Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
punchito

Protein Shakes that are Acne-Friendly?

I've been doing weights for a few months, but to speed things up I've been told to drink 3 protein shakes every day since I have a VERY fast metabolism and only getting moderate results (5kg in the first 2 months). I've been bulking up much more successfully but probably not coincedentally I've been getting a lot more breakouts. My theory is it's because of all the milk I've been ingesting as a result (at least 1 litre per day). It could be because of the hormones involved in doing extra weights, but I'm sticking with the milk theory for the moment.

Question is, does anyone have any tips on reducing the zit-causing crap that I have to consume in order to bulk up? I know I could go with organic milk (they probably sell it at GNC with the rest of my weight-gain stuff) but I don't really see that as an alternative since I'm drinking a litre per day and I don't want to go broke. I've also tried mixing the shakes with water but MY GOD that was disgusting. Reducing the protein shake consumption isn't an option either...

Thanks in advance

Guest Stu :-)

I was on metrex mix drinks for quite a while mate, and had no probs with acne on those!! gud shit for packing on the muscle as well

Interesting... do you mix those with water e.g. Gatorade mix etc? Another thing, it also needs to have carbohydrates otherwise I simply won't be getting the mass I need to develop muscle, the product I'm on right now is PVL Lean Gain XL w/ 43% carbohydrates 43% protein which is perfect for me, except for the milk bit.

Hi, I can defintaely relate to you on this topic. I've been bodybuilding for the past 4 years and at the same time battling acne. I've finally pinpointed what breaks me out. It was a combination of pure sugar (which by the way wasn't coke or candy) from my post workout creatine shake. That shake gave me such a surge of insulin, it made my skin oily- but, in a sense, this is what you want after a workout to replenish glycogen in your body. That coupled with tons of milk and cheese gave me the worst breakouts of my life.

For the past 4 months I've been experimenting how I could get by without these muscle aiding nutrients. To solve the post workout problem, I now make a shake with an apple and a banana with some kale leaves (as someone recommended on this site) along with some RICE milk. This gives me the simple sugars I need (though to a lower extent) as well as precious fiber, vitamins, and phytonutrients.

The hardest part to change in my nutrition was eliminating dairy products. As you said in your post, cutting out whey protein isn't an option. So what I do now is still intake normal amounts of my whey protein but combined with rice milk. Yeah, it doesnt have the same amount of protein as cow's milk, but it doesn't contribute to breakouts and it does have similar amounts of vitamins/minerals.

Doing these two things has been one of the best decision I've ever made. My skn is so clear now compared to six months ago. I almost never get a spot anymore whereas before I would get 4-5 new spots/ week- covering me in red marks. If you think about it, cow based products just wern't meant for humans to eat- especially how they are rased in todays society. I know it sounds hypocritical for me to say that because whey protein is dairy based, but from my experience it doesn't react the same way with my body and is degested much easier-not to mention there is almost no fat in it. Good luck

Bri

I've been doing weights for a few months, but to speed things up I've been told to drink 3 protein shakes every day since I have a VERY fast metabolism and only getting moderate results (5kg in the first 2 months). I've been bulking up much more successfully but probably not coincedentally I've been getting a lot more breakouts. My theory is it's because of all the milk I've been ingesting as a result (at least 1 litre per day). It could be because of the hormones involved in doing extra weights, but I'm sticking with the milk theory for the moment.

Question is, does anyone have any tips on reducing the zit-causing crap that I have to consume in order to bulk up? I know I could go with organic milk (they probably sell it at GNC with the rest of my weight-gain stuff) but I don't really see that as an alternative since I'm drinking a litre per day and I don't want to go broke. I've also tried mixing the shakes with water but MY GOD that was disgusting. Reducing the protein shake consumption isn't an option either...

Thanks in advance

Optimum.

Most mixes have HIGH sugar.

Optimum nutritions shake mix's dont and there awesome.

Optimum.

Most mixes have HIGH sugar.

Optimum nutritions shake mix's dont and there awesome.

It's whey protein isotrate right? I'm trying to bulk up too, and need to start taking protein shakes. How long have you been taking it, and have you seen results with it? Oh, and do you have to add milk or can you just mix it with water instead?

Get as close to pure isolate as you can. Also don't buy brandname and get ripped off with stuf that isn't as good quality. Get it right from the source at:

trueprotein.com

trueproteincanada.com or .ca, I forget.

I've got the same problem...but it's not with the protein; at least not for me.

Lifting weights and especially lifting weights and eating big (like when you are trying to bulk) increases your testosterone levels. That's great for weight lifting....but bad for acne.

do you honestly believe theres much difference between protein shakes..ive never seen a protein shake loaded with sugar other than some weight gainers.. actually look at the ingredients in some of the higher priced ones compared to the lower priced ones.. there very similar.. your just paying for the brand name.. i have used dirt cheap ones and had no problems with them.. i order from trueproteincanada.com now and there protein is good at a very fair price.

I've cut out all dairy from my diet (only for 2 days now) and am taking my shakes with water... Yes it is kind of disgusting.

I find it good to boil the water then add the powder - tastes more like hot chocolate.

The name of my protein shake is Muscle Juice.

I don't think any brand of protein shake will effect acne unless there are hormone filled dairy products within the contents.

Muscle Juice was found at GNC or whatever is it :)

Hi every one if you want to take protein and you want to see good results with it you will need to take 1-2g per lbs of body weight :D

I've cut out all dairy from my diet (only for 2 days now) and am taking my shakes with water... Yes it is kind of disgusting.

I find it good to boil the water then add the powder - tastes more like hot chocolate.

Hey that's a pretty nifty idea, and I don't have to worry about forking out heaps of dosh either, I just hope it doesn't taste like crap, will try tomorrow morning....

mmm hot vanilla

or try some protein bars instead of shakes. some protein bars have as much protein as a shake(30 g)

or try some protein bars instead of shakes. some protein bars have as much protein as a shake(30 g)

Yeah, but protein bars are pretty expensive. Also, most of them are made with chocolate, which happens to be one of the things that breaks me out.