Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, being a broke ass student, kinda my only legal option to get 'tane is to talk my mom into it. How would you do it? She is so scared of the side effects and the extreme cases she hears on the damn news. She won't even believe it does any good. I mean if they do bloodwork and stuff your chances for the side effects are really small right? Thanks

ask her what if you research it extensively for a month and then you can make an informed, grown up decision. this is what finally convinced my mom. also, have her come to the derm with you. then she can ask any questions she has, and i bet the derm will tell her it's well worth the risks in the vast majority of cases, if you take care of yourself chances are it will clear up your acne forever without any lasting side effects. i mean i know there are horror stories that happen, but this is just a very small percentage of patients. i'm sure your mom knows what a struggle acne has been and just wants the best for you,she doesnt want you to get hurt and she knows that while acne sucks, most of the time its not a life threatening condition. have a serious, mature conversation with her about how important this is to you.

Thanks sehnsucht, how do you find a good derm? Ask the family doc for a referral? I'm gonna try to get my mom to come with, but she's so busy all the time. But I heard you have to wait forever to get an appointment anyway.

just tell her many of the side effects happen to like a few cases...but also say that whbe u satrt to feel something or like a side effects then u will tell her and the derm and u can stop anytime

i already had a derm so that wasnt a problem. and shes kind of liek a family friend i've been going to her so often for so long lol so i get appointments whenever i want, she'll 'squeeze me in'.

but if you don't have a derm already, ask around. ask friends, people at school, coworkers, whatever. im sure lots of people have one they really like and can tell you who's good and who to avoid, etc. or you could call your regular hospital or regular doctor and tell them your situation and who would they recomend for this. different derms specialize in different things, so go for the one who deals with acne a lot.

Thanks sehnsucht, how do you find a good derm? Ask the family doc for a referral? I'm gonna try to get my mom to come with, but she's so busy all the time. But I heard you have to wait forever to get an appointment anyway.

It really depends on what insurance plan you are under. Under my HMO through my company, I needed to visit a GP first. I told them right off the bat that I needed to visit a dermatologist to be prescribed on 'tane. They then said it would take a week, I called back, they gave me the number to call. I called the dermatologist and had an appointment in a week. I then went on 'tane the day I visited the dermatologist.

I initially thought that Accutane was very frightening. I declined taking it for over 2 years, even though my dermatologist through my old insurance thought I should take it. After taking it now, I really regret waiting this long to take it. It has changed my life for the better and has allowed me to have something positive to look forward to.

The MAJOR side-effects for males can be monitored through monthly blood samples. I have experienced some minor side-effects such as problems with transitions in lighting and chapped lips. But those negatives are of no comparison to the positive aspects of 'tane. My face, for the first time in years, has been clearing up. If you have been fighting SERIOUS acne for years, I really don't see a better solution than 'tane. It's really not as bad as some people perceive it to be. It was not nearly as bad as I perceived it to be. I hope this answers all of your questions. If you have any further personal questions, feel free to PM me or msg me on AIM. I am more than happy to answer any questions you have! :D

ooh sehn- the family friend angle. Those are the best, I got one at the DMV lol. Thanks for the advice too walien. I'll keep you in mind if I got a question.

ooh sehn- the family friend angle. Those are the best, I got one at the DMV lol. Thanks for the advice too walien. I'll keep you in mind if I got a question.

Sounds great! I hope everything pans out for you.:)