Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
redbullman

Lactose intollerance

Ive been off dairy since mid july now, ive noticed my bones getting abit smaller, ive been drinking calium inriched soy milk ever since. and, been taking some calcium supplements .Just wondering if I am even lactose intollerant, My dad cant eat cheese without getting sick. And im ex accutane and dont have ance anymore but Im worried if i keep staying off dairy foods, my calcium intake could get dangerosly low. and im a extreme althlete so that wouldnt be a good thing. but then im scared to go back on dairy cause i think thats what trigerd my sever acne for 3 years, I cant think of anything else. Mabye its not lactose. Mabye it was somthing else. Mabye it was suger. Im really at a point where I cant keep not eating dairy products because of my sport.

Any sudgestions on what I should do/take/test/ on this dilema?and what would be the best way.

I don't think your bones are getting smaller, but more like less dense. Calcium alone won't build your bones, you need about 2.5-3g of phosphorus a day for 1g of calcium intake. Milk is naturally a source of phosphorus. You can take a multivitamin, but it does not provide nearly enough phosphorus but it can help.

As for getting sick after eating cheese, it's probably a milk allergy...assuming we are talking about hard cheeses. Liquid cheese is probably not preferable though since that will contain some lactose.

But I do have a milk allergy though, so I stay away from it. But yeah, try to at least include 1g of phosphorus a day. Also try to eat 2 bananas a day, that should give you 1-1.4g of potassium that you need.

Guest Gentle~Rain

There are lots of calcium rich foods out there that aren't in the dairy group...add more of them to your diet. And just because a family member can't process dairy doesn't mean you have the same problem.

If you want to eat dairy, TEST it and SEE if it breaks you out. You could also try goat dairy if you're allergic to cow. If you can't eat it, take cal-mag fizz or some other calcium supplement and you'll be fine.

Calcium alone won't build your bones, you need about 2.5-3g of phosphorus a day for 1g of calcium intake. Milk is naturally a source of phosphorus.

Oh man, you hit the nail on the head with that post!

It's shocking to me that there's so much emphasis on one single mineral (calcium), as if that's all you need for good bone health. But bone is a living tissue, and requires a spectrum of other nutrients IN ADDITION to calcium. That was borne out in that big news story a day or two ago about the large medical study which recently found that supplemental calcium (and vitamin D?) had no apparent benefit for long-term bone health in women.

I recommend milk over calcium supplements, because milk is also a source of other relevant factors like a balance between calcium and phosphorous, lactose, and butterfat.

Bryan

Calcium alone won't build your bones, you need about 2.5-3g of phosphorus a day for 1g of calcium intake. Milk is naturally a source of phosphorus.

Oh man, you hit the nail on the head with that post!

It's shocking to me that there's so much emphasis on one single mineral (calcium), as if that's all you need for good bone health. But bone is a living tissue, and requires a spectrum of other nutrients IN ADDITION to calcium. That was borne out in that big news story a day or two ago about the large medical study which recently found that supplemental calcium (and vitamin D?) had no apparent benefit for long-term bone health in women.

I recommend milk over calcium supplements, because milk is also a source of other relevant factors like a balance between calcium and phosphorous, lactose, and butterfat.

Bryan

Lactose is relevant in calcium absorption? So what about calcium from yogurt or kefir? Is the calcium absorbable, since the lactose is pre-digested?

I read recently that the calcium in milk isn't absorbable because it's inorganic calcium, and only organic calcium (like in vegetables, etc.) is absorbable. I'm not saying I believe this at all... but I'm just wondering what YOU think, Bryan, because I'm trying to figure out how to get enough calcium in my diet. I've been supplementing (calcium/magnesium/vit D), but I'd waaaaaay rather get it from food.

Ive been off dairy since mid july now, ive noticed my bones getting abit smaller, ive been drinking calium inriched soy milk ever since. and, been taking some calcium supplements .Just wondering if I am even lactose intollerant, My dad cant eat cheese without getting sick. And im ex accutane and dont have ance anymore but Im worried if i keep staying off dairy foods, my calcium intake could get dangerosly low. and im a extreme althlete so that wouldnt be a good thing. but then im scared to go back on dairy cause i think thats what trigerd my sever acne for 3 years, I cant think of anything else. Mabye its not lactose. Mabye it was somthing else. Mabye it was suger. Im really at a point where I cant keep not eating dairy products because of my sport.

