

well.. not that much has changed. my lips have started to dry out and i have to apply carmex every few hours or so. my skin doesn't look that different, it does look a big more red than usual and i believe some blackheads are getting pushed to the surface. my skin is still pretty oily though.. do you guys remember when your skin stopped producing oil? i've been getting tiny whiteheads in random areas, and i also got a cyst on my chin area the other day.. i think my skin has been healing alot slower too. meh. my scalp also itches periodically, but other than that i haven't felt any major side effects.

anyway, the two week mark is in two days, so i'll update with any news when the time comes. any comments would be appreciated guys! thanks!

If your cetaphil cream is like the one I use, it leaves the skin very oily feeling/looking for hours after applying it, which makes it hard to tell if 'tane is doing the trick or not. I skipped applying it one morning a few days ago though and my skin was looking pretty ruddy and dry, so i'm pretty sure the 'tane is working. Going on 6 weeks on it so far.

Other than that, yeah.. it takes a while for it to do its thing. It's probably going to be a long road ahead before you see any major results with the acne, but it'll happen and it will definitely be worth it.

We started around the same day (me on Feb 27th) so I will follow your log to see how you are progressing! My skin has already dried out and is starting to peel, kinda like a sunburn, but my skin isn't that oily to begin with. Cetaphil Cream is definitely a must, you have to moisturize even if you don't think you need it yet, or your skin will get so tight and irritated! Good Luck!

WEEK 2

well, not much to report. my skin is still producing oil (i tried skipping the moisturizer on my forehead for day just to see if it would produce oil, and after 3 hours of washing i could still dab a fair amount of oil off with a clean and clear oil absorbing sheet). i got a cyst on my chin a few days ago.. but it's starting to disappear. other than that i have 2 or 3 whiteheads and thats about it. i guess i'm happy about the clearing but i'm not sure if it's the accutane or the erythromycin.. my skin is still kind of reddish, my lips are still dry, and certain areas of my face are peeling.. but WHEN WILL THE OIL STOP! :cry: if anyone has any advice/comments, they'd be appreciated!

anyway.. i'll update again in a week. hopefully i'll have better news by then.

ok this is a little soon (i wasn't planning to update until week 3. but...)

I CURRENTLY HAVE NO ACTIVES! yea my skin is kinda peeling (yet still oily =/.. i wish it'd just stop producing oil, grrr), but as of right now i'm acne free! weee

another update to come =]

WEEK 3

well, i hit the 3 week mark yesterday. so remember how i kept wishing for dry skin? well it finally hit a few days ago... i woke up and my face wasn't oily whatsoever. normally i go through about 4 oil blotting sheets a day, now i can't even fill up 1. a big plus!

the scars seem to be fading pretty fast... my face is still overall kinda red though. i haven't gotten any new breakouts so thats good news. the blackheads on my nose are totally getting pushed to the surface, but (being the stupid and impatient person that i am), i tried squeezing some out and ended up bruising my skin. thats when i realized that once the oil stops producing, your face takes FOREVER to heal!! oh well.. it's been about 3 days and it's almost going away.

no side effects yet.. maybe my eyes/nose is a *little* dryer, but nothing that i can't tolerate (i still have contacts in all day and i haven't gotten a bloody nose). my lips are SOOOO FREAKING DRY, i have to reapply lip balm in the morning, night, and after every meal. how's everyone else doing? as usual, any tips/advice would be great! ok, see you guys in a week