Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SomebodyHelp

Who else here has been depressed while on Accutane?

Anyone else here, who usually doesn't get depressed, who's had majordepression problems while on Accutane? I've almost hit rock bottom. At times I even think of suicide. As my face has started to fix itself after extreme peeling, I've started to feel better about myself, yet while I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep I just started having random thoughts about being useless,unsatisfied with life, and pretty much hating myself. Now mind you, I never really had any of these thoughts before, besides the occasional unsatisfied that we all get. Do you guys feel that it is the Accutane itself that causes this depression or just the fact that your skin isn't getting any better? I also seem to complain alot nowadays. I'm being such an asshole to my mother as of late, but I don't feel guilty. I'm almost angry at the world for my goddamn face. :wall:

I dont' get extreme depressed. I just get a little when i see that accutane isn't working yet, but im patient. Just the fact that my face loks like crap makes me a bit pissed but nothing to severe

Anyone else here, who usually doesn't get depressed, who's had majordepression problems while on Accutane? I've almost hit rock bottom. At times I even think of suicide. As my face has started to fix itself after extreme peeling, I've started to feel better about myself, yet while I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep I just started having random thoughts about being useless,unsatisfied with life, and pretty much hating myself. Now mind you, I never really had any of these thoughts before, besides the occasional unsatisfied that we all get. Do you guys feel that it is the Accutane itself that causes this depression or just the fact that your skin isn't getting any better? I also seem to complain alot nowadays. I'm being such an asshole to my mother as of late, but I don't feel guilty. I'm almost angry at the world for my goddamn face. :wall:

This is the kind of thing you need to bring up with your doctor ASAP. Depression is linked to serotonin levels, and the Accutane may (or may not) play a role in interfering with those levels. It's not normal to feel depressed to the point of hating yourself and thinking about suicide, especially when those thoughts weren't there PRE-Accutane. Call your doctor ASAP and seek his advice.

I stopped taking accutane a week ago because it's been giving me extreme anxiety. I'm now taking xanax daily until my body will start behaving normally again. No matter what some people may like to think, having perfect skin isn't worth you developing psychological problems. Stop taking your accutane, tell your mother how you are feeling immediately, and call your doctor as soon as possible. I hope you feel better.

I have a hunch that many people unconciously try to pawn their emotional problems/issues off on Accutane rather than just accepting responsibility for them and changing the way they act. But nevertheless, you shouldn't be feeling suicidal...

I really think you should talk to your mother about it and your doctor too. Accutane has never been proven to cause depression, but you'll find more than a few controversial websites that say otherwise. Better to be safe than sorry, if you think it could be the cause of it. Maybe your doctor would be willing to prescribe some antidepressants for you to take in addition to the Accutane, rather than just taking you off of the drug entirely, if that's what you're concerned about. I'm not sure if that's a common thing for them to do or not nowadays with all the negative publicity it's received though.

I have a hunch that many people unconciously try to pawn their emotional problems/issues off on Accutane rather than just accepting responsibility for them and changing the way they act. But nevertheless, you shouldn't be feeling suicidal...

That is NOT true at all. I have no REAL problems whatsoever in my life at the moment, yet I feel sad for no appearant reason, I cry often for no reason, I rarely have interest in anything and much more.

I really think you should talk to your mother about it and your doctor too. Accutane has never been proven to cause depression, but you'll find more than a few controversial websites that say otherwise. Better to be safe than sorry, if you think it could be the cause of it. Maybe your doctor would be willing to prescribe some antidepressants for you to take in addition to the Accutane, rather than just taking you off of the drug entirely, if that's what you're concerned about. I'm not sure if that's a common thing for them to do or not nowadays with all the negative publicity it's received though.

How could you say that Accutane isnt proven to cause depression? I was at the dermatologist on Monday and he gave me a big booklet about all the effects and everything. There were so many side effects its scary. One key side effect I read about over and over was.... depression.

Accutane is damaging psychologically and hormonally. Its linked to almost all of our main human neuro transmitters, because it uses a large dose of vitamin A to shrink the oil producing glands. It effets key transmitters like Seratonin ect... heres a little picture of what EVERY SINGLE persons brain in this study looked like after a series of studies and research.

IPB Image "A -21% fall in metabolism the orbitofrontal cortex in all human subjects exposed to (Ro)accutane was observed. Brain functioning in adults was measured with [(18)F]fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography before and after 4 months of treatment with isotretinoin (N=13) or an antibiotic (N=15). Isotretinoin but not antibiotic treatment was associated with decreased brain metabolism in the orbitofrontal cortex (-21% change versus 2% change for antibiotic), a brain area known to mediate symptoms of depression."

