Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChaKarissa

Wow - I have a serious problem.

There are people in my life with whom I am 100% myself and totally comfortable to be around - my family and my boyfriend. That's it.

I realized today that my anxiety problem is getting worse and that I might need to consider some sort of therapy. Here's the problem: Anytime I have to have one-on-one interaction with someone other than my family or boyfriend, I get nervous. If I'm talking to a friend then it's not that bad, and I'm usually ok. But if I have to talk to someone in class that I don't know well, or especially talk in front of the whole class, I get really bad anxiety. I can feel my heart pounding. I get knots in my stomach. I sweat. A lot. And worst of all (because it's visible) my face often turns bright red. As if it weren't bad enough that I have acne and that my face is already unattractive, it turns red, and of course everyone sees it, and is probably wondering, "What the hell is this girl's problem?!?"

Although my acne has been clearing up, my condition seems to be getting worse! It's so embarrassing. I don't know what to do. I don't think I'm ugly, but I do think my face is far from attractive. Today in class we got into groups of 3, and I was partnered up with a girl and a guy, both of whom I've met before and talked to a few times. But I don't know either of them well. We had to take turns talking about our project. It was a very laidback conversation, but even then, my face turned all red and I started sweating as I began to worry that they were judging me and looking at my horrible face! Plus, the girl in my group is absolutely beautiful - long blonde hair, big blue eyes, gorgeous eyelashes, awesome body, flawless skin.

I hate this. I feel so stupid. This acne has caused such a big problem in my life. Advice, anyone? :cry:

hum...

you ain't alone in this boat my friend...

WHen the teacher, out of the blue, is asking me a question, i turn red. I can hear my heart pounding 2...

( i'm ok for oral presentation though... )

You do not have a problem.

How old are you? Sometimes confidence improves just with age...maybe you should actually go ahead with some therapy? Nothing serious, you dont have big problems, just low self esteem which comes with acne. Sometimes just reading a self help book is enough for people to feel a bit better.

You just need to relax, trust me they're not going to treat you differently to anyone else. They are wrapped up in their own lives. It's easy to think people spend their lives analysing others, but thats just not true. Next time you're in a social situation, just breathe and try to be kind to yourself.

If you have a supportive family and a boyfriend who loves you, you are a very lucky person and you clearly have lots of good sides to your peersonality. Tell them about your worries maybe, and just think about why they love you so much. Good luck, I've got no doubt things will improve for you in the end. But you have to work to make it sooner rather than later :)

hum...

you ain't alone in this boat my friend...

WHen the teacher, out of the blue, is asking me a question, i turn red. I can hear my heart pounding 2...

( i'm ok for oral presentation though... )

You do not have a problem.

I wish I believed that! I definitely have a problem. This isn't normal behavior. Thanks for the sympathy, though :) .

How old are you? Sometimes confidence improves just with age...maybe you should actually go ahead with some therapy? Nothing serious, you dont have big problems, just low self esteem which comes with acne. Sometimes just reading a self help book is enough for people to feel a bit better.

You just need to relax, trust me they're not going to treat you differently to anyone else. They are wrapped up in their own lives. It's easy to think people spend their lives analysing others, but thats just not true. Next time you're in a social situation, just breathe and try to be kind to yourself.

If you have a supportive family and a boyfriend who loves you, you are a very lucky person and you clearly have lots of good sides to your peersonality. Tell them about your worries maybe, and just think about why they love you so much. Good luck, I've got no doubt things will improve for you in the end. But you have to work to make it sooner rather than later :)

Yeah, I think some sort of therapy would help me a lot. When I start to get nervous, I do try to think "ok, breathe, just be yourself," because I know I'm a smart, funny girl and I have a lot to offer socially. I talk to my boyfriend about it sometimes, but he can't really relate and hasn't offered any significant advice. I guess it will just take time. Thanks for the encouraging words, you made me smile :D !

There are people in my life with whom I am 100% myself and totally comfortable to be around - my family and my boyfriend. That's it.

I realized today that my anxiety problem is getting worse and that I might need to consider some sort of therapy. Here's the problem: Anytime I have to have one-on-one interaction with someone other than my family or boyfriend, I get nervous. If I'm talking to a friend then it's not that bad, and I'm usually ok. But if I have to talk to someone in class that I don't know well, or especially talk in front of the whole class, I get really bad anxiety. I can feel my heart pounding. I get knots in my stomach. I sweat. A lot. And worst of all (because it's visible) my face often turns bright red. As if it weren't bad enough that I have acne and that my face is already unattractive, it turns red, and of course everyone sees it, and is probably wondering, "What the hell is this girl's problem?!?"

Although my acne has been clearing up, my condition seems to be getting worse! It's so embarrassing. I don't know what to do. I don't think I'm ugly, but I do think my face is far from attractive. Today in class we got into groups of 3, and I was partnered up with a girl and a guy, both of whom I've met before and talked to a few times. But I don't know either of them well. We had to take turns talking about our project. It was a very laidback conversation, but even then, my face turned all red and I started sweating as I began to worry that they were judging me and looking at my horrible face! Plus, the girl in my group is absolutely beautiful - long blonde hair, big blue eyes, gorgeous eyelashes, awesome body, flawless skin.

