Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rez

Meanest thing that someone has said about your acne

Reading through this entire thread I can't help but be shocked and appalled at some of the things that have been said to you guys. I can't imagine ever saying anything that cruel to anyone based on their appearance.

And it's funny that some people take it upon themselves to inform us of our acne - do they really think we haven't noticed?

I got acne early (around 10) so I had a lot of my classmates ask me about the things on my face. When I was in junior high (my first year in a public school - needless to say I was an extremely awkward kid) a group of boys in my woodshop class passed me a note with a poorly drawn figure on it with tons of spots all over the face, with "This is you" written in the corner. That was probably the worst thing anyone has ever said to me about my acne (the boy sitting next to me, someone I didn't know, took a look at it and said "Don't worry, that doesn't look like you at all" which I thought was really sweet). Other than that I had a lot of people (little kids, mostly) say things like "You have pimples!", which is innocuous but it still hurt to be reminded that my acne was visible to everyone around me.

Since high school I've hardly had anyone mention it, I think because it's gotten somewhat better, I've gotten better at covering it up, and most people I know have acne or have gone through it in puberty. I still spend hours obsessing over my face in the mirror! I think I always will even if my face ends up crystal clear.

Oh my gosh, that totally reminded me of 7th grade. I sat at this table in Algebra with 3 total jerks (actually, I was surrounded by jerks). I really did not look my best back then, severe acne because I had no idea what to do to take care of it; and I had hit puberty early but hadn't made up for it in height, so I was a little heavy. So I'm sitting in the sea of asses, and this piece of paper falls in my lap. It was meant for the guy next to me, and he tried to grab it from me, but I opened it and there was an overweight stick figure with huge spots allover its face. Next to it was my name, badly misspelled. When you're that young and so insecure, that really isn't the best thing. I got better looking and grew out of that stage, but I don't think I've shaken that insecurity away yet...

And I must agree that people who think we dont wash our faces are super ignorant!!! I take better care of myself than anyone I know...

LOL @ ''So I'm sitting in the sea of asses"

S'funny. & you're so pretty Nathalie! They must be kicking themselves now :P

A middle-aged man at work said to me, "what HAVE you done to your face!? You used to be a pretty girl." Other times he'd say in front of people things like "oh you must've been stuffing your face with chocolate over the weekend, look at all those spots."

At the age of 23 I found that pretty hard to take and left soon after. Haven't had a job since.

I hate the fact some people genuinely believe it's our own fault.

A middle-aged man at work said to me, "what HAVE you done to your face!? You used to be a pretty girl." Other times he'd say in front of people things like "oh you must've been stuffing your face with chocolate over the weekend, look at all those spots."

At the age of 23 I found that pretty hard to take and left soon after. Haven't had a job since.

Plain ignorance. Ive always found it funny to look back at the people who made comments at me about my skin when I had severe acne. Most left school with nothing to their names other than a criminal record and those that didnt had their own little battles with their skin, even if it wasnt half as bad as my own. Thats karma for ya!

Chocolate is the classic reason that those ignorant people think they can offer someone. Now im on my milk free diet plain or dark chocolate is my only little treat that agrees with my skin.

Plain ignorance. Ive always found it funny to look back at the people who made comments at me about my skin when I had severe acne. Most left school with nothing to their names other than a criminal record and those that didnt had their own little battles with their skin, even if it wasnt half as bad as my own. Thats karma for ya!

Chocolate is the classic reason that those ignorant people think they can offer someone. Now im on my milk free diet plain or dark chocolate is my only little treat that agrees with my skin.

is that you in your avatar??

cause you look just like seth mcfarlane(the creator of the family guy)

is that you in your avatar??

cause you look just like seth mcfarlane(the creator of the family guy)

Haha yeah thats me from June 2007. Back when I was briefly happy with how I looked. I can see what you are saying lol. I wouldnt mind having his talent though.

My brother (whose skin is NOT perfect, in fact his is getting worse while mine is getting better and hes 2 years older) was like "I can just imagine all your little friends calling you 'pimply pimply pimply'" I was like .. WOOOW... I think I threw something at him.

I HATE it when little kids are like "what's that on your face?" I never know how to respond.

One time, this mother of a girl I know and don't like, was like "I sell skin products and I think you could really benefit from them." I like DIED... right there..

Another time, a girl who I thought I was friends with told me she overheard people talking about me, and one of them didnt know who I was so the other one was like "you know that girl, the one with all the pimples on her face".. SMH...