Vitamin A is huge in so many of our traits, functions, and hormones. Taking Accutane is literally controlled vitamin a poisoning. I know that it works, and I understand how it can heal acne. I have been concidering Accutane, but I love the way my mind works and I love the way I am (minus the acne) so I dont feel like risking messing anything up due to Accutane. After all the research and studying I have done on Accutane, I realized that for me personally, its not the best option. Yes, I would like to have my scarring stop and my acne dissapear, but risking pyshological damage isnt worth it to me. To some people it is worth it, because acne alone is psychologically damaging. Heres a full study on Accutane, its really hard to read because of the big medical terms, but it kind of puts it in perspective how Accutane is really a danger.Accutane Study

I realize this is my first post, and Im sorry for it being a negative one, Im just sharing what I have found about this stuff. I have terrible acne on my back and I almost gave into Accutane, but I have too much going for me right now to go through the effects of this stuff. I dont think its worth it. Again, Im sorry for my first post being negative, but I seriously have a really bad feeling about this stuff and if your feeling suicidal becaue of it, get the hell away from it, please. I have cousins who have taken it and are perfectly fine, so I know that it doesnt effect everyone in a way it potentially could. It just amazes me to hear people say "oh its never been proven that accutane causes depression" when clearly it has. Im just trying to clear up a little ignorance. Just be careful, ask yourself if its really worth it. I dont want to sway anyones opinion, unless you feel Accutane is destroying you, now you can see why. For the people who feel fine, you are part of the majority who dont get any of the effects, but there are a lot of people who suffer the effects of this stuff.

Hey, nothing to be sorry about. I'm not some die-hard pro accutane fanatic nor do I work for Roche :D I like having discussions about it, especially seeing as how I will most likely be starting it soon.

Like you, i've spent months reading up on Accutane. My opinions about it due to what i've found are not quite the same though. Here is a study list I posted about a week ago which contains a summary of just about every study ever done on Accutane relating to depression, listing the 'Bad' first and the 'Good' last.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...topic=81083&hl=

Number one on the list is the study you referenced above. Although it was very interesting and probably the most telling of all, it was also not entirely conclusive... because even though there were changes present in the brains of all individuals in the study, none showed any increase in depression. I believe there is also some controversy about that particular area of the brain 'being known to mediate depression' as the study suggested.

Study #6 which was just recently done shows that around 4.5% more soldiers on Accutane compared to a psoriasis group used mental health services over a 5 year period. This is probably the most interesting study after the first for the case against Accutane, but there were still some flaws. It was not a controlled study, but rather an analysis of a database. There are a lot of 'variables' not accounted for. But mainly, the exact same kind of analysis had already been done on a separate database of slightly larger size, re: Study #2 on the 'Good' list, and no increase of depression was present at all. Hmm :think:

Study #3 on the Against Accutane list shows a rate of 4% depression in the study participants. While at a glance, it may appear that this is supporting the case against Accutane, upon further investigation, I found that the actual incidence of depression amongst -normal- people in this age group is between 5-10%. Depression in the accutane group was actually much less than in the normal population.

Study #4 shows psychosis in soldiers treated with Accutane, but it was an average of 7.5 months after being treated with it. I believe most people reporting depression associated with Accutane is while they are actually taking Accutane rather than months later. Also to note is that: "Either a personal history of obsessive-compulsive disorder, neurological insult or family history of a major psychiatric illness were present in all 5 cases." On top of that, 5 out of 500 soldiers only represents a rate of 1%. No real convincing evidence to suggest Accutane was the culprit.

Study #2,5,7 all relate to behavior in mice given Accutane. Although all three showed 'depression related behavior' as they put it in the mice, there's obviously some speculation of what that actually means for humans.

Below those in the link I provided are the many different studies that have been done supporting the idea that Accutane does not cause an increase in depression. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence there in favor of Accutane.

Does Accutane cause depression in some people? It's always a possibility, even though the evidence does not support it. Obviously, in the hopes that i'll be able to take the drug to cure my acne, I hope that it does not. But I do think people should be monitored by their relatives/doctors if they do become depressed on it, and possibly discontinue its use after consulting the derm. But I also believe that many people also blame Accutane for things that it had no part in though. You wouldn't believe some of the things i've seen people say it's "made them do" on anti-Accutane websites, and i'm not talking about depression or suicidal thoughts here. It's as if some people use Accutane as the catchall for all of their own personal faults so that they don't have to take responsibility for their actions. :hand:

Hey, nothing to be sorry about. I'm not some die-hard pro accutane fanatic nor do I work for Roche :D I like having discussions about it, especially seeing as how I will most likely be starting it soon.

