Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HeatherM

I Need Some Advice

I've been going to this dermatologist since the beginning of December. I am well aware that I shouldn't expect my skin to clear up overnight, but it's been 3 months. For the first two months I went every two weeks and was given some different peels. I know the first one was some type of lactic acid peel I think, but they have done several different ones. Well about the end of January my mother got tired of being patient and called them and told them to do something more, so since then i've been going once a week getting various peels and I've been on minocyline, some topical antibiodic, and retin-a. It has been a month now. Well, It's time to decide whether to pay for another "package" of these peels. I REALLY like the people at this place, but I hate to throw my parents money (who have agreed to pay for this) away. Also, since the very beginning they gave me this "Medicalia" kit, with a cleanser, toner, and lotion that I've been using. I can't tell if it's doing any good

So my question is, Are these peels worthwhile, Am I being too impatient? I just don't want to keep spending money and seeing no results, but I don't want to give up to early. My parents are afraid this place is just getting money out of me, but I really think they're doing what they should be. This week they told me that it looks like the underlying skin is healthier and it's just superficial acne. I am not sure I can tell a difference. Some days I can, some days I can't. Also, I have been under extreme amounts of stress the past few weeks which may be keeping everything from working. It's just so frustrating, for a year I had no problems with my skin, I thought I'd outgrown it and now for the past year, it's worse than ever.

Any advice? Thoughts on whether it's worth it to keep going or if I should find a new dermatologist?

Peels on Retin-A????

That doesn't sound like a very good idea.....I'd stick with the retin-a and mino (only if you must....I prefer topical antibiotics over oral ones), but the peels are totally unnecessary and could do more harm than good...

Give the retin-a a chance....about 12-16 weeks. If your still breaking out I'd try to get some tane...

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Hold on, is the Medicalia kit called "blemished skin line II"? If it is, read the ingredients, you'll see they are all acids like Salicylic, Glycolic etc. Quite harsh on thier own, but with Retin-A and peels, really not cool.

No, it's actually the oily skin type and I think it has different ingredients. Which to me has seemed fairly gentle. Also, I'm not using the retin-a but 3 times a week.

So it sounds like maybe I should have them cut back on some of these peels, maybe I'll cancel my next appointment.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

No, it's actually the oily skin type and I think it has different ingredients. Which to me has seemed fairly gentle. Also, I'm not using the retin-a but 3 times a week.

So it sounds like maybe I should have them cut back on some of these peels, maybe I'll cancel my next appointment.

Peels after you are completely acne free. Well near enough anyway.

I've never heard of a derm place doing peels. And I'd be wary of any place doing them so often; especially with Retin-A. Google the practice, google the doctor's name, see what comes up.

(Just a personal note, but any doctors place that I've been "comfortable" with is a bad one. I dunno, but if they go out of their way to make you feel good, well, either it is just a really good practice, or they are "selling" the practice to you - which doctors don't do, not good ones.)

I've never heard of a derm place doing peels. And I'd be wary of any place doing them so often; especially with Retin-A. Google the practice, google the doctor's name, see what comes up.

(Just a personal note, but any doctors place that I've been "comfortable" with is a bad one. I dunno, but if they go out of their way to make you feel good, well, either it is just a really good practice, or they are "selling" the practice to you - which doctors don't do, not good ones.)

When I complained to my derm that I was scarring, he agreed that I do indeed have some shallow scars. Then he suggested that I try some laser resurfacing or dermabrasion once I'm clear, but has yet to perscribe me Accutane, to prevent the pimples that are scarring.....It's almost like he wants me to scar so that I pay them to fix the scarring....maybe I'm just overreacting...

It is one of the most different doctor's i've been too. For one, it's 'in the most gorgeous building, but beyond that I rarely see the derm. He seems very knowledgable. I usually see the girl who does my peels. She just says they try the peels first usually to see if they can help without prescriptions, which i was all far til it seemed to be not helping much. I mean, I know that they have done a good job with other people. I have some family that recommended them (an aunt who went a good many years back and a cousin who had some scarring from some poisin ivy actually that the derm treated) who they were totally happy with the place. So I feel like the doctor is a "good one" I guess, and the lady I always see is really sweet. It's just I'm not sure if their approach is the right way..atleast for me, but it has obviously worked on some people and she says it just takes a while.

I'm very indecisive and very trusting of people, I really want this to work out with this place because they're nice and i'm comfortable there, but i know that might just be me....if that makes any sense at all. I know i was rambling