A guy at school was like, "have you ever heard of zit cream?" I didn't answer..

People will say whatever comes into their head.. It's either that they're ignorant, or they're fuckin RUDE. Either way I just ignore them. I wish I had a better strategy, though. But I'd rather have them just STOP talking. =\

My brother (whose skin is NOT perfect, in fact his is getting worse while mine is getting better and hes 2 years older) was like "I can just imagine all your little friends calling you 'pimply pimply pimply'" I was like .. WOOOW... I think I threw something at him.

I HATE it when little kids are like "what's that on your face?" I never know how to respond.

One time, this mother of a girl I know and don't like, was like "I sell skin products and I think you could really benefit from them." I like DIED... right there..

Another time, a girl who I thought I was friends with told me she overheard people talking about me, and one of them didnt know who I was so the other one was like "you know that girl, the one with all the pimples on her face".. SMH...

People will say whatever comes into their head.. It's either that they're ignorant, or they're fuckin RUDE. Either way I just ignore them. I wish I had a better strategy, though. But I'd rather have them just STOP talking. =\

You are right it is very very rude. I class it in a way as discrimination- its not acceptable to comment on someone's sex, race, class, weight etc but why it is acceptable to comment on someone's acne? It isnt.

I just remembered of a particularly horrible comment that I received while I was working in a Hotel bar in July/August 2007. I didnt have acne at this point but generally poor skin as I was a teenager- so what. A customer came up to me at the counter and asked for a green tea. I was polite and helpful as I always was. She decided to then tell me that I should try it because it would be good for my skin. Ok so it wasnt directed at an acne sufferer but how dare this random woman who I had never seen before in my life say something like that? She had no idea how much that comment upset me, particularly with my personal mental battle with acne.

I was eiher in high school or college but at a shopping mall with my friend. This little kid looked at me and said to her mother "mommy, what's wrong with her face?". Oh, I felt like crap for the rest of the day...

No one has said anything bad recently (I am in high school), but in middle school people were alot worse.

This one kid would always say, "hey man, look you got pimples, hahaha"

and my friends would draw pictures of me with dots all over my face.

My grandpa asked me if I got in a fight once and I didn't really know what to say.

My experiences haven't been to bad but I am still a mess mentally from all the red spots on my face even though no one says anything about it.

You are right it is very very rude. I class it in a way as discrimination- its not acceptable to comment on someone's sex, race, class, weight etc but why it is acceptable to comment on someone's acne? It isnt.

I just remembered of a particularly horrible comment that I received while I was working in a Hotel bar in July/August 2007. I didnt have acne at this point but generally poor skin as I was a teenager- so what. A customer came up to me at the counter and asked for a green tea. I was polite and helpful as I always was. She decided to then tell me that I should try it because it would be good for my skin. Ok so it wasnt directed at an acne sufferer but how dare this random woman who I had never seen before in my life say something like that? She had no idea how much that comment upset me, particularly with my personal mental battle with acne.

What a bitch that woman is! That's not any of her business at all....and for the record i drink alot of green tea each day because i happen to like the way it tastes but its never done anything for my skin :confused: I also really hate the whole "chocolate" argument. What, do they think that people with clear skin never eat chocolate? What about the masses of overweight people with clear skin? It's such an ANNOYING and ignorant thing to say.

To Xdax - that's such a stupid comment for that person to make - do they WANT you do be depressed or something? I just don't understand people :( I'm sorry you had that happen to you!

All of the things I've read here are pretty horrible! People are so tactless!

I've been lucky that nobody has ever said anything nasty to me directly about my skin, or even behind my back (not that I would know :) ). What happens to me is that my friends will talk about other people's acne in front of me. And it's always negative (of course :rolleyes: ) . Like, "Some of the guys in our school have such bad acne." or "He's nice, but his acne is awful.". This is quickly followed by a backtrack when they remember that I'm there. In some ways, this is worse.

You see, it proves, I guess, that my friends don't think about ME having acne, and it doesn't bother them. On the other hand, it's just a painful reminder that anyone who doesn't know me well automatically focuses on my acne. I mean, if my friends think acne's gross on other people, other people are gonna think it's gross on me (Well, I knew that already, but I still don't like getting confirmation. :) )! What's particularly annoying is when those same friends then say to me " I don't know why you worry about your skin. It's not that bad. Nobody cares anyway...". I know they're trying to be nice, but seriously, it's just BS. Has this happened to anyone else?

