Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MultiMia

I give up....mineral makeup just isnt for me. Any other 'natural' alternatives?

I just got my samples from Pure Luxe a few days ago and Im so depressed. I just dont think mineral makeup is for me. I think this is the fourth brand that Ive used and they all have the same effect. Its hard to explain but its like it just sits on top of my face and sinks into my pores at the same time, weird. I must say though that Pure Luxe was the best b/c it went on creamy and didnt settle into my fine lines at all.

Oh yea,then I check out my face in the bathroom at school at around 6pm and I look HORRIBLE :shock: . It doesnt take much for me to sweat and normally my makeup holds up to this but not with the mineral makeup. And its not like I can just apply more on top, that looks worse.

So now Im wondering if anyone knows of a liquid makeup that is similar to mineral makeup. I saw a post about Jane I. liquid and I think Im gonna check that out and see what its all about. Anyone know of any others?

Guest funky_monkey

that's odd. What do you wash your face with? I use a SA wash (neutrogena oil free) which exfoliates for a smooth base and then I moisturise. :D

Do you think you may be putting on too much? A tiny little bit goes a really long way. I just sprinkle like little specks at a time in the lid and then swirl it into the brush really well, and then buff buff buff onto my face. I do that a few times until I see that I have adequate coverage. It really takes such a tiny amount. Maybe you could find a makeup artist that specializes in mineral makeup to consult.

Guest PokaHotAz

yea...u must not be doing it right... with mineral make-up...the best applications take practice... play with it...check it out...try different techniques... u get good at it...once u get used to it... but whatever

or maybe the shade isnt ur shade... maybe ur skin isnt moisturized ...

anyway sorry to hear that u dont like it

I just recently started using MMU because I am on Accutane and I gotta tell you I agree with you all. A little does go a long way and the coverage is great. Multimia, as PokaHOTAz suggested...maybe you are using too much or the shade is too dark. Keep trying cause it seems that less is more with this product. Hope it works out for you.

A-

Guest PokaHotAz

indeed...trust me... once u get good w/ the make-up u'll love it... i havent found a make-up that covers as well as BE (mineral makeup) ... i have some MAC products and though the coverage is nice...it doesnt provide the same as w/ my mineral makeup... it gives me a natural , glow that makes u look healthy and vivacious... :)

Guest Gentle~Rain

I just got my samples from Pure Luxe a few days ago and Im so depressed. I just dont think mineral makeup is for me. I think this is the fourth brand that Ive used and they all have the same effect. Its hard to explain but its like it just sits on top of my face and sinks into my pores at the same time, weird. I must say though that Pure Luxe was the best b/c it went on creamy and didnt settle into my fine lines at all.

Oh yea,then I check out my face in the bathroom at school at around 6pm and I look HORRIBLE :shock: . It doesnt take much for me to sweat and normally my makeup holds up to this but not with the mineral makeup. And its not like I can just apply more on top, that looks worse.

So now Im wondering if anyone knows of a liquid makeup that is similar to mineral makeup. I saw a post about Jane I. liquid and I think Im gonna check that out and see what its all about. Anyone know of any others?

How and what are you applying it with? PureLuxe has a Whipped Creme Foundation, maybe that formulation would work out better for you??? Samples are cheap enough, if you like her colors maybe try a sample.

I used to wonder why so many rave about mineral makeup. I have some Jane Ireland which was a bit too dark , not just that but it seems shiney as well. I recently tried another brand. Just the inexpensive physicians formula in medium translucent. I now realize the main thing is the application. You have to make sure your moisturizer is totally absorbed. You dip your larger brush and apply in circular motions almost pushing it into the skin. Repeat untill desired effect is reached. Follow by blush and eyemakeup, etc. There is an instruction video on one website, can't remember, but this is how I got the technique. I got a great application and loved the look, however, I am still not brave enough to give up my liquid foundation just yet. I recently tried the new colorstay flex in natural beige. While the shade may be a bit too dark for me, I LOVE, LOVE this makeup and have had no breakouts at all. It seems to look more natural than the other colorstay formulas and also provides good coverage as well as has major staying power. I had been using clinique clarifying and superfit on a daily basis. This is BETTER imo.

