Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, sorry in advance if this is long/whiney/bitchy i just need to get this out of my head and off of my chest. :(

I'm so sick of society and the way they put impossible standards to be "BEAUTIFUL". I hate how you're basically told "you have pimples/acne, you're ugly". I'm so tired of looking in the mirror and just crying my eyes out because according to society's standards i'll never be pretty. I'm not saying that i have world's worst acne case, because i dont and i know people have it alot worst than me its just soo discouraging that society judges you on impossible standards. Its not like we chose to have acne and its not as easy as saying "hokus pokus..no more acne" and voila its clear. Its a struggle and we're all trying. I hate looking in a mirror and just automatically zooming in on each spot. Then trying to fix it by popping it only to get not only more broken out skin but irritated skin too. Then every morning its a lovely routine of caking on the make up to hide my spots and last nights pickfest. Its so unfair that people judge me on just looks. I also think that looking at my skin and seeing all its flaws and it makes me look at everything else in a different perspective. Its like i compare every section and part of my body to the girls i see on tv or in the magazines. I've always had problems with self esteem and acne has made it worse. I have weight issues and other insecurities about my body like a lot of girls do. It makes me so sad to think that everyday thousands of girls are throwing up into toliets so that they can be like lindsay lohan and paris hilton skinny. My friends call me crazy when i poke at my "love handles" and say i still need to lose ten pounds. They tell me i'm crazy and how i only weigh 110 pounds. Its just that when i look in the mirror i see a girl whos not as skinny as she should be. I see fat where im told its not. I cant help it i just want to be a girl that guys can go wow shes gorgeous. I have such a different image of myself than what other people see. My friends tell me i'm skinny, big boobs, nice body and that im pretty but i cant help when i look in the mirror i think wow, my boobs need to be bigger, my butt's too small, my hair is the wrong style, i'm too fat. I'm just soo fed up of looking at magazines for hours and comparing my body to standards that i know are impossible for me to reach. The angelina jolie lips, Eva Langoria/ Jessica Alba Body, pam anderson's boobs, j.lo booty, etc. I just wish that one day society was like the dove commericial where there is girls of all shapes, sizes and looks and theyre still beautiful. I hope that when i have kids they wont have all insecurities and problems i have. For god sakes i'm 16, i should be out on a weekend. Going to partys and having fun, but i'm stuck at home. Scared of what people think of me and finding new regimens to try; Looking up workouts and ways to improve my body so that i can look like paris hilton or angelina jolie. I'm just at such a low and i cant stand to look in the mirror, but i cant not look. I have to, its like a double edged sword. You dont want to look because you know youre gonna be upset, but you have to look because need to know how bad it is. :cry:

Once again, sorry for the long post. I just needed to vent :mad:

Pfffft you're female.

Try being a guy.

Any female can look beautiful and it takes no effort. Just don't be fat and take care of yourself.

Guys... well you have to be born good looking or you never will be. Hurrah.

Guest Hi   Im Bitter

Turn off the TV. Better yet, destroy it.

Honestly... it doesn't seem like you dislike anything about yourself, really (and that's good!). I doubt you'd post your friend's opinions about yourself if you didn't secretly agree... except that you keep comparing yourself to unrealistic standards, aka multi-millionaire celebrities whose job it is to look good. Really, our lives are much easier. We don't have to appear in tabloids and on TV; there's a smaller audience to our imperfections.

You need to distance yourself from all of that; magazines, TV, etc. You recognize the problem and wishing for the media to do a 360 and start displaying the variety of real people isn't going to change anything (at least not for a while). So take it upon *yourself* to change your outlook. You'll feel much better, and I'm sure your friends would appreciate it :). Good luck.

Pfffft you're female.

Try being a guy.

Any female can look beautiful and it takes no effort. Just don't be fat and take care of yourself.

Signed!

Pfffft you're female.

Try being a guy.

Hmmm.

The thing is, females tend to be way less critical of guys' appearances.

I feel like the standard for female beauty is positively ridiculous.

If you have a good personality as a guy and are decent looking you are pretty much set.

If you're a girl and you have acne/weight/anything else problems, they are wayyyyy mor elikely to be highly scrutinized.

Okay, sorry in advance if this is long/whiney/bitchy i just need to get this out of my head and off of my chest. :(

