Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i need some help drastically. i dont have bad acne but it got to the point were enough is enough. i recently just bought proactiv but im too scared to use it because i dont think it will actually work. i tried many things up to this date and nothing seemed to help. when i go for a tan(fake n bake) session i notice my acne clear up for the day but when i wake up in the morning i notice more zits then previous. can anyone tell me what they think is causing me to have more zits when i tan? and if anyone tried proactiv can you tell me if it worked for you.

It sounds like you have similar skin to mine....I was in the same boat you were, and probably still am. This is actually my first day on the website, and I'm considering starting this treatment....(?)(?) Still not sure. Proactive didn't work for me, in fact it made my skin worse then it's ever been....I tried it for about two months and I honestly saw ZERO results. I've tried tanning once or twice a week to see if it would dry up my face, but after about 4 months of this my face started to get worse also.

Are you going to try BP?

haha, thats wierd. cuz i joined today to also. i dont think im gonna give it a try. cuz i dont think it will work. many people gave up with this hocus pocus stuff regime. i think in the end that nothing is best for skin. like 2 weeks ago i had probably like only 3 zits on total on my face or maybe even one. i didnt use anything. then as soon as i tried mixing and matchin stuff on my face i knoticed it got a lot worse. i heard masterbation is good also. because u get acne and zits from a hormone called testosterone. im sure everyone is familiar with that. and releasing some testosterone is also good for the body. when u have high levels of testosterone u produce more sebuum production and oil which causes zits. so u have tried proactiv and it didnt work for u either huh? my face is werid bc i usually give up on most things bc i notice that my skin gets rly bad once i try new things. i think im jus gonna stick to tanning. but the thing is when i do tan i break out more when i tan and put things on my face. so i'll give tanning one more try but cleanse my face rly good before hitting a fake n bake session.

Honestly, I finished up on accutane in august of 04, I was completely clear until I went the the tanning place, I was fine for the first three sessions, but after that...Bam four of em, I am still emotionally scarred from that, so my opinion I will never go in a tanning bed again

serious eh? ya i never use to tan before and i had clear skin. like rly rly nice skin. like as perfect as u see on tv. and then i started tanning. at first it was alright then i stopped for a while and noticed break outs even more. so then i had to continue tanning. its like when i tan ergularly like every other day i dont have zits. but when i stop i have a lotttttttt. i still dont kno wheather or not i should go for a tan today. anyone else kno what i should do? plez continue posting

oh ok, someone said fake and bake

my acne seems to clear up and become less noticable when i tan. i just look and feel better overall. however, it can be damaging, both in the short term and in the long term if you do it incorrectly or do not have the skin for it. make sure that you was your face with something soothing like cetaphil right afterwards [you sweat while you're in there] and put on a soothing moisturizer. oh and don't use any sort of tanning lotion or sunscreen on your face, just go bare and when it feels like you've got enough light, cover up with that towel or turn off the facial bulbs.

damn! i still dont kno what to do. when i tan i also get cold sores. so i dunno. i need help cuz its rly screwing my life over. i dont feel like going anywhere bc of it

how about stop fake baikin and go outside its worse to go to a tannign bed than it is to be outside cus ur in a little dumb box with all that shit on you and yeah tanning can make ur acne worse but it wont make it bad if u go out every once in awhile and shortin the time ur out cus the longer ur out the more u run the risk of burning wich is irriation to the skin wich causes acne

just wear moisturizer at night and every thing will be radical

Tanning has the potential to make your skin 100% clear, but you have to go regularly. Just like the regimen, tanning is simply a treatment for acne, there is no cure. People who say tanning caused them to break out more than likely went tanning a few times and got great results, then they thought they could just stop. The UV exposure is the medicine, and you can't quit using your medicine without having your affliction return. How often do you have to go? That varies depending on whether or not you are using other acne products, and how bad your acne is. If you are not using BP then you will probably have to go tanning nearly every day to keep your skin clear, but it will keep you completely clear. If you are using the regimen then you could probably only go three to four days a week and stay 100% clear.

now im lost. some ppl say that tanning can make acne worse. some say tanning can help. im willing to go every other day and keep this routine focused to get rid of my acne. should i go for it?

haha, thats wierd. cuz i joined today to also. i dont think im gonna give it a try. cuz i dont think it will work. many people gave up with this hocus pocus stuff regime. i think in the end that nothing is best for skin. like 2 weeks ago i had probably like only 3 zits on total on my face or maybe even one. i didnt use anything. then as soon as i tried mixing and matchin stuff on my face i knoticed it got a lot worse. i heard masterbation is good also. because u get acne and zits from a hormone called testosterone. im sure everyone is familiar with that. and releasing some testosterone is also good for the body. when u have high levels of testosterone u produce more sebuum production and oil which causes zits. so u have tried proactiv and it didnt work for u either huh? my face is werid bc i usually give up on most things bc i notice that my skin gets rly bad once i try new things. i think im jus gonna stick to tanning. but the thing is when i do tan i break out more when i tan and put things on my face. so i'll give tanning one more try but cleanse my face rly good before hitting a fake n bake session.

i have pretty mild acne..and i havent even been using the regimen for a week and my face is already clearing up soooo much..its crazy..i have no new break outs..the places i do have are fading..i just started tanning..and it seems to be helping my skin even more..you really should give the regimen a try..every one is different..so it mite work for U but it mite not..theres something out there for eveyone though so if this doesnt work for u just try something else...i never thought id find nething to get rid of my red spots where they used to be..i tried every thing b4 this..even proactive..it didnt really work..but this regimen is def working so u should try it!!! :D

now im lost. some ppl say that tanning can make acne worse. some say tanning can help. im willing to go every other day and keep this routine focused to get rid of my acne. should i go for it?