Oh, I also get those "Geez, what happened to your face?" looks when I haven't seen someone for a while. Those are a killer...

Yeah, I hate it when small children ask whats on your face. They dont have bad intentions, they're just curious... it sucks responding. I just kinda mumble and then shove a toy in their face so they change the subject.

Oh, and I HATE the chocolate and sugar argument. Of course a better diet will be better for your skin, but its not like if you eat a hershey's kiss, you'll break out the next day. This is exactly how my boyfriend is. Of course I love him because he fell for me when I was at a lowish point and had worse skin and he loves me for me. But he's the type that wont eat anything because he says "I'll get a pimple tomorrow!". One day he came up to me and said how annoyed he was at this pimple at pointed at his face. He had to POINT IT OUT to me, it was puny. I want to smack him in the back of the head when he says that LOL And whats worse, his mom owns a spa. One of the most expensive in the area. So he gets all these cool samples, laying around in his bathroom... but me... of course not. I cannot wait until my birthday because I've been hinting I want to go to his mom's spa... :pray:

You see, it proves, I guess, that my friends don't think about ME having acne, and it doesn't bother them. On the other hand, it's just a painful reminder that anyone who doesn't know me well automatically focuses on my acne. I mean, if my friends think acne's gross on other people, other people are gonna think it's gross on me (Well, I knew that already, but I still don't like getting confirmation. :) )! What's particularly annoying is when those same friends then say to me " I don't know why you worry about your skin. It's not that bad. Nobody cares anyway...". I know they're trying to be nice, but seriously, it's just BS. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes it has happened to me. Don't worry, they accept you. Your friends care about you, and they're willing to overlook the condition. They see you all the time and enjoy your company.

I never had horrible acne. I have random pimples, and I compulsively pick at them and they become red and scabbed, looking even worse then they originally did. I've had it since I was 13, I am now 19. I used to have it worse before I started taking birth control, but I still break out a lot :(

Anyways back in middle school I got teased so insanely much for it, looking back at it now, I have no idea why, because I didn't have bad acne at all. I mostly just break out on my forehead :(

Anyways, in class, I've had someone say "It looks like you have a bunch of volcanoes on your head", and the class started laughing at me.

"Your forehead is shiny"

"You're ugly"

One time my friend was giving me a makeover, and she said "I'm going to do you a favor", and put a bunch of nasty foundation on my face, making me look even worse.

And recently my 10 year old brother told me, "It looks like you have a disease". That's probably the worst one.

And in the same day, in front of family, my 11 year old sister pointed out my acne and told me to get Proactive (she knows I have tried proactive without any luck, she was just being mean). And she continued to comment on it throughout the night in front of family just to make me feel bad.

EDIT: I just remembered, in middle school I had a study hall was 3 other girls (and just me), the whole period they used to torment me and make fun of me, making fun of the little zits I had. They used to draw pictures of me, laugh at me, and make horrible comments. The teacher did nothing. I hated middle school because of them.

This thread is sooooooooo depressing. I can't believe all the "WHATS THAT ON YOUR FACE?!?" comments, like they have never seen a pimple or acne before. Especially from adults, WTF! Old seniors asking what is on your face? Shouldn't they know wtf that is, and that it's not nice to make comments like that?

I will never ever ever ever comment about somebody's appearance, that is the rudest thing in the world to me.

I dont think Ive ever had anyone say anything horrible about my skin to my face,

but I hated how my friends who kept quiet and didnt say anything or didnt react or respond to you privately as a friend or ask how you were because it might be awkward wasnt great, I think it was the silence that killed me. But the people who did ask made feel like they actually cared because they wanted to know what happened or how you are, without criticism or telling you what to use was much better than just ignoring the problem.

I've also had situations where because I'm filipino, and surrounded by them, that sometimes the filipino adults have no tact, and just say it out loud. Or by sometimes the ignorance of little kids, but I'm over it now, I try not to let it get to me. I just let my smile outshine my face.

Definitely my mom. I use Benzaclin every night as prescribed. If I even have one or two small zits on my face she says "Use your benzaclin, your acne is terrible!" and I tell her that I use it every night. she then tells me that "you're obviously not using the benzaclin because you still have acne on your face." it's infuriating and saddening that my mother would be like this.

the worst part is that she knows benzaclin isn't an instant cure. she simply makes the constant comments(several per day) to be a bitch.

when i eventually get out on my own, i will most likely never speak to my mother because of this.

in middle school, a kid drew a picture of a face and then dotted it all over with a pencil and then titled it 'blackhead boy' and slipped it into my notebook when i wasnt looking. it hurt a bit, but middle school kids are expected to be cruel. its mostly my mom that gets to me.

