Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amz

Have i got acne or not? Need help

I have had acne from when i was 13 years old, now i am 21 years old, i have used many creams and tablets from my doctor but nothing helped. I use Quinoderm cream 5 for a very long time, at least 5 years i dont use it anymore, i took Oxytetracycline tablets for 5 years. The last treatment i used was Retin-A, that made my skin so dry and flaky, i used it for a 3 months and gave up. Then after that i was using nothing on my face just cleaning it with Valderma antibacterial soap and exfoliating with a sponge called Buf-Puf. Now i have been doing this for about 3 years, i don't even use any moisturiser after i wash my face now and i dont even dry it, i just wash it and leave it to dry naturally. Now over the last 3 months i have been moisturising and my skin always looks redder and oilier on the places i used to have acne, thats the forehead, cheeks and chin. My skin feels fresh and dry after i wash it, and as the day goes by, sometime in the evening my skin becomes oily and more redder. When i touch my skin where the acne was it feels softer and more oilier but if i touch the skin where i didnt have acne that just feels normal not even oily just normal and it doesn look red. i don't know what it is but i have had enough of doctors medicines that doesnt work, i just want to know what can i do to get rid of this nightmare. What have i got acne or something else?

Please please please help me

Sounds just like oily skin to me....you don't really have"acne" unless you have acne lesions like blackheads, whiteheads, papules, pustules, nodes or cysts (the last four you'd definately notice). It's possible to just have oily skin and not acne, although the two are closely related. I noticed that I had oily skin for about two years before I developed acne....

There aren't really that many topicals that have been proven to help this problem (although BP has been shown to reduce sebum production in studies). There are prducts containg something called A.C net, that have shown in "in house" studies to reduce sebum production, and the results were pretty good.... Accutane will for sure, (as would a toxic overdose of Vitamin A) but I doubt a derm would give it to you for a mild case of oily skin.

I'd invest in a stronger cleanser and some blotting sheets...

Do you still use the Buf-Puf? I'd quit with that. I'm sure scrubbing with that just leads to more irritation, hence more of a reaction from your skin.

Try being more gentle with your cleansing routine. I also second what LabGirl suggests. Blotting sheets are amazing things!

Maybe you should also cut back on the moisturizer, too. It sounds like you're not really needing to moisturize if you're so oily already.