Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scars4me

keloids and ear Piercing

I have keloids. I had my ears pierced when I was 16 and the back of my ear grew up around my ear ring. And I was told I had keloids. I also have them on my back and chest. But Now I am 23 and I know how to take care of my ears now. Should I try to get them pierced again. I mean if something happens and thet start to mess up I can take them out ahead of time. What should I do. It's worth a try.

i also get keloids on my ears. i'd say try it, and take care of the piercings meticulously. at the first sign of anything going wrong, dont just take out the earring [this will trap the infection inside your ear], but go to the derm and get it lanced and possibly injected with cortisone. this is the only way it'll heal smoothly without having to wait a year for the keloid swelling to go down.

I have a keloid on my one earring. The ear/nose/throat doc said it was cause I pierced it myself which was bullshit. I pierced everything but my first holes and they were always bloody and swollen and sore for like almost a year. I havent gotten a keloid on any other piercing-- ever and like I said i did them all myself. I think it happened because I had this crappy silver hoop in it and it put pressure on it while healing.

You can also try different jewlery where its not going to put pressure on it.

My keloid has shrunk a lot on its own and i just dont even bother it. I hear tea tree oil or emu oil is good for it. I would definately try emu oil if you do get it pierced and you feel a bump coming on. Another good thing is to do a sea salt soak (buy sea salt in the spices aisle) and put some in warm water (just enough so you can taste a lil of it) and 2 times a day put it on the earring to help heal- it will help draw out all the bad stuff and help keep it clean. I just mix sea salt, water and apply with cotton ball or soak your ear in a shot glass or something. if its too salty, it will dry your ear out.

I had one keloid on my chest and it just disappeared after a while. I was using stuff from- www.thejamushop.com (black scar paste and whatever they recommend you can use with it). I have one on each shoulder and they are a bitch and i hate them because one itches bad... and is kind of red.

I agree with sehnsucht-- dont take the earring out if you have an infection- it needs to drain because if you take it out it can trap whatever it is inside.

yea i agree, they go away eventually if you just leave them, i think. but the longer it's infected the worse the keloid gets. i had them on my belly button and a cartilage piercing, i was just so fucking sick of infected piercings that my stratagy was to just leave them, i was like ok i can deal with the pain and the infection will die down eventually. anyway eventually if you just stop touching it it will go away, but i was left with keloids. again, left them, didnt touch, and they went away. now they're totally smooth. but it takes a while.

oh and i think mine were/are caused by me touching the piercing too much, like i have this habit of pulling on certain earrings constantly, esp when it's a bit sore.. something about the feeling, it's like biting your nails or snapping a rubber band on your wrist. i dunno wierd but i just cant stop. so keep your fingers off unless you're cleaning it!!

Scars4Me.....hmmm, I don't know if you should get your ears pierced. I keloid, however I did not get one from having my ears pierced. I got a long keloid after surgery.....where the Dr. cut, stitched and stapled me back up :sick: After I had surgery, I kept a tight bandage around the area and this helped the scar to flattened....then the derm. injected it a few times. I did not know about keloids before the surgery....if I did, the Dr. said he could have done something (forgot what he said :think: ). Keloids are ugly :alien: and I would not want to risk getting one again..unless i need major surgery--->health wins out over appearence. But if you do get your ears pierced, you may want to research methods on trying to prevent the keloid from sprouting up.....

Good Luck :gimme:

NO! dont pierce it. if you pierce it and it gets infected, taking out the earring wont do you any good because you already caused a wound. meaning you have a chance of it forming again.