Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi!

Not sure if many people post here, but I wanted to start an accutane log - mostly for my own benefit, and I would love to get feedback, advice, support if anyone is out there.

I am a 26 year old male and I have had acne for roughly 12 years. I guess my problem is mild to moderate. My acne is not cystic, but I do get large, ugly pus-filled whiteheads. On average, I wake up to a new whitehead almost everyday, sometimes three or four or more. The other main problem is very oily skin.

I have tried many treatments over the years. I was actually one of Dan's regimen users for a long time. And it was a very effective treatment, keeping me about 95% clear. But unfortunately, my skin is just too sensitive for benzoyl peroxide and the oilyness persisted.

I am just done with topicals. My skin does not look good when I use them and I just can't keep using them for the rest of my life. My acne is clearly not going away for awhile.

So despite all of the side effects, I have decided to start on accutane. Acne is really controlling my life. It is keeping me down at work and at school (I work full-time and I am getting my MBA). People actually wince when they look at my face because it looks so shiny and red. I just want to be a normal person! I think accutane can help with this.

I will be starting in two days, I think...

Hi!

Not sure if many people post here, but I wanted to start an accutane log - mostly for my own benefit, and I would love to get feedback, advice, support if anyone is out there.

I am a 26 year old male and I have had acne for roughly 12 years. I guess my problem is mild to moderate. My acne is not cystic, but I do get large, ugly pus-filled whiteheads. On average, I wake up to a new whitehead almost everyday, sometimes three or four or more. The other main problem is very oily skin.

I have tried many treatments over the years. I was actually one of Dan's regimen users for a long time. And it was a very effective treatment, keeping me about 95% clear. But unfortunately, my skin is just too sensitive for benzoyl peroxide and the oilyness persisted.

I am just done with topicals. My skin does not look good when I use them and I just can't keep using them for the rest of my life. My acne is clearly not going away for awhile.

So despite all of the side effects, I have decided to start on accutane. Acne is really controlling my life. It is keeping me down at work and at school (I work full-time and I am getting my MBA). People actually wince when they look at my face because it looks so shiny and red. I just want to be a normal person! I think accutane can help with this.

I will be starting in two days, I think...

the last paragraph is what i have to go through all the tim :( its really depressing isnt it, having everyone look at you and them want to look away... i go to hgh school and i get bullied ad picked on... its not good at all

thogh i started roaccutane - uk version of accutane - a four days ago and already my skin is a lot clearer.. i think, though ive probly jinxed it now...

good luck! let me kno how u get on

Good luck man! I hope accutane clears you up quickly and nicely! I am one month in, and so far, its not too bad at all. I am now just getting over my initial breakout and it was not too terrible. You can follow along in my log as it seems that our acne is quite similar. My log is "Friday the 13th...." Have a good one!

Thanks for the replies! I will keep updating and I wish everyone the best of luck with their treatment.

I should get the 'ok' from my derm tomorrow, so my first day will be February 13, 2006.

Facewash:

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Morning Lotion:

Eucerin Renewal Day Lotion, SPF 15

Evening Lotion:

Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion

Lips:

Vaseline

My presciption calls for one 40mg capsule of Amnesteem twice a day (80mg per day). This seems too high to me - I weigh 165lbs. So I am going to start with 40mg a day at first and then I think I will bump it up to 60mg if everything is working alright.

I know that daily shaving will be a challenge during the treatment, so I have decided to grow a goatee, even though it looks terrible!

Hey hey! I am a fellow accutane user. I am about 2 1/2 weeks ahead of you. If you are as lucky as me, you are going to have nothing but good results and few side effects!! I HOPE you are as lucky as I have been. Anyway, I would do what your dermatologist wrote the prescription for. They went to med school and they definitely know what they are doing!! The higher doses are to keep you clearer longer. Also, if you start on a low dose and bump it up, you are going to have more breakouts as you change your doses. Just do what your derm recommends!!

By the way, your choices of cleansers and lotions and stuff look good. Seems like you have taken advice from someone who has done this before!