I hate this. I feel so stupid. This acne has caused such a big problem in my life. Advice, anyone? :cry:

My life, except Im like this with everyone. It really sucks.

Yeah, I think some sort of therapy would help me a lot. When I start to get nervous, I do try to think "ok, breathe, just be yourself," because I know I'm a smart, funny girl and I have a lot to offer socially. I talk to my boyfriend about it sometimes, but he can't really relate and hasn't offered any significant advice. I guess it will just take time. Thanks for the encouraging words, you made me smile :D !

Hey, what seems to be the problem here? Tell me who you are and what is your problem?

I already explained the problem...

I'm 20. I don't feel like I have low self-esteem, but my uncomfortable behavior in public seems to indicate otherwise.

hello, i think i can relate to you.

I'm 17, and I've developed panic disorder just recently. When it first came, i thought I was losing my mind. All of a sudden, I couldn't focus on what was happening around me, my heart was racing, I was breathless - almost thought i was going to suffocate - and I was hearing things. WHen this happened, I was just sitting in my first period class at my high school. I wasn't standing in front of anybody nor was I talking to anybody.

Even though I am 100% sure that I'm perfectly comfortable when talking to strangers or distant friends, I turn extremely red and get all sweaty, for some reason. All these problems were compounded by a sleep disorder, where I would wake up paralyzed. This sleep paralysis happened every day, and I was afraid to go to sleep.

I sought help from a neurologist. (I had had a history of epilepsy, so I was thinking that this mental disease had come back.) To my surprise, the doctor said it was a panic disorder, or, at least, I was one really anxious kid. He prescribed Klonopin, which made me really drowsy, so later he put me on Ativan for panic disorder. He also gave me an antidepressant for the sleep disorder.

So far, I've managed pretty well with the help of medication. I still turn extremely red for no reason, as if I were really embarrassed, though. I hope I'll get better someday.

So, I guess, my advice is to seek professional help. I hope you get better!

I have this problem too, but my face doesn't turn quite as red. My face does get a little more tan when I'm nervous for some reason...as opposed to red.

But I still might turn more red than I am comfortable with. I just wished other parts of my body turned red instead of the face...God it sucks since it's the first thing everyone sees.

What you are dealing with normal. It is the excess baggage that acne brings along. I only wish I didn't care so much about what others think of me...

Maybe you could try some deep breathing when you begin to feel nervous.

It sounds like you have a social anxiety disorder. It may or may not be simply because of acne. If it isn't due to acne, then you could seek some sort of therapy, which will probably involve cognitive-behaviour therapy, which basically teaches you to think differently when these situations arise. If it IS due to acne, then obviously you would just treat the acne.

Good luck. I know what you are dealing with, I sympathise totally.

I get so nervous sometimes it's sad. It's to the point where I actually throw up, or cry.

I don't know if I turn red I can feel myself getting hot but I really hate the sweating. I mean who wants to deal with pit stains? Bah.

certain dri link

That stuff really helped me with my sweating problem maybe yours is different but I get so nervous that I sweat too much, and when I finally found a comfort zone I was stuck with gross pit stains which just contributed to me being nervous all over again. However certain dri has really helped me.

But yeah, I would suggest therapy. I've just been doing self-help techniques, and just accepting I can not be nervous my entire life. I mean if I had the money to stay in my house away from the world, yes, but I gotta pay the bills, so.

Ah, so you can relate. Sucks, huh? Thanks for the info about certain dri. I think I'll definitely look into that, because I need help. That's a good start. And I really know how you feel about the perpetual cycle: you get nervous and sweat, then calm down and realize you have pit stains, which leads to more nervousness, etc. :wall:

hello, i think i can relate to you.

I'm 17, and I've developed panic disorder just recently. When it first came, i thought I was losing my mind. All of a sudden, I couldn't focus on what was happening around me, my heart was racing, I was breathless - almost thought i was going to suffocate - and I was hearing things. WHen this happened, I was just sitting in my first period class at my high school. I wasn't standing in front of anybody nor was I talking to anybody.

Even though I am 100% sure that I'm perfectly comfortable when talking to strangers or distant friends, I turn extremely red and get all sweaty, for some reason. All these problems were compounded by a sleep disorder, where I would wake up paralyzed. This sleep paralysis happened every day, and I was afraid to go to sleep.

I sought help from a neurologist. (I had had a history of epilepsy, so I was thinking that this mental disease had come back.) To my surprise, the doctor said it was a panic disorder, or, at least, I was one really anxious kid. He prescribed Klonopin, which made me really drowsy, so later he put me on Ativan for panic disorder. He also gave me an antidepressant for the sleep disorder.

So far, I've managed pretty well with the help of medication. I still turn extremely red for no reason, as if I were really embarrassed, though. I hope I'll get better someday.

