Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
postfetalphase

Tanning and the Dermatologist

I haven't gotten a sunburn/tan in a year or two, although I live in Florida. My skin actually doesn't burn as easily as people expect it to (I am very pale), but it never just straight tans, and the sunburns almost always peel (revealing a tan), although once I had one that just faded to a tan. I know routine sun exposure is bad, but I have lots of scars (red marks? but they're brown now) from acne all over my body that look like freckles, which I would like to blend in a little.

However, I have been frequenting a dermatologist lately, and I am scared to go to her with a sunburn because she'll probably yell at me. Plus I am getting a few IPL treatments coming up here and I doubt she could do that if my face was sunburnt (although I would try to avoid that... my face is red enough as it is).

What about after the IPL treatments? I am assuming I should probably avoid sun exposure after them. But for forever?

Also I am using retin-a on my body, which I know makes me more sensitive to sunburns. So does that mean that it would just speed the process up? Should I just stay out half as long? I know people say to avoid sunlight all together but if I am wanting a sunburn, wouldn't retin-a aid in getting it so it wouldn't take as long? Like... if retin-a just makes you burn worse, more quickly, could I just stay out a little bit to get the desired burn,.... would that be any worse than staying out longer to get that same amount of sunburn if I was off of retin a?