Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flipside

Mangosteen Extract Inhibits P. acnes

Antimicrobial effects of Thai medicinal plants against acne-inducing bacteria

Mullika Traidej Chomnawanga, , , Suvimol Surassmoa, Veena S. Nukoolkarnb and Wandee Gritsanapanb

aDepartment of Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, 447 Sri Ayudthaya Road, Rachathevi, Bangkok 10400, Thailand

bDepartment of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, 447 Sri Ayudthaya Road, Rachathevi, Bangkok 10400, Thailand

Received 16 December 2004; revised 24 March 2005; accepted 13 April 2005. Available online 11 July 2005.

Abstract

Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis have been recognized as pus-forming bacteria triggering an inflammation in acne. The present study was conducted to evaluate antimicrobial activities of Thai medicinal plants against these etiologic agents of acne vulgaris. Crude extracts were tested for antimicrobial activities by disc diffusion and broth dilution methods. The results from the disc diffusion method showed that 13 medicinal plants could inhibit the growth of Propionibacterium acnes. Among those, Senna alata, Eupatorium odoratum, Garcinia mangostana, and Barleria lupulina had strong inhibitory effects. Based on a broth dilution method, the Garcinia mangostana extract had the greatest antimicrobial effect. The MIC values were the same (0.039 mg/ml) for both bacterial species and the MBC values were 0.039 and 0.156 mg/ml against Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis, respectively. In bioautography assay, the Garcinia mangostana extract produced strong inhibition zones against Propionibacterium acnes. Antimicrobial activity from fractions of column chromatography revealed one of the active compounds in Garcinia mangostana could be mangostin, a xanthone derivative. Taken together, our data indicated that Garcinia mangostana had a strong inhibitory effect on Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis. Therefore, this plant would be an interesting topic for further study and possibly for an alternative treatment for acne.

Keywords: Acne vulgaris; Propionibacterium acnes; Staphylococcus epidermidis; Antimicrobial activity

I found this mangosteen extract standardized to 10% mangostin:

http://www.vitacost.com/NSIMangosteenExtractXanoMax

And..........?

/are you linking this to a thought, some suggestion, or personal experience?

yeah, i have some ideas... but i just wanted to post this info for anyone interested.

And..........?

/are you linking this to a thought, some suggestion, or personal experience?

yeah, i have some ideas... but i just wanted to post this info for anyone interested.

ive posted this before

i drink mangosteen juice. its got loads of good fruits in it, dunoo if its making any difference to my skin tho.

Apart from the mangosteen (claiming to hav the most opwerful anti-oxidants known to us or something like that) it has

Organic Black Cherry Juice Concentrate: Helps to relieve joint pain and discomfort.

Organic Cranberry Juice Concentrate: Helps to support urinary tract health.

Organic Raspberry Juice Concentrate: Helps to strengthen and vitalise the circulation of the blood.

Pomegranate Juice Concentrate: Helps to maintain a healthy heart It also assists against symptoms associated with menopause.

Elderberry Juice Concentrate: Helps to build a resistance against colds, flu, asthma, upper respiratory problems, and migraines.

Blueberry Juice Concentrate: Supports and maintains healthy kidney function