Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
happyfourth

Hormonal acne

I'm sure this is nothing new but a few years ago I read Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom by Dr. Christiane Northrup, and while I did not agree with everything she did go into some detail about how the symptoms of PMS and related hormone imbalances are somewhat preventable, and about how stress in particular "manifests" itself so to speak into these hormonal imbalances. I noticed over the past few years that this is true for myself at least, and the lower my stress levels are the less PMS I have, and the less hormonal acne I have. I get the sense that many females on this board feel helpless about hormonal acne, and just accept it as a given???

http://www.webmd.com/hw/womens_conditions/hw139600.asp

I have strong PMS symptoms, always have. My mood's the worst, and usually that's about a week before I actually have my period. Breakouts occur during that time too. The day before/the day I start, I usually have stomach aches and general stomach cramps. The cramps aren't as bad as they used to be though. I only feel bad for the first day or two, then I'm fine.

I'm pretty much the same every month, like clock work. Sometimes, my symptoms will be a bit less, other times, they'll be more severe. I've never noticed any corelations with what I do, eat, etc....

Birth Control....Thank God for it on so many levels. It cleared up my hormonal acne, made my PMS less severe, and now I don't cramp or get sick when I start.

How is acne caused in one’s body is a question that has been tyrannizing us for the last century. It was found that the hormones are one of the main causes for acne.

Earnest Starling and William Bayliss were the men who first identified that there is a secretion of some glands in the human body that in turn causes functioning of other glands. They were first able to identify secretin the hormone secreted by the duodenum. Hormones may be externally induced or internally produced by the body. Hormones externally induced may be in the form of any medicines consumed for some malfunction or it may be a beauty aid. Commonly prescribed hormones for treatment of a bodily disorder is estrogens progestagens, thyroxin, steroid and insulin. These externally induced hormones also act in a similar way to the hormones produced by the body. Any of these hormones may cause acne.

You can read on here:

http://www.acnefacts.net/hormones.html

I hope this helps,

McGyver

I am wondering if thats why my cheeks are broken out..that its hormonal..because I do have a very very..irregular, whack period(or lack of..)

i've been off the pill for a little over a month now. was on it for years.

i didn't like the idea of takin the pill but felt i had to or i would break out.

but i now take "evening primrose oil" in capsules from Boots. its supposed to help balance your hormones. a girlfriend told me about it, she swore by it.

i haven't had any breakouts yet. but maybe i wouldn't have broken out in any case, i don't know. i've been clear for ages so maybe stopping the pill wouldn't have had an affect on me.then again maybe it is the primrose which is helping.

its worth giving this stuff a go anyhow.

i've been off the pill for a little over a month now. was on it for years.

i didn't like the idea of takin the pill but felt i had to or i would break out.

but i now take "evening primrose oil" in capsules from Boots. its supposed to help balance your hormones. a girlfriend told me about it, she swore by it.

i haven't had any breakouts yet. but maybe i wouldn't have broken out in any case, i don't know. i've been clear for ages so maybe stopping the pill wouldn't have had an affect on me.then again maybe it is the primrose which is helping.

its worth giving this stuff a go anyhow.

I WAS DEAD WRONG! Soon after replying to this thread i startde getting a few white heads on my nose, then on my chin, then on my forehead (where i have never had any spots before). Now my whole T-zone is pinky,blotchy,and has these horrible white heads and tiny bumps. Many people on this site would say its nothin looking a my skin, but after being clear for 4 years, it comes to me as a shock.

Anyway, i'm going back on the pill. definately worked for me even though i hadnt realised at the time.