Keep us updated! We fellow tane users have to stick together. Best of luck popping your first pill! :)

Thanks TennesseeGirl. I hope you get the chance to check up on me every now and again to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

I am just scared to take so much accutane right from the start, but I will ask the doctor for his opinion. I don't know that taking less will necessarily be safer or result in fewer side effects. The doctor's logic is: with the high dose over 4-5 months, I will have a better chance of seeing long term results.

I am so lucky that I have had acne for my entire life because now I know more about cleansers and moisturizers than anyone I have ever met. Now that is something I can be proud of! You should see my medicine cabinet - I can barely get the door closed because it is overflowing with all the bottles of stuff I have tried over the years.

Today was probably my last chance to enjoy the California weather, so I spent a lot of time outside in the sun. 85 degrees in February, awesome...

Congratulations!! For some people popping the first pill is the hardest thing! For me... I was SO EXCITED I couldn't even contain myself. I got the pills, ran and ate and popped it as soon as I could!

Anyway, I am sure you will be fine on the high dose. I am on a lower dose cause I am a pretty small person (115 lbs on a bad day) and my acne is mild - just very persistent. I kind of want to bump up the dose, though, to make sure this beast never comes back! And by the way, I am impressed that you found one tiny way to be happy over having acne. For me, it's that it has kept me humble - I always think about how it could be worse and that acne really isn't the worst thing I could be experiencing. (A sophomore from my high school back home was in a freak car accident last spring and had to have her arm amputated. ...it could definitely be worse than acne.)

I am jealous that you are in CA. Utah is so gross this time of year. It was like 45 degrees outside today and we were all rejoicing cause we thought that was amazing!! How weird are we?!

Keep your chin up the next 2 weeks - 1 month. Your skin might do some weird stuff... but dont' stop living and don't stop having fun. Acne is very temporary - especially now that you have accutane! :) Best wishes! We're all rooting for you!

I am so lucky that I have had acne for my entire life because now I know more about cleansers and moisturizers than anyone I have ever met.

lol, luck sure isn't what it used to be ;-)

Anyway, good luck on the 'tane and I'd reiterate what people have said about sticking to the dose your derm suggests - they'll be able to judge how severe your acne is, how much your body can handle, what they think offers the best chance of remission, etc. Better to start on a high dose and just get it all out the way then spend 2 months or so on a lower dose, increase it because you don't think its working, suffer a second breakout, etc...

Hope it goes well!

DAY 2

Wow, thanks for the support everyone. I don't have much to report, I took another 80mg today. It is probably too soon to see any side effects and also too soon to see any improvement. Oh well...

I am with you TennesseeGirl. I just couldnt wait to get started on Accutane. And you are right on about finding the positives that come from having acne. It has seriously had an impact on my life and I hope that I am a better person for it. I wont stop living...I can't! I am insanely busy at work and midterms start this week. It is good to stay occupied so I don't stress about my face.

DangerMouse - that is EXACTLY what I was thinking when I took my first pill. I just want to take the high dose and be done with it and get this poison out of my system as soon as possible.

DAY 3

WHOA!!!! I was not prepared for this. My face was sooo dry when I woke up this morning. I did not expect the Accutane to kick in so quickly. I should have read more of the logs on the forum, because now I see that many people start to experience dryness on the third day.

I don't know how to react right now. My face is dry and tight and red. Well I know that the Accutane is working, but if it is this bad on day three, how bad will it be in the coming days? I hope I am not taking too much. And I hope my face doesnt get any worse tomorrow. I just loaded up on the moisturizer tonight.

I took another 80mg today.

So I told a female friend of mine about the Accutane because I don't want to scare people if my face gets all red and starts peeling and breaks out worse than usual. And she says to me, "I never noticed any skin problems, I always thought you had very nice skin." Obviously this must be a lie, because my skin is horrible. Why do people feel the need to say that? I know she was just trying to be nice, but come on...

Or maybe I am just imagining these large painful pimples on my face?

just wanted to tell you that i had the same as you on day 3, my skin was really red and dry and tight and just felt really horrible. it was like that was about 5 days until day 8 the redness just went away and i have not really had a problem with it since. make sure you use a moisturiser cos it really helps the dry skin. i apply it thick before i go to bed and thin in the morning cos i put make up on.

good luck

DAY 4

80mg. Skin is still dry and red, but probably not as bad as day 3. Someone asked today if I was sunburned. I really don't care as long as the dryness doesn't get much worse. I am all about the long-term.