Any sudgestions on what I should do/take/test/ on this dilema?and what would be the best way.

you can get calcium and protein in so many other ways...besides, perhaps a reason kids seem to be breaking out mor and more today because of what's actually in the milk we get from stores (i'm talking about how unnatural it is compared to how it was when your parents got it as kids)...read up on it, you'll be pleasantly surprised

wow , thanks for all those comments. I was scared that my bones were actually getting smaller. Shit. Anywase Like you said about the milk mikewilliams1 its whats actually in the milk that can cause most harm, not only the lactose. I might try to switch to organic milk or goat or almond milk. Is soy milk with 10 persent daily calcium a good idea?And do calcium tablets really work? which one is better though, carbonate or citrate?

Is soy milk with 10 persent daily calcium a good idea?And do calcium tablets really work?

Don't know about soy milk, but tablets work to some extent ("to some extent" being the key words, obviously).

which one is better though, carbonate or citrate?

Calcium citrate is more soluble than calcium carbonate, so use the citrate.

Bryan

Lactose is relevant in calcium absorption?

Sure. You didn't know that lactose stimulates calcium absorption?

So what about calcium from yogurt or kefir? Is the calcium absorbable, since the lactose is pre-digested?

My understanding is that those products contain some lactose, just not as much as milk. And keep in mind that I'm not saying that it's IMPOSSIBLE to absorb calcium without lactose, just that lactose is one of several factors in milk that are designed to assist with calcium absorption.

I read recently that the calcium in milk isn't absorbable because it's inorganic calcium, and only organic calcium (like in vegetables, etc.) is absorbable. I'm not saying I believe this at all... but I'm just wondering what YOU think, Bryan, because I'm trying to figure out how to get enough calcium in my diet.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! That claim is pure crap! :D Can you tell me where you read that?? I'd like to take a look at it, myself. Jeez...you can't trust ANYTHING you read these days. Everybody has heard the warning "Buyer beware". In this age of nonsense being posted on the Internet (I'm assuming that's where you read it), maybe we need a new one: "Reader beware".

I've been supplementing (calcium/magnesium/vit D), but I'd waaaaaay rather get it from food.

I agree. A decently designed calcium supplement with other factors besides just calcium is certainly better than nothing, but food is probably the best way to go (and milk is probably the best food for that).

Bryan

Lactose is relevant in calcium absorption?

Sure. You didn't know that lactose stimulates calcium absorption?

Nope!

So what about calcium from yogurt or kefir? Is the calcium absorbable, since the lactose is pre-digested?

My understanding is that those products contain some lactose, just not as much as milk. And keep in mind that I'm not saying that it's IMPOSSIBLE to absorb calcium without lactose, just that lactose is one of several factors in milk that are designed to assist with calcium absorption.

Yeah, yogurt and kefir can have a bit of lactose... but I think it depends on how long they've been fermented.

I read recently that the calcium in milk isn't absorbable because it's inorganic calcium, and only organic calcium (like in vegetables, etc.) is absorbable. I'm not saying I believe this at all... but I'm just wondering what YOU think, Bryan, because I'm trying to figure out how to get enough calcium in my diet.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! That claim is pure crap! :D Can you tell me where you read that?? I'd like to take a look at it, myself. Jeez...you can't trust ANYTHING you read these days. Everybody has heard the warning "Buyer beware". In this age of nonsense being posted on the Internet (I'm assuming that's where you read it), maybe we need a new one: "Reader beware".

LOL. I just read it on a random website. http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/CALCIUM.HTM

I'm glad it's pure crap! Now I can enjoy my kefir and not have to worry about supplementing.

LOL. I just read it on a random website. http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/CALCIUM.HTM

"Animal dairy products contain inorganic calcium. Which is not recognized, nor utilized by the body."

Jesus Herbert Christ! How does that clown explain the fact that BILLIONS of milk-fed babies (from both cow milk and human milk) have in fact grown bones on that food?? Is he completely, certifiably NUTS??

Bryan

"Animal dairy products contain inorganic calcium. Which is not recognized, nor utilized by the body."

Jesus Herbert Christ! How does that clown explain the fact that BILLIONS of milk-fed babies (from both cow milk and human milk) have in fact grown bones on that food?? Is he completely, certifiably NUTS??

Bryan

Broccoli is actually a better calcium source than milk. There are other veggies that far surpass milk as well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/hea...ack=1&cset=true

Broccoli is actually a better calcium source than milk. There are other veggies that far surpass milk as well.

"Better" in what way? "Far surpass" milk in what way? Please be specific.

Bryan