Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Akira

Does anyone else think its all getting a bit excessive?

Guest Akira

Ok, this is my 2 cents.

We have acne, we're not entirely sure why, and we're desperately looking for a solution to try and ease the pain, in this quest; we're constantly blaming our acne on the most fucking ludicrous things.

Computers

Phones

Food

Drink

Sex

Masturbating

The Sun

Kissing

The list goes on and on, taking all of the above into account, the only way to seemingly avoid getting acne is to lock ourselves in a germ free booth for the rest of our lives, completely disengaging in social activity. I bet if anyone actually did do this, they would then post a topic on here saying "Sitting in a germ free booth caused me to break out!"

Its all getting so needlessly inept and spreading so much parnoia around the board people are becoming scared to do anything as they think they will damage their skin.

My advice to anyone who reads this is dont beleive the hype, use your common sense. Don't starve yourself, don't hide away, do things you love doing, and dont be scared if you think it will break you out, chances are you won't.

I realise this topic will inevitably become void as it will get ignored amongst all the pointless threads, many of which will be of the unproved correlation between sex and acne, drinking your own urine, and why you should eat organic foods.

Just wanted to get all that off my chest

Yeah, some people here really don't use common sense. It's pretty friggin' annoying reading all those posts about masturbating, thinking naughty thoughts, eating pizza, and reading the latest gossip on paris hilton's slutiness as the causes of acne.

Don't let acne affect your intelligence.

But, paris hilton does suck.

Speaking as someone who's turned into a paranoid wreck because of this - listen to this person's advice. It's probably one of the best things you can do for yourself and your state of mind.

I think all this "____breaks me out" comes from the comforting idea that we can control acne. If we always have something to blame for a breakout, we can do things to change it, like restrict or eliminate the "cause". That gives people a sense of control, and acne makes a lot of people feel out of control.

But in turn, thinking like this, trying to "take control" causes many people to give their lives away to their acne because there's so many things they "can't" do because it could "cause a breakout".

What's the point in living that way, unable to enjoy life's pleasures because you're afraid of acne? Honestly, I've felt like all I've been doing is punishing myself, and it's silly. I still have acne. I still get breakouts. I'd rather learn to accept it, and live, than continue on the way I am.

Speaking as someone who's turned into a paranoid wreck because of this - listen to this person's advice. It's probably one of the best things you can do for yourself and your state of mind.

I think all this "____breaks me out" comes from the comforting idea that we can control acne. If we always have something to blame for a breakout, we can do things to change it, like restrict or eliminate the "cause". That gives people a sense of control, and acne makes a lot of people feel out of control.

But in turn, thinking like this, trying to "take control" causes many people to give their lives away to their acne because there's so many things they "can't" do because it could "cause a breakout".

What's the point in living that way, unable to enjoy life's pleasures because you're afraid of acne? Honestly, I've felt like all I've been doing is punishing myself, and it's silly. I still have acne. I still get breakouts. I'd rather learn to accept it, and live, than continue on the way I am.

Very well said...that paranoia gives us a sense of control over something we have no control over....

^ Except some people actually DO control their acne through diet (and cleansing). It may not be a 100% cure, but if some people find that they can lessen the extent of their acne through natural means, who is anyone else to say that that is too obsessive, or call it a mental disorder?

It seems that all the natural ways of possibly controlling acne constantly get blasted. What about the drugs? Don't you all think it's a bit excessive to be on antibiotics on and off for years and years, or go through 3 or 4 courses of Accutane, just to control acne? These things do have side-effects...

On the other hand, I DO think it's stupid to think that some of those things on that list cause acne... well, pretty much all of them except diet.

I definitely agree that there are plenty of stupid posts here, but that's the nature of the internet. This is still an invaluable resource. I've learned a lot here. And I actually CAN control my acne to a GREAT extent by sticking to the right diet. I was a health nut before, but I still got acne. It wasn't until I found this site that I started to be able to figure out how to considerably lessen my acne through means of diet and cleansing.

I'm sorry there are people here who can't filter out the nonsense, but quite frankly, it's not really my problem.

I try to let people know what has helped me, and it's up to them what they do with it.

It seems that all the natural ways of possibly controlling acne constantly get blasted. What about the drugs? Don't you all think it's a bit excessive to be on antibiotics on and off for years and years, or go through 3 or 4 courses of Accutane, just to control acne? These things do have side-effects...

I'm off topicals and creams. I have been now for a few months. But I respect others' decisions to search for a topical or an antibiotic that will work for them and understand why they do. If it clears them, that's a great thing. And while I also I respect that you cleared your acne through diet....not everyone is in position to watch every little thing that they eat, not to mention there are those like me who just plain get tired of obsessing over food and thinking about it every second of every day of my life. It's interfered with my social life (can't eat with my family and friends), made me paranoid ("Can I eat this?" I want to eat this but what if... I better not eat" - the next day, the whole cycle begins again), and given me a guilt trip ("Why did I eat that, tomorrow I'll have to"....blah blah blah). I still have acne. All I got was something close to an eating disorder for my trouble.