The makeups which I have tried recently and don't really care for;

Clinque true stay (made my skin look too pasty and dry (38.00 (2 bottles) later) only buy 1 at a time in the future, had to get the free gift. : )

Loreal infinite YUK (bad, just really greasy feeling and very little coverage)

Maybelline pure (normally wouldn't use any maybelline foundation and for me this had very little staying power) Some love this stuff, for me, it only looked good for a few hours.

jane ireland mineral (could have been the shade)

Wow, thanks for all the replies everybody.

Ok, I have to admit that I was very frustrated b/c it seems like no makeup I use works, theres always something that is off about it.I really like the Cover Girl makeup Im currently using but the color is off and Ive tried so many different shades, so I just feel like its always gonna be something and I'll never find the right makeup for myself.

Anyway, Im gonna take everyones advice and play with it some more. I make sure that I apply makeup only to cleansed, moisturized skin. Im in the process of finding my 'perfect' cleanser so for now Im using The Body Shop Tea Tree Exfoliating scrub as my cleanser.

I dont think its the shade of makeup b/c I was amazed at how natural the color looks AND it covers so well. Thats why I was so frustrated, lol, everything else about this makeup is perfection.

I dont know exactly what kinda brush it is that Im using but I believe its a good one and its specifically for applying mineral makeup(thats what the salesperson told me anyway), I bought it at Sephora. I do think that you guys are right and I may be applying too much. I'll try using less and slowly building.

I hope it works.... :pray:

Thank you so much guys.

I have the same feelings about mineral m/u! it's hard to master, i think. I only use it on the sides of my face, sometimes my chin, and i use liquid foundation elsewhere. "prescriptives" m/u brand has a greaaatttttt shade selection. i highly recommend them. i don't know if you have this problem with shades, every other foundation i used turned my skin orange within an hour. they have a "blue/red" undertone shade which works great on my skin. i think they're fairly friendly to the skin also.

A kabuki brush is great to apply the mineral makeup. I was using a different brush & was ready to give up on mineral makeup, then bought a Kabuki (at Sephora) and it's a world of difference.

Ive been trying and trying and it still has that same effect on my skin. It almost looks like tiny, tiny little dots of makeup all over my face, again its hard to explain. Im thinking maybe the brush is my problem. I dont remember the name the woman at the store used but I dont think it was 'kabuki'. Im gonna go buy another one and just use this one for blush b/c it applies that just fine. Im off to Sephora again tomorrow, they probably know my name by now. LoL

Guest TylerD

Ok I know how you feel. My pores suck shit too. They are huge and it pisses me off because unlike acne there isnt a damn thing I can do about it. So anyway what I use and it doesnt make them completely invisible but some days they look amazing. I use a moisturizer at night and in the morning I use Lise Watier primer which is really good for pores it makes them look way smaller withmakeup over top. I then let it sit for 1 minute then I apply CoverFx Creme. I cannot use a powder at all. Any powder makes my face look horrible. A creme is the only thing I can use. And yes i agree later in the day you will notice your face looking worse and worse. Mine will always look really good like perfect in the morning but by like 5 it looks shitty again.

Guest PokaHotAz

the kabuki brush is great ... get it ...u'll definitely see a difference

I have the same problem. I ordered it and was so excited to get it because according to the commercials and everything it even covers up large birthmarks. I cant get it to cover a damn thing. Waste of money for me. I tried several different times and it looks like crap!

Guest funky_monkey

I have the same problem. I ordered it and was so excited to get it because according to the commercials and everything it even covers up large birthmarks. I cant get it to cover a damn thing. Waste of money for me. I tried several different times and it looks like crap!

I found that with brushes.

I pat mine on with a thin flat sponge - works great!

Well....its gotta be that this makeup and my pores just dont mix.lol It looks good on my forehead and on the sides of my face but on my nose and cheeks it looks terrible. I have found that its great as a concealor. If I put on my regular foundation and then use a little brush to apply to my scars they are barely noticeable. The blush and the eyeshadows are great, just wish the foundation worked just as well for me.