Thanks kj, I hope my skin reacts the same way. Glad to hear you are doing so well.

DAY 6

80 mg. I think there is a good chance that my skin might be getting better. I could be wrong, but I don't think my skin is as dry as it was the previous three days. My scalp is really starting to itch though.

I took the Accutane with breakfast and lunch today (instead of my usual lunch and dinner routine). As it worked out, I actually took 160mg in less than 24 hours. I hope that is ok.

Still breaking out below my mouth, probably due to the excessive dryness - I have a difficult time moisturizing there because I haven't shaved in a week. I am using Purpose Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion during the day and Cetaphil lotion at night. I have yet to use the Eucerin Skin Renewal lotion - my face is too irritated for that moisturizer right now.

My forehead still looks bad, although no new pimples that I see. And the ones I have feel different than they normally do (not as inflammed), but they still look really terrible. I am going to avoid popping for at least another couple of days.

DAY 7

80mg. My face is definitely getting better (knock on wood), but some damage has already been done because I am pretty flaky, especially around my mouth. My nose is still really dry and irritated, but the rest of my face seems to have considerably less redness. My scalp also is not as itchy today.

Skin looks less oily, pores look smaller, and pimples appear to be clearing, I hope, I hope...I am pleased so far.

Other than that, I am bored, bored, bored. I dont look so great so I didnt feel like going out today and that is no fun at all.

DAY 8

80mg. I just checked and my face looks passable. Still really dry of course, but no new breakouts for the most part. Old breakouts are going away, slowly. Not much redness except for my nose and around my nose. My nose is even shinier than before I started.

As a bonus, I think my back is clearing up as well. Not a major concern right now, but if it happens, great!

I have been eating so much since I started, but I haven't gained a single pound. I have always been underweight and I have a difficult time keeping weight on (probably has a lot to do with my healthy diet). I also slept for almost twelve hours last night and that is not like me at all.

DAY 9

80mg. I think I am on the verge of a big forehead breakout. I guess it has kind of already happened. So many bumps, too many to count. Most are small and could be gone by tomorrow, or they may grow into something bigger, kind of hard to explain. I have seen my skin act like this before. My forehead was the only part of my face that I was treating with a topical when I started on accutane, so I am not surprised that some stuff is coming to the surface after being off the topical for a week.

Rest of the face looks alright.

DAY 10

80mg. Double digit day, woohoo! Still watching my forehead, couple of new big ones up there, but not as bad as I thought it might be, yet...

Face doesn't feel as tight and dry as before. Ears are a bit dry though...I need to start applying moisturizer there too. I can't believe I haven't had a nosebleed yet because the inside of my nose is very dry.

You know, I was expecting this experience to be much worse than it is. It isn't that bad so far (knock on wood).

DAY 11

Forehead is still breaking out unfortunately. I just need to be patient I think.

As anticipated, got my first nosebleed this morning. The corners of my mouth are really dry and cracked too. And even though my face doesn't feel as dry as before, I am peeling more now. Not too bad though...

DAY 12

80mg. I think my forehead is improving...(laugh) I wonder how many times I will say that over the next four months.

Everything else is the same

Lips: very dry

Skin: semi-dry and mild peeling

Redness: not too bad

Scalp: fine

No other noticeable side effects

DAY 13

80mg.

Lips: very dry

Skin: semi-dry and mild peeling

Redness: not too bad

Scalp: fine

I have not changed my weightlifting routine, so far the Accutane has not given me joint/muscle problems. In fact, I am lifting more weight than ever and I have gained 5+ pounds since I started the Accutane, which is a good thing.

I am getting nosebleeds everyday now, but they are so mild that I am not too concerned. They only last for like ten seconds, not like it is gushing blood... Unfortunately, the nosebleeds only come at night so they are ruining my sheets.

I promised myself I would not drink any alcohol until at least after my first blood work coming up in two weeks. Makes hanging out with my drunken friends no fun at all. I want a beer so bad...