People take accutane because it's one of the only "cures" that's out there. There are people who take accutane and never have to worry about acne again, just as there are people who take it and unfortunately, the acne comes back....but I can completely understand why someone would choose to take it, despite knowing the side effects. If my acne ever becomes worse than what it is, I would likely consider accutane. I know all the side effects. I know it may not work. It is a chance that I would consider taking. To quote my favorite tv show...."sometimes you gotta roll the hard six."

With the acne I have now, my best course of action would be to accept it and move on from it. That's my choice of action that I'm going to pursue.

There are a lot of crazy theories but, acne does suck. It's easier said than done to just not even worry about it and go on through life like nothings wrong, that would be stupid. People should try to enjoy life to the fullest but it's hard, you can't blame anyone for trying to find a reason or cure for breakouts. There IS a reason for them. And I'm all for finding the reason for mine and stopping it there. Taking a crapload of antibiotics and topicals is not where it's at to me.

So who cares about all the theories, it's not costing anyone anything, this is the internet, so pay it no mind. Don't respond to the threads if you think they're rediculous.

I bet if anyone actually did do this, they would then post a topic on here saying "Sitting in a germ free booth caused me to break out!"

True true true. Ahaha. :lol:

There are a lot of crazy theories but, acne does suck. It's easier said than done to just not even worry about it and go on through life like nothings wrong, that would be stupid. People should try to enjoy life to the fullest but it's hard, you can't blame anyone for trying to find a reason or cure for breakouts. There IS a reason for them. And I'm all for finding the reason for mine and stopping it there. Taking a crapload of antibiotics and topicals is not where it's at to me.

So who cares about all the theories, it's not costing anyone anything, this is the internet, so pay it no mind. Don't respond to the threads if you think they're rediculous.

You're right it IS easier said than done. I'm well aware of that. It's going to be a struggle for me. But I've exhausted myself trying to find a reason for my breakouts and I've come up with nothing. I've reached the point where I have to stop and check myself - is this worth sacrificing my life for? Is this worth the amount of importance that I give it? The time that I allow it to take up every day? I know that I'm doing myself more harm with all the obsessing and worrying, than by striving to find a way to let go and make my life about me again - and not my skin.

If you found the reason behind your breakouts, congratulations. Seriously. I guess what it comes down to for me is that I'm not willing to give anymore of my time to the search to find the reason behind mine. I've given it more than enough. It's not worth the heartache or the misery for me. It's actually becoming worse for me than just living with acne, as I did a few years ago.

I'm off topicals and creams. I have been now for a few months. But I respect others' decisions to search for a topical or an antibiotic that will work for them and understand why they do. If it clears them, that's a great thing. And while I also I respect that you cleared your acne through diet....not everyone is in position to watch every little thing that they eat, not to mention there are those like me who just plain get tired of obsessing over food and thinking about it every second of every day of my life. It's interfered with my social life (can't eat with my family and friends), made me paranoid ("Can I eat this?" I want to eat this but what if... I better not eat" - the next day, the whole cycle begins again), and given me a guilt trip ("Why did I eat that, tomorrow I'll have to"....blah blah blah). I still have acne. All I got was something close to an eating disorder for my trouble.

Yes, and that's fine. I didn't say you or anyone else should follow a certain diet. I only said that people should stop telling other people that they're obsessive or have a mental disorder for doing so... especially if the diet actually works.

People take accutane because it's one of the only "cures" that's out there. There are people who take accutane and never have to worry about acne again, just as there are people who take it and unfortunately, the acne comes back....but I can completely understand why someone would choose to take it, despite knowing the side effects. If my acne ever becomes worse than what it is, I would likely consider accutane. I know all the side effects. I know it may not work. It is a chance that I would consider taking. To quote my favorite tv show...."sometimes you gotta roll the hard six."

I understand why people take Accutane. I considered it at one time myself. I'm just saying that no one ever questions when someone is on all these drugs for acne, but if someone is being "obsessive" about a diet to control acne, they get called crazy. (This is just a generalization of a lot of posts I've seen on this website.)

..whatever..

Keep doing as much research as possible.

Keep asking questions.

Eventually a real answer will be found.

I can agree to that to a certain extent (the original message). I do think that some things are ridiculous to blame for acne (some you listed I've never even heard). Food is commonly blamed for acne, and I can agree with that. Not like chocolate is going cause a breakout on everyone's face when they eat it... but I think it can for some people. Everyone's body reacts to different foods differently. Just like when people ingest something that's supposed to be good for acne. People's bodies will react to that different too. I like the research and how far we've come with treating acne. Sure, it's one of the most normal things ever. But that doesn't make me want to like it anymore. But masturbation and kissing and sex are far out there examples of things that cause you to break out.

I'm having fun, maybe that's why I breakout. I think I'm going to stop having fun now.

You are right. People here are getting excessive no doubt. This was one fo the first things i realized when i joined this site.

People either pull things out of their ass and say thats their problem, or post a single article on how dairy causes acne.

People here want reasons for acne. They arent happy with the current answers.

Than some poor sap reads allt his garbage and stops doing things they lvoe to do becasue it MAY stop their acne form coming back.

It disgusts me...