It's confusing because both answers are correct.

In the SHORT term, tanning can help. I tanned like a maniac all through my 20s for exactly this reason. It dries up your pimples, and the added color hides your red marks. It's damn hard to resist.

But in the LONG term, tanning destroys your skin. It dehydrates the hell out of it. Dehydrated skin is actually more prone to forming comedones, resulting in more overall pimples. You could very well end up with what I had in my 30s: severely dehydrated skin that was wrinkly, pimply and oily all at the same time. NOT ATTRACTIVE. Tanning can also interfere with your skin's ability to heal properly, meaning that you are at additional risk for scarring.

It's your choice, of course. But if I had it to do over, I would have treated my acne with Retin A or something similar, worn sunscreen every day, and stayed the hell away from that tanning salon. It has cost me a lot of time and money to undo some of the damage, and nothing can give me back the years I spent with horrible skin.

serious eh? wow. thats also what i heard. i hear that its bad for u in the long run. but its hard not to. because it gets rid of ur zits and the red marks. so im lost. my dad has rly rly bad skin because he tanned in the past a lot. so im clueless. i just want clear skin sooo badly. but it sounds like im trying to use tanning as a free card out

What if I tanned in the sun instead of in the tanning salon? Wouldn't it be the same effect? They are the same UV rays, no?

I have an idea. Just move to some tropical climate where it is sunny year round. That way you can get even more UV exposure, but people wont be able to rag on you for going tanning. If you ask them, human beings were meant to live in caves away from any and all sunlight :lol: .

Be your own man. I don't want you to take my advice or anyone else's. If you would like to try tanning then go for it. Make sure you commit to it completely though, one session a week will do nothing for you. Decide for yourself if it actually clears up your acne or if it just hides it. For myself it goes much further than "drying up pimples" and "hiding red marks." It improves the texture of my skin and prevents new acne from forming.

Dehydrated skin is actually more prone to forming comedones, resulting in more overall pimples. You could very well end up with what I had in my 30s: severely dehydrated skin that was wrinkly, pimply and oily all at the same time.

It's confusing because both answers are correct.

In the SHORT term, tanning can help. I tanned like a maniac all through my 20s for exactly this reason. It dries up your pimples, and the added color hides your red marks. It's damn hard to resist.

But in the LONG term, tanning destroys your skin. It dehydrates the hell out of it. Dehydrated skin is actually more prone to forming comedones, resulting in more overall pimples. You could very well end up with what I had in my 30s: severely dehydrated skin that was wrinkly, pimply and oily all at the same time. NOT ATTRACTIVE. Tanning can also interfere with your skin's ability to heal properly, meaning that you are at additional risk for scarring.

It's your choice, of course. But if I had it to do over, I would have treated my acne with Retin A or something similar, worn sunscreen every day, and stayed the hell away from that tanning salon. It has cost me a lot of time and money to undo some of the damage, and nothing can give me back the years I spent with horrible skin.

theres no point in telling them that.. they dont care.. it seems like people could care less about the risks until they actually see them.. im only 17 and i have never tanned or plan on tanning.. i guess i just dont see the big deal about frying your skin.

i kno what ur saying. like when i go on vacations to like tropical areas like cuba or anywhere were thier is sun and ocean my face is rly clear. the salt and water mixed with the sun helps and takes away all the pimples. but i dont live in a warm environment like that . canada rly sux when ur trying to do something like that. cold weather most of the time. so basically i revolve around creams and magic..lol. i dont kno what else their is to do.

im only 17 and i have never tanned or plan on tanning

I can tell. Anyone who has tried a UV regimen will tell you that it did wonders for their acne. I didn't know about tanning clearing up acne until I was 19. It's too bad I didn't know back in high school. It would have made it a lot easier to get laid.

I will just add one more thing about tanning, which may explain the tone of timbo's posts:

Tanning is addictive.

As I said before: in the short term, it does help your acne. And it gives you that lovely "healthy" glow. And it does indeed make it much, much easier to get laid. So when your friends point out that you are trashing your skin, you ignore them. After all, THEY don't have acne. What the fuck do they know about anything? YOU have found the answer.

So time goes by.

And then one day you will catch sight of your 30-year-old face in an unfriendly mirror, or reflected in a window, and you will suddenly realize that you have the skin of a 50 year old.

So it goes.

I don't know how old timbo is, but I'm guessing early 20's, MAX.

It's your face. And you only get one.

I will just add one more thing about tanning, which may explain the tone of timbo's posts:

Tanning is addictive.

As I said before: in the short term, it does help your acne. And it gives you that lovely "healthy" glow. And it does indeed make it much, much easier to get laid. So when your friends point out that you are trashing your skin, you ignore them. After all, THEY don't have acne. What the fuck do they know about anything? YOU have found the answer.

So time goes by.

And then one day you will catch sight of your 30-year-old face in an unfriendly mirror, or reflected in a window, and you will suddenly realize that you have the skin of a 50 year old.

So it goes.

I don't know how old timbo is, but I'm guessing early 20's, MAX.

It's your face. And you only get one.

There is much truth in your statements. Tanning is addictive for many reasons. I believe I may have seasonal affective disorder which just piles on another reason for me to make my way into the tanning bed on a regular basis.

I'm aware of the downfalls of tanning, and I wish I didn't have to do it. The sad truth is that I have a disfiguring disease, and I am using the only effective treatment I have found. If my acne went away tomorrow I would probably never go tanning again. For the time being, however, I am going to do whatever it takes to keep my skin clear. Also, at the risk of sounding sexist I have to say that as a man I realize that my youthful looks are not going to matter very much when I get into my 40's. If I were a woman I'm sure I would feel differently.

For the record I am 23 years old, and wise beyond my years ;)