Like you, i've spent months reading up on Accutane. My opinions about it due to what i've found are not quite the same though. Here is a study list I posted about a week ago which contains a summary of just about every study ever done on Accutane relating to depression, listing the 'Bad' first and the 'Good' last.

Number one on the list is the study you referenced above. Although it was very interesting and probably the most telling of all, it was also not entirely conclusive... because even though there were changes present in the brains of all individuals in the study, none showed any increase in depression. I believe there is also some controversy about that particular area of the brain 'being known to mediate depression' as the study suggested.

Study #6 which was just recently done shows that around 4.5% more soldiers on Accutane compared to a psoriasis group used mental health services over a 5 year period. This is probably the most interesting study after the first for the case against Accutane, but there were still some flaws. It was not a controlled study, but rather an analysis of a database. There are a lot of 'variables' not accounted for. But mainly, the exact same kind of analysis had already been done on a separate database of slightly larger size, re: Study #2 on the 'Good' list, and no increase of depression was present at all. Hmm :think:

Study #3 on the Against Accutane list shows a rate of 4% depression in the study participants. While at a glance, it may appear that this is supporting the case against Accutane, upon further investigation, I found that the actual incidence of depression amongst -normal- people in this age group is between 5-10%. Depression in the accutane group was actually much less than in the normal population.

Study #4 shows psychosis in soldiers treated with Accutane, but it was an average of 7.5 months after being treated with it. I believe most people reporting depression associated with Accutane is while they are actually taking Accutane rather than months later. Also to note is that: "Either a personal history of obsessive-compulsive disorder, neurological insult or family history of a major psychiatric illness were present in all 5 cases." On top of that, 5 out of 500 soldiers only represents a rate of 1%. No real convincing evidence to suggest Accutane was the culprit.

Study #2,5,7 all relate to behavior in mice given Accutane. Although all three showed 'depression related behavior' as they put it in the mice, there's obviously some speculation of what that actually means for humans.

Below those in the link I provided are the many different studies that have been done supporting the idea that Accutane does not cause an increase in depression. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence there in favor of Accutane.

Does Accutane cause depression in some people? It's always a possibility, even though the evidence does not support it. Obviously, in the hopes that i'll be able to take the drug to cure my acne, I hope that it does not. But I do think people should be monitored by their relatives/doctors if they do become depressed on it, and possibly discontinue its use after consulting the derm. But I also believe that many people also blame Accutane for things that it had no part in though. You wouldn't believe some of the things i've seen people say it's "made them do" on anti-Accutane websites, and i'm not talking about depression or suicidal thoughts here. It's as if some people use Accutane as the catchall for all of their own personal faults so that they don't have to take responsibility for their actions. :hand:

You make some very intersting points. I know that Accutane cant be that dangerous since it has handed out so widely to treat acne. I know that its possible for these side effects to occur and thats enough for me to say... hmm Ill try something else first. I would rather smear on topical cream everyday and night rather than take a pill that makes my vision worse while on the drug, makes my skin dry as hell, makes my lips crack and peel and makes me worry about side effects. To me, worrying about the side effects is more stressful than the acne itself, thats why I dont feel Accutane is for me. I do know that most people are willing to give it a try as a last option, or in some cases it sounds so wonderful, even people with moderate acne give in to it right away.

My back is starting to really get to me since summer is only 5 or so months away and I dont feel like having acne all over my back. My back is the only thing that is driving me towards Accutane as a solution, but I think Im going to try other routes first, maybe some B5 or the Clear Skin Regimine that this site has to offer. Im going to go through trail and error before I jump to Accutane. I have though tried a lot of things. From Pro Activ, to Differin, to Benzaclin, to Amoxicillin, to the Clearlight and the Obagi Nu-Derm system. So far its keeping it under control, but its not going away. Im going to go a little more extreme, and say Im not clear by summer, I might concider Accutane once summer passes. We'll see how I feel, I just know that it scares me hearing about people feeling deperessed and suicidal and thinking it might be from the Tane, no one in my family has history of any depression, Im more worried about joint inflamation, bad eye sight, sore muscles, lack of motivation ect... I appriciate your response and respect you for not taking it personally. Im glad you posted that actually, it gives me a more open mind about Accutane.