I'm so sick of society and the way they put impossible standards to be "BEAUTIFUL". I hate how you're basically told "you have pimples/acne, you're ugly". I'm so tired of looking in the mirror and just crying my eyes out because according to society's standards i'll never be pretty. I'm not saying that i have world's worst acne case, because i dont and i know people have it alot worst than me its just soo discouraging that society judges you on impossible standards. Its not like we chose to have acne and its not as easy as saying "hokus pokus..no more acne" and voila its clear. Its a struggle and we're all trying. I hate looking in a mirror and just automatically zooming in on each spot. Then trying to fix it by popping it only to get not only more broken out skin but irritated skin too. Then every morning its a lovely routine of caking on the make up to hide my spots and last nights pickfest. Its so unfair that people judge me on just looks. I also think that looking at my skin and seeing all its flaws and it makes me look at everything else in a different perspective. Its like i compare every section and part of my body to the girls i see on tv or in the magazines. I've always had problems with self esteem and acne has made it worse. I have weight issues and other insecurities about my body like a lot of girls do. It makes me so sad to think that everyday thousands of girls are throwing up into toliets so that they can be like lindsay lohan and paris hilton skinny. My friends call me crazy when i poke at my "love handles" and say i still need to lose ten pounds. They tell me i'm crazy and how i only weigh 110 pounds. Its just that when i look in the mirror i see a girl whos not as skinny as she should be. I see fat where im told its not. I cant help it i just want to be a girl that guys can go wow shes gorgeous. I have such a different image of myself than what other people see. My friends tell me i'm skinny, big boobs, nice body and that im pretty but i cant help when i look in the mirror i think wow, my boobs need to be bigger, my butt's too small, my hair is the wrong style, i'm too fat. I'm just soo fed up of looking at magazines for hours and comparing my body to standards that i know are impossible for me to reach. The angelina jolie lips, Eva Langoria/ Jessica Alba Body, pam anderson's boobs, j.lo booty, etc. I just wish that one day society was like the dove commericial where there is girls of all shapes, sizes and looks and theyre still beautiful. I hope that when i have kids they wont have all insecurities and problems i have. For god sakes i'm 16, i should be out on a weekend. Going to partys and having fun, but i'm stuck at home. Scared of what people think of me and finding new regimens to try; Looking up workouts and ways to improve my body so that i can look like paris hilton or angelina jolie. I'm just at such a low and i cant stand to look in the mirror, but i cant not look. I have to, its like a double edged sword. You dont want to look because you know youre gonna be upset, but you have to look because need to know how bad it is. :cry:

Once again, sorry for the long post. I just needed to vent :mad:

Throw out the magazines.

Don't weigh yourself.

Get interested in some kind of sport like running, biking, something where you're not doing it to lose weight but to test your endurance, to be strong and healthy.

No, I don't feel you. I think you have body dysmorphia, or more likely, some kind of attention-starvation problem. Why are you whining to your friends about your body when you know you're thin? How do you think it makes THEM feel when you're bitching about how fat you are? By doing that, you're basically personalizing the media/celebrity effect you criticize. Rather than your friends hearing some nebulous omnimedia message that all girls must be skinny and have perfect skin (which I don't completely buy, I think anyone who blames "the media" for having psychological issues pertaining to their bodies is oversimplifying things), you're actually saying it to them--giving it a whole lot more personal significance and making things harder for them.

Guest PokaHotAz

AMEN NOTHING~!!!

MORE LIKE , "PA LA PINGA CON ESTA MIERDA!"

Pfffft you're female.

Try being a guy.

Hmmm.

The thing is, females tend to be way less critical of guys' appearances.

I feel like the standard for female beauty is positively ridiculous.

If you have a good personality as a guy and are decent looking you are pretty much set.

If you're a girl and you have acne/weight/anything else problems, they are wayyyyy mor elikely to be highly scrutinized.

Exactly.

No, I don't feel you. I think you have body dysmorphia, or more likely, some kind of attention-starvation problem. Why are you whining to your friends about your body when you know you're thin? How do you think it makes THEM feel when you're bitching about how fat you are? By doing that, you're basically personalizing the media/celebrity effect you criticize. Rather than your friends hearing some nebulous omnimedia message that all girls must be skinny and have perfect skin (which I don't completely buy, I think anyone who blames "the media" for having psychological issues pertaining to their bodies is oversimplifying things), you're actually saying it to them--giving it a whole lot more personal significance and making things harder for them.

I dont think i'm thin. I never did say i thought i was thin. All i said is that i'm sick of the way society has put standards for girls to be pretty at impossible levels. I'm just tired of looking in the mirror and feeling like i'll never be good enough. I totally agree that the media isnt the only reason people have psychological issues about their body, but i do think it plays a major part in your thinking. It's just the whole, you want to be fashionable and fit in with what's "popular". I know my friends hate it when i say something about the way i look, but i dont see anything that they see and its not like i do it all the time. I never really say anything unless i pass a mirror and just go eh..i hate the way i look. I try to keep that stuff to myself, because i really don't like attention. I know i'm a hypocrit when i say i hate the media and the way they make girls feel like they have to look like models/celebrities and i'm one of the girls that feels that way. I don't know i guess i can't avoid it. It's all around and it just pounds it into your brain more.

SatanInHeels...Thanks so much for your support. I'm glad i'm not alone. i just wish that everyone wasnt judged so hardly. Maybe one day girls wont have so many problems with their body. Like i said..i wish it was women of all shapes, sizes, color, looks all look beautiful in everyones eyes.

peachplumpear, raleigh, hi im bitter- thanks for the advice. Getting rid of the magazines and tv doesnt sound like a bad idea.

you're so right, i didnt even look at it that way. And i totally agree about the relationship thing, except i usually go after the "put up a front sweet guy, whos a complete asshole as a boyfriend" guy and for some reason i still get butterflies with them. lol