People don't normally say anything, but once, in 7th grade, I was standing in line for something and a guy just randomly said "You're ugly" to my face.

The worst was when I saw my best friend, (who had moved away) for the the first time in a while, the first thing she says to me after she hugs me is "Wow, your face is red" D:

Definitely my mom. I use Benzaclin every night as prescribed. If I even have one or two small zits on my face she says "Use your benzaclin, your acne is terrible!" and I tell her that I use it every night. she then tells me that "you're obviously not using the benzaclin because you still have acne on your face." it's infuriating and saddening that my mother would be like this.

the worst part is that she knows benzaclin isn't an instant cure. she simply makes the constant comments(several per day) to be a bitch.

when i eventually get out on my own, i will most likely never speak to my mother because of this.

in middle school, a kid drew a picture of a face and then dotted it all over with a pencil and then titled it 'blackhead boy' and slipped it into my notebook when i wasnt looking. it hurt a bit, but middle school kids are expected to be cruel. its mostly my mom that gets to me.

That's beyond horrible, not to mention insanely immature of her. She must have very low self esteem to be picking on her own child. Do you ever REALLY tell her that it bothers you when she comments on your face? Make a big deal about it.

oooh man the things I can say. A lot of them from family (not my own parents, who thankfully are very supportive) but my aunts and uncles.

One time I was walking down the street, and someone came up to and was like dude your face looks like you have chicken pocks or something. I only stared them down, really really badly wanting to sock them in the face. Yet at the same time I wanted to run off and cry.

I was in the bathroom fixing my hair, after school in high school about to go to a club meeting. Two girls walked in, and started talking and I noticed them staring, after a while one of the girls turned to her friend and told her in Urdu ( a different language I understand) that if I ever looked like that I wouldn't walk out of the house.

It hurt the most when my aunt bluntly said to my face if there was a surgery or something to help, because no one would want someone who looked like me. Because I wasn't pretty, have horrible acne, and am fat.

Don't you just love people?

The common 'wash your face/buy clearasil'

Then my mums 'you should go see a doctor about your skin'

But number one is being told I look like I'm in my early teens:

Was learning to dive, but went to a 'try dive' to see what it was like.

Finished and we were all at the top of the pool.

Trainer says: 'You should all have no problems on the course. Wait, you (me). How old are you?'

Me: '20.'

Trainer: 'Oh (sounding surprised)! You should be fine then.'

I didn't know there was an age restriction, so I asked my dad, and he said:

'Think the youngest you can be is ten'

Worse bit is, there were two guys there two years younger than me (without acne) that didn't get questioned. :(

Another time:

'Don't worry, I used to have bad acne when I was your age.'

Said to me by a guy a year older than me, lmao.

Nevermind though, lol.

For some reason, people like to make comment about my acne and appereance in general. Even if I only have one acne on my face, people at work*especially women* will say "You have acne" in front of everyone, very happy to announce to everyone that I have flaws.

Right now I don't have active acne but I have scars on my cheek which I covered with concealer, and this woman at work looked at my cheek very closely *seriously, her stupid face was only an inch away from my face* and said out loud "Wait, is that acne on your cheek?", and it wasn't even acne. I always convince myself that people are jealous because I'm skinny, smart and funny. I'm probably deluded.

I always convinces myself that people are jealous because I'm skinny, smart and funny. I'm probably deluded.

You know I think the same thing sometimes. When someone called me a name, even if they had flawless skin (from a distance at least) then I would wonder if they have something to hide themselves. Nobody's perfect. Are they jealous because actually they think I am good looking but I look a little 'different' to them? Jealousy comes to mind sometimes, as it did for you. Its great that you have that confidence though to turn it around and think that they are jealous because of the things that you like best about yourself.

"you're kidding, right?" or...

"is that enough?" oh and my favorite...

"this kid is dying"

I'm kind of glad that I dealt with severe acne. it really gives you a glimpse of how cruel people can be, which in turn makes you realize how ugly, being cruel, is.

and now, I'm always quick to stand up for or aid those who are going through hardships which I lived through, cause I know I would've wanted someone like that.