I don't need to read a bunch of studies and statistics to know that accutane effected me psychologically. I'm my normal self and then I started accutane. All of a sudden I start having extreme anxiety. My heart beat increased dramatically, my face would go bright red if I talked to anyone(even people I was usually comfortable talking to), would get bad shakes, sweaty palms, etc, etc. I've never in my life had any anxiety problems before starting accutane. Never, not once. I don't just see it as a coincidence that it happened when I started accutane. I don't appreciate when people just brush off what I say because it might somewhat portray accutane in a negative light, especially someone who hasn't even taken the drug. Am I saying that everyone who takes accutane will suffer from depression, anxiety or some other horrible problem? No, not at all. Obviously that doesn't happen, considering how many people have gone through their courses perfectly fine. And I did stick with it, for 4 months of the 5 I was scheduled. My back is clear now which I'm happy about, but I wasn't expecting to trade acne for anxiety. So for anyone who is planning to take accutane, by all means do it. It completely cleared my skin. But tell your family/close friends/somebody to keep an eye on you to see if you start behaving any differently. My doctor made sure to tell me that before I started, and I think all doctors should.

Well in my opinion I am far more likely to jump off that bridge because of crap skin than I am because of accutane.

Actually, the psychical side effects are one of the reasons why I want to try accutane. You know, test myself. I don't want to suffer from physical side effects tho.

You make some very intersting points. I know that Accutane cant be that dangerous since it has handed out so widely to treat acne. I know that its possible for these side effects to occur and thats enough for me to say... hmm Ill try something else first. I would rather smear on topical cream everyday and night rather than take a pill that makes my vision worse while on the drug, makes my skin dry as hell, makes my lips crack and peel and makes me worry about side effects. To me, worrying about the side effects is more stressful than the acne itself, thats why I dont feel Accutane is for me. I do know that most people are willing to give it a try as a last option, or in some cases it sounds so wonderful, even people with moderate acne give in to it right away

The rare physical side effects of Accutane are what have worried me the most - there's no controversy about whether or not those exist. From all of the studies done on it that i've read, i'm quite certain that if Accutane does play some role in causing psychological problems in some people, it is only in a miniscule percentage of the population, and likely even rarer than the rare physical side effects of the drug are. I don't think it will ever be proven without a doubt that Accutane does not cause psychological problems in some people. It would take an enormous study size to detect the incidence of it in such a small fraction of the people who have taken it, and it's unlikely that a study of such magnitude would ever be done on it.

But having rare physical side effects is a risk that is taken with any drug. Even the oral antibiotics for acne like Minocycline and Doxycycline which are handed out like candy have some horrific, although rare, side effects: Liver damage and failure, accumulation of fluid around the brain, anaphylactic shock, etc. One just has to hope and pray that they are not one of the unlucky few that have these complications from taking these drugs. I guess that's my position on Accutane too.

You make some very intersting points. I know that Accutane cant be that dangerous since it has handed out so widely to treat acne. I know that its possible for these side effects to occur and thats enough for me to say... hmm Ill try something else first. I would rather smear on topical cream everyday and night rather than take a pill that makes my vision worse while on the drug, makes my skin dry as hell, makes my lips crack and peel and makes me worry about side effects. To me, worrying about the side effects is more stressful than the acne itself, thats why I dont feel Accutane is for me. I do know that most people are willing to give it a try as a last option, or in some cases it sounds so wonderful, even people with moderate acne give in to it right away.

My back is starting to really get to me since summer is only 5 or so months away and I dont feel like having acne all over my back. My back is the only thing that is driving me towards Accutane as a solution, but I think Im going to try other routes first, maybe some B5 or the Clear Skin Regimine that this site has to offer. Im going to go through trail and error before I jump to Accutane. I have though tried a lot of things. From Pro Activ, to Differin, to Benzaclin, to Amoxicillin, to the Clearlight and the Obagi Nu-Derm system. So far its keeping it under control, but its not going away. Im going to go a little more extreme, and say Im not clear by summer, I might concider Accutane once summer passes. We'll see how I feel, I just know that it scares me hearing about people feeling deperessed and suicidal and thinking it might be from the Tane, no one in my family has history of any depression, Im more worried about joint inflamation, bad eye sight, sore muscles, lack of motivation ect... I appriciate your response and respect you for not taking it personally. Im glad you posted that actually, it gives me a more open mind about Accutane.

FIRST OF ALL THAT B5 CRAP IS JUST AS BAD AS ACCUTANE ITS NOT HEALTHY TO BE TAKING MEGA DOSES OF THAT CRAP AND SECOND OF ALL IF USED THE CORRECT WAY ACCUTANE MAY NOT BE HARMFUL, BUT A LOT OF THINGS OUT THERE ARE A LOAD OF CRAP AND ACCUTANE ACTUALLY WORKS