Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey all,

I don't usually post but have been an avid reader of these posts for 5 years. I won't bore you all with a detailed history of my 20+ years of acne, so I'll just give you my bio and what meds I've tried in the past. Here is goes:

Bio:

Sex: Male

Complexion History: Extremely oily skin starting at age 14. I started with one large cyst on my face with excessive blackheads at all times. As I reached my late teens/20’s, I had multiple cysts at a time, still oily with whiteheads and blackheads. My cysts went away around age 30, but oil, blackheads, and whiteheads prevail to this day. Here’s what I used from age 14 to 35:

BP (2.5, 5, and 10%)

Retin-A

Cleocin-T

Steroid injections (ouch!)

Erythromycin

Tetracycline

Salicylic Acid (washes and topical peels)

Murad

Proactive

DAN’s Regime

Etc. etc. etc…….

Some of these products dried up the acne, some over dried, but no matter what I used my sebaceous glands would fire up and work overtime to pump out enough oil to compensate for the dryness. (I’d like to thank DAN for his work putting together the Regime. It worked, but the BP makes me very oily, creates blackheads and stains my clothes. I just couldn’t do it anymore.)

So, after trying all this stuff and not achieving the results I demand, I had had enough, and went to the dermatologist today. I hadn’t been to one since 1995!

I told her what I just told you guys, with a little more detail. The first words out of her mouth were…..you guessed it…..�What do you think about accutane?� Holy crap! I couldn’t believe it. I had read most of the posts on this site about accutane, including the horror stories, and viewed the gallery of the damage that cystic acne has done, so I knew enough to ask some questions. But I guess I didn't think my face was that bad for her to prescribe accutane.

She told me accutane was perfect for what I had, blackheads, oily skin, with minimal whiteheads and small lesions (aka pimples). She prescribed Sortret (generic) 30mg to start and would go to 40mg next month. She said she was prescribing it to shrink my sebaceous glands which, according to her, are the cause of my blemishes. I’m to go 5 months. She expects my blackheads to diminish in 30 days.

What do you guys think? Does this sound right? Can accutane do this (shrink the oil glands)?

Thanks for your time in reading this.

Tom

AKA slmonkey2

thats why I will be on it...my derm alos said I have oily skin...I diidnt think it was for me until yesterday I had acne for 3 years now and been to the derm 1 and that was 2 months agao when he put me on antibiotics and diff, clindloxy(bp) didint woek so now he wants me to try accutane...He told me that I'm an adult and that enouhg is enough

What do you guys think? Does this sound right? Can accutane do this (shrink the oil glands)?

Yes, accutane does shrink the oil glands. And it's good that you're finally starting accutane, can't believe you didn't sooner after dealing with acne for 20 years, but hey, better late than never.

i just started accutane 2 days, and my face isnt severe, but my dermo said it help the oily skin and stop breakouts. i also went on alot of different treatments. give it a try !! you never know

good luck!

Yes, accutane does shrink the oil glands. And it's good that you're finally starting accutane, can't believe you didn't sooner after dealing with acne for 20 years, but hey, better late than never.

Yeah, would have been on it sooner if I had known they would have given it to me for my condition. I tried to get it in 1990 in the Air Force, but they said my acne wasn't severe enough, and thats when I had cystic acne. Don't want to know what "severe" meant to them. :)