Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scotty

ATTENTION SMOOTHBEAMERS!

OK - I am confused as to how everyone here is having their smoothbeam treatments done.

I called my derm today and told her that I wanted to see if I could have full-face Smoothbeam done. I am so sick and tired of breaking out. (My first trip I just had the scars on my temples and cheeks done and she zapped the few pimples I had on my face at no charge).

She said that they do not do full face smoothbeam - that they treat the scars and zap any active acne lesions. (Since I was paying $200 for the scar treatment she zapped my active acne at no charge). She also went on to say that this is how they do it in New York and Boston? And that doing the whole face is too time consuming with a 6mm thingy (makes sense). And also that doing the whole face would be too painful (also makes sense). She zaps scars at 14 and active acne at 12.

I then asked her about my back and she said it was the same - active lesions zapped (and she would charge $50-$100 more depending on how much needed to be done).

My problem is this - you're not really treating my acne of you are ONLY zapping active pimples (right?). If this is how my treatment is going to be done than it almost makes sense for me to TRY and breakout before my next appointment (AUG 12). This way she has to zap more areas and shrink more sebaceous glands.

Hello50 - you said that the laser has not worked well on your acne - I think this may be because the setting that they are using on your face is too low to sufficiently damage the glands. Also, I think part of the reason it is working as well as it is for your scars is because you are so young (you're scars are newer and your body produces collagen better than the rest of us old fogies).

What do the rest of you make of this?

Scotty,

She said that they do not do full face smoothbeam - that they treat the scars and zap any active acne lesions. (Since I was paying $200 for the scar treatment she zapped my active acne at no charge). She also went on to say that this is how they do it in New York and Boston? And that doing the whole face is too time consuming with a 6mm thingy (makes sense). And also that doing the whole face would be too painful (also makes sense). She zaps scars at 14 and active acne at 12.

I am in Upstate NY -

Yeah I agree with what you're saying completely.

But at the same time I am only paying $200 (whereas full face costs most people $400 or more?).

I can totally understand what she is saying with regards to treating the back. I think it would take forever to cover the entire back with that little gadget.

She also said that they treat the active lesions and not the whole face because the entire face may not have glands that need to be shrunk (are not prone to breakouts). I can kind of agree with this - my cheeks never break out anymore so why would I want to mess with those glands.

So my response to her was to ask if she would treat areas where I KNOW I am prone to breakout and while I can't remember exactly what she said her answer was pretty much no.

Anyway, I want to stay on course with my scar treatments so I'm going to keep my appt. on the 12th and not for nothing but with the amount of acne I have on my back at this moment $100 seems like a steal.

I am going to call the Dr. in Toronto (3 hrs from me) to ask how she does her treatments and see if I can't get a quote from her. Maybe I will finish my treatments there.

Oh and 12 hurt me pretty bad. My eyes were definitely tearing up and I was glad when she was done. I'm not looking forward to 14. 8-[

MaryTheres,

Where do you have your treatments done? I live in the south and cannot seem to find a provider anywhere! Thanks!

Misty

I am in Upstate NY

You sound like you are near where I was married!.... I was married near Letchworth State Park at the Glen Iris.

Anyway sorry to digress...

ask if she would treat areas where I KNOW I am prone to breakout and while I can't remember exactly what she said her answer was pretty much no.

See that right there makes me suspicious.... if it is an area that you are know to break out obviously that area would benefit from some shrinkage of the seabecous glands. I am not a doc but from what knowledge I have picked up form my doc that sounds weird...

But $100 is pretty.... i dunno

Let me know what the doc in Toronto says...

Animie,

Hey I used to live in the south - New Orleans, lived there for a bout three years but don't knwo anything about the derms and docs in the area....

I am Southern New Jersey now.... I work in Philly.

it works for a week with acne and came back

ive experienced the exact same pattern twice with my two last ones.

the thing is it hurts like hell!!!!!!!

so im assumning i need 4 treatments to damage the glands cuz it is working i dont get that much break out

and im off my pills

that person your derm or wahtever is an idiot

dont go to them :-p

Scotty: Here is my experience with SmoothBeam. This type of laser is a pulsed laser that shoots a short burst of light/energy from a wand. This feels like (at least to me) a rubber band smacking against your face pretty hard. My doctor does 20 pulses on each side maybe more or less. He does my whole face.

I also have the Vbeam done and it too is a pulsed laser.

The last laser the doctor uses on me is a Q-Switched Nd:Yag Laser and this laser emits a long stream of light/energy unlike the pulsed lasers. This one feels hot almost like someone is dragging a freshly blown out hot match across my face . I can also smell a little burning, the doctor said it was the find hair on my face being burned off.

If you want a problem area of your face done I can't believe the doctor won't do that area!! I would again talk to the doctor about working with you on the areas that you have most problems. That is not asking to much at all!

But also keep in mind I am treating acne scarring and not acne in itself.

Hello Scotty

I have not yet recieved my first Smoothbeam treatment, but I know that my doc told me she'd be doing my entire face, not just the scarred or broken out areas. It takes pimples a couple of weeks to form, so an area that looks clear today could conceivably be broken out in a couple of weeks. My treatments are costing me $250 per treatment along with another $100 for microdermabrasion. I do not yet know whether my doc will go over my entire face once or several times with the laser during my treatment (I'll let everyone know after my first treatment).

That's a great price. It's crazy to think that people who wear make up need a micro dermabrasin -- just wierd to think that make up remains in the pores for sooo long..

That's a great price.  It's crazy to think that people who wear make up need a micro dermabrasin -- just wierd to think that make up remains in the pores for sooo long..

My doctor explained the need for microderms before the laser treatment like this... He said that some makeup can remain in your pores and cause the laser to reflect off the makeup and not absorb properly. Makeup has properites in it which can act like a mirror causeing the laser to bounce off the skin.

With the microdermabrasion you get the pores very clean so the laser can penetrate better. I too thought that it was not necessary and didn't do it the first two times and I really didn't see any results afterward. I started doing them on the third treatment and it was then that I started to see any kind of results and every time thereafter. Maybe it is a coincidence but it is working for me! I want my pores as clean as possible so the laser can penetrate as well as possible!

Do you have on makeup when you go to the clinic?

No, I don't wear any makeup to my appointment. This is actually the worst part of the whole thing.......leaving the house without makeup. 8-[

I'm wondering if anyone has any before / after pics of the smoothbeam ?

I have almost decided to wait till December to get it since I want to go on vacation in October and I cant afford both but I still think I may get a few treatments in December. For the people who've had it done-- Are you seeing results -- and do you think it's worth the cost? Currently I dont have active acne -- just an occasional one or two bumps but Ive got a few scars and a bit of sun damage that I'd love to go away.