So, I guess, my advice is to seek professional help. I hope you get better!

Wow, it seems like the problem you're dealing with is a lot more difficult than mine. I really admire that you got help and that your problem is getting under control :) . I don't know if I'll do professional help, but I want to. I'm just worried about the cost.

Thanks all of yall who offered sympathy and advice. That made me feel somewhat better. I had an emotional breakdown yesterday in the car on the way to dinner. I told my boyfriend I thought I needed some sort of therapy to help my problem.

He's known about my problem, but I guess he never thought it was too severe. As I started crying uncontrollably I think he started to realize how much it bothers me. But even then, he didn't offer too much help. He tried to console me but he seemed to shrug the problem off and not consider it to be anything serious. He thinks it happens to everyone, but I know that's not true. It's not normal for someone to be in an everyday conversation and suddenly start sweating immensely and turning red, to the point where it affects my behavior and makes me act like someone I'm not.

I got pretty upset that he wasn't making me feel better. Oh well. I don't know what's going to happen. But it's nice to know you guys are there for me . If it doesn't get better soon, I don't know what else to do but seek help.

the best way for you to overcome ur anxiety is to face what causes that anxiety.

I know sometimes that seems next to impossible but u cant live ur life forever in fear.

chakarissa, are you in high school or college? if you really need to talk to a professional ... maybe you should start out in school cuz the people there are there to help and it's free.

just a suggestion.

I get anxious just reading about other people's anxiety, lol. I can totally relate. Whenever I have to speak impromptu or am thrown in an unexpected situation, I get so flustered. My face, too, becomes flushed and, as I like to describe it, fire engine red. I sweat profusely and, worst of all, my rate of speech goes through the freakin' roof. I talk fast as it is, but when I get nervous or self-conscious, it's similar to the voice of the person who reads the terms and conditions at the end of commercials. It is such a cycle, too. Instead of focusing on what I'm about to say, I start thinking about what I just said, hoping I didn't use the wrong word or grossly mispronounce something. Usually when I reach that point, the conversation is doomed. Some days are worse than others; some days I'm perfectly fine. The inconsistency is the most frustrating. I really envy those who are accomplished public speakers.

I get anxious just reading about other people's anxiety, lol. I can totally relate. Whenever I have to speak impromptu or am thrown in an unexpected situation, I get so flustered. My face, too, becomes flushed and, as I like to describe it, fire engine red. I sweat profusely and, worst of all, my rate of speech goes through the freakin' roof. I talk fast as it is, but when I get nervous or self-conscious, it's similar to the voice of the person who reads the terms and conditions at the end of commercials. It is such a cycle, too. Instead of focusing on what I'm about to say, I start thinking about what I just said, hoping I didn't use the wrong word or grossly mispronounce something. Usually when I reach that point, the conversation is doomed. Some days are worse than others; some days I'm perfectly fine. The inconsistency is the most frustrating. I really envy those who are accomplished public speakers.

Ahhhh, we're like identical!

chakarissa, are you in high school or college? if you really need to talk a professional ... maybe you should start out in school cuz the people there are there to help and it's free.

just a suggestion.

I'm in college...

I never thought about that! Great idea.

Thanks so much! I was so worried about the cost, but that's a really great idea.

All I have to say is thank you, fetal alcohol syndrome boy!

I bought the stuff and it worked perfectly. I used it today and there was a career fair going on at our school. Normally I would be really nervous and of course get anxious and start sweating, but today I didn't sweat at all. And that just made me more and more confident. I think everything's going to get a lot better.

Thank you. :)

Glad to hear something worked! I don't blush easily (when people are being nice, they call me "dramatic" and when they aren't being nice "attention-whore", so I'm used to being the center of attention) BUT-

the few times I have blushed was so embarressing! I couldn't image having to go through that everyday! Good to hear something is helping!

(This is what the boards were created for! Go FASB!)

You should start taking an herb that's called "St. John's Wort"...it works for depression, anxiety, and I heard also for Social Phobia. It's a type of sedative...it calms the nerves and makes you more relaxed. Either get Kira brand or Perika brand (I found Kira brand in Drug Fair)..do NOT get Sundown brand..it doesn't work for shit.

Just a suggestion anyway. Just do a search for St. John's Wort for more info on it.

Ok, yall. This is an update .

I am so happy with the new deodorant. I no longer sweat like crazy, sometimes not even at all! And it was the sweating that, in the past, caused me to be more nervous, then it was a perpetual cycle that never ended. I just kept getting more and more nervous and just couldn't be myself.

But all that has nearly disappeared. Today, I had to do 2 things in front of groups. I had to present my building design to a group of 8 people + 1 TA in class, which I did without a stumble or anything! And no redness of the face. I felt very comfortable. Then, I had to speak in front of a group of like 50 or more at this meeting. I was great! I felt confident, I didn't hesitate or stumble, I didn't turn red, I felt fine. It was a great feeling.

I think things are starting to look up :D . Thanks to all of yall who offered me help in this tough situation.