I would try a primer but for that I may as well just stick with my regular makeup. The reason I wanted to try the mm was b/c it was an alternative to all the chemicals in makeup. I will try using a sponge instead of the brushes. And someone suggested awhile ago that I try the liquid foundation from Pure Luxe. I cant believe I overlooked that when I was on their website. Im gonna see if I can get a sample of that also.

Here I go again.....who thought makeup was gonna be this complicated. :wacko:

Im sorry you seem to have no luck with minerals. I use www.jlynnecosmetics.com she has a board where you can chat with many ladies who are experts on her make up and applications. It took me a bit of waiting to be able to afford the brushes but I can tell you they are not BSing you about the differrence they make. I like the flat sponge too. You really have to play with minerals. It took me a few weeks to master it nut I am so glad I did. I will never wear anything else!!!

Regarding the pure luxe brand, I just recently ordered some samples and dont have them yet so I cannot comment on how well it works yet but I did notice on their website they specifically state that you do not apply theirs the same as BE and do not recomment a kabuki brush. Rather she states something like using a big fluffy brush and just sweeping it across your face but not buffing. If you go to their website there is also a link to a forum of people who use this brand and all other mineral makeups that can give you advice on application, colors, etc. Good luck. I cant wait to get mine and give it a shot because the BE didnt work for me either because of the shine.

Just a thought..... If your not satisfied with what you just purchased, have you considered using Physicians Formula's Mineral Makeup ? I love the stuff. Bonus is I purchased it at Shoppers Drugmart. Their estheticians are always more than willing to give demos & instruction on makeup application.

Try Sheer Cover (it has minerals and it has a concealer). The coverage is incredible! I've used bareminerals, and Sheer Cover is 200% better.

Not to mention, what I and three of my girlfriends have noticed was that bareminerals made us all breakout (not bad but bad enough, who wants zits even small ones). The coverage with the bareminerals was really bad I still needed a concealer with it.

Keep in mind that the Sheer Cover runs lite. I normally were a medium and had to go to the tan collection.

If your trying to cover up zits (even cysts) then apply the concealer first, then apply the "finishing power" over that (to set the concealer) then apply the "mineral foundation". Next put on your normal blush, and last apply the "finishing powder" all over, to set everything.

They sell the medium kits at www.ulta.com (if you can find a store in your city then you can go in and pick one up). Or you can go to www.sheercover.com and buy your kit there.

Good luck

AB

left210- Thats just like me to not read directions. I do it all the time. LoL You know what though when I first tried using the mineral makeup I wasnt using a kabuki brush(eventually I went out and bought one though). Also I was just applying it like any old powder. I mean really, Ive tried applying this stuff with two different brushes, different techniques and even a flat sponge yet nothing looks right. I just dont think its for me. Just like every great acne product, cleanser and so on isnt for everyone.

vitalmom- I'll check out the Physicians Formula. I think I only have a couple days before I run out of my Cover Girl makeup so Im really hoping I find something that works so I dont have to buy more of the Cover Girl.

amberb- I'll check out the Sheer Cover too. Basically if I can get samples then Im gonna try it. I can believe that a particular brand of mm isnt right for me but not all mm in general. I refuse to believe that....yet. :D

I wanted to share my updated experience with the Pure Luxe mineral makeup. Today I stayed in the house and studied all day but at around 7 I got hungry so I decided to go to the food store. I really, really didnt want to put makeup on b/c I dont like how it feels on my skin. So I decided that I would just put a little bit of the mineral makeup on, even if it looked bad it would still atleast cover the marks and acne. Well I couldnt believe it but it looks amazing. No huge pores, no more funky texture, none of that. My skin looks amazing! It looks like I just have nice skin, not like I have makeup on. Im not sure what did it but Im thinking it might be the Green Cream. The pores on my cheeks and nose are much smaller, you cant even see the pores on my cheeks like you could before. I cant even begin to tell you guys how happy I am about this. Im going to wear it for a few more days before I order a regular size, just to be sure. If everyday is like today then I have found my new makeup. :dance:

Thank you guys for all your advice. I probably would have just thrown out the samples from pure frustration. Where would I be now if I had done that? LoL