Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fromchicago

My Smoothbeam Treatments!

I don't think it's a good idea to mix Accutane and Smoothbeam treatments. I never intend to go back to Accutane and stiuck stickly with the SmoothBeam. I have been told that they usually recommend 4-treatments every 6 months. And they typically that two rounds of 4-treatments of smooth beam would do the tirck in 80-90% of the time.

I realize that it's never going to be completely gone, that's clear from all the posts I have read on everyone experience but I feel if I can really reduce the scaring and eliminate the active acne and rednedd associated with it I will be content with that.

I had been on Differin in the PM and Azelex in the AM, but that was a permanent regimen that I would have to do for the rest of my life, and it was getting expensive because after 30 my insurance would not pay for it because it was considered "cosmetic". And even with the topical treatments there was always a low grade redness on my back sad.gif

I am also staying out of the sun but I will do the Vitimin C and the Zinc to help with the healing. They told me not to put ANY other medication on my skin.

I was told not to touch my back with my hands because of bacteria and not to scratch/touch my back at all. I've been noticing I have been doing that today but trying not to scratch the itch. smile.gif

I have been told that the SmoothBeam is designed for active acne, and that the scaring repair was a secondary benefit to the treatment. I figured two good things for the price of one was a good thing.

I am paying $2000.00 for 4 treatments. She did over 1200 zaps at level 11+12 She even did go over really infected areas twice, and was very very considerate and friendly to it. She even warned me when she was going to zap an active one before she did it. Which I am grateful for.

I just got a really great feeling about this!! Thanks to you guys I really feel life is about to get better. I think ANY improvement from here is great and altough all of us was to look perfectly clear, who knows, eventually with enough collegen growth it could happen.

biggrin.gif

Scorpious, do you take Vitiman C and Zinc orally? I have heard some cases of people using Zinc topically (eg. Like Using Head & Shoulders shampoo).

Also, has anyone had this done or heard about Smoothbeam being done on back/shoulders??

If so, do you think it would cost more?

Thanks guys!

johnfinkle - Yes I have, on the smooth beam web site they even show you pictures of before an after of the back and sholders. They results are great! That's why I decided to actually go through the treatment.

As for the Vitimin C and Zinc, I am taking them orally. So far I have noticed a reduction of redness but it's still persistent. I am extremely hopeful.

My entire back is being done, including sholder facing the back. Its about $500 a treatment. If it wasnt for the scientic study and research I have read and seen I wouldn't of done it. I am really condifent it will work. But I only had my first one, I have three left to go, I will make a new post after my 2nd treatment. I am told I will actually see signifagant results after the 2nd treatment, so I should have some good stuff to report.

Hi,

Do you'll know of any sunscreen loation that wont clog pores or break out?

I just had smoothbeam and need to use a spf 20 or higher sunscreen.

Thanks.

Any of you smoothbeamers also doing TCA CROSS? If so, how soon can you do smoothbeam after the Cross procedure?

hols

Hi all,

Just wanted to update this thread on the progress of my wife and her smoothbeam treatments. She had her third treatment last week, and unfortunately, we can't report good progress. He active acne is worse than ever. The doctor actually put her on antibiotic again to control it. Scars don't seem to be fading yet either. He proposed six treatments because of her severity as opposed to most peope I think are recommending 4. We're getting discouraged. I don't know if we should abort this or not. I told her we should go to 4 treatments and then re-evaluate it. What do y'all think? If you have any encouraging words, we'd appreciate it.

Take care. Randy.

Hey y'all,

My name is Colin, and I am from Vancouver, Canada. I have just started my Smoothbeam treatments...2 so far. I have been lurking here for a few months, reading everybody's results, and finally made up my mind to go through with it.

Here's my history: I am 29 years old. I had a nasty outbeak of acne when I was 19, and went through tetracycline and a few other antibiotics. They did help a bit, but I was still breaking out, so I asked my doctor to put me on Accutane. Well, Accutane did work. I was on Accutane for several months and I finally did get rid of all my acne....for good! It was tough, but I did it! But, the drug did leave me with significant scarring. I consulted my dermatologist, and he told me that there was nothing that could be done for up to a year after finishing Accutane. So, I waited patiently.

After a year lapsed (already 1996), I consulted my dermatologist again, and he suggested that I do CO2 laser. He gave me very little information....he just said that it is the best treatment for scarring...and he would give me a good deal. I paid only $500 for both of my cheeks. It worked great for the scarring, but I was red for up to a few YEARS after. The pain was incredible, and the swelling, oozing and INTENSE REDNESS was insane. It also left me with a bit of hypopigmentation. I am not sure if I would recommend it to anyone or not....but I will say that I got over 50% improvement in scarring correction. I think it also worked somewhat like subcision, as it vaporized a lot of the scar tissue. But still, CO2 laser is not for the faint of heart!

After CO2, I really didn't want to do much to help my skin. I was literally afraid! But at the end of 2002, I started another form of treatment: Cooltouch and microdermabrasion. I did them both alternately every two weeks. I did four treatments in total. My dermatologist told me that I got approximately 30% improvement. Well, that isn't so bad for just 4 treatments of each. But I paid over $2,000 in total...so it wasn't cheap!!

After Cooltouch, I held out again for a year. I didn't want to do anything with my skin. I used Cellex-C and Alpha Lipoic Acid to help the healing. I am not quite sure if they did anything or not. Afer reading the boards, I decided to go for my first Smoothbeam treatment in February. It felt a lot like Cooltouch. I knew not to expect anything after just one treatment as I have already had Cooltouch done. Nothing tends to happen until the 3rd treatment or so......at least for me. I just had my 2nd Smoothbeam treatment in the middle of March. She did it on setting #12. (My first treatment was on setting #10 or 11 I think). I had approximately 400 zaps on my 2nd treatment, and about 150 on my first.

I am not sure if my skin has changed a lot or not yet. But then again, I am not expecting it to.....not for a month or so anyway. I am paying around $300 per treatment, and I am having my full face done. My doctor also said that for an extra $50 she (different doctor from the CO2)would throw in V-beam along with the Smoothbeam. I am not sure if I want to do this....I might consider it for my 3rd treatment. After reading some of the posts here, it is starting to sound like a good idea to have them both done. But, I am just not sure if I am ready to look all purple...even if it means better results. I will have to think about it.

I have noticed that my face is getting tighter and I think I have a better complexion in general. I have soft rolling scars on my cheeks, very small, shallow indentations (not icepick) and a chicken pox scar on my forehead that bugs me. My scarring is realy quite shallow now after the past treatments that I have had. I am hoping that 8 or so Smoothbeam treatments will improve it that much more...to almost look normal again. I have had really no problems with Smoothbeam thus far. My first treatment just made me red for a few hours. My 2nd treatment did make me break out in some blisters for a few days. They are pretty much gone now, but those areas are still red even now. I expect they will be gone soon too. I also had a bit of swelling after my 2nd treatment.

Anyway, I am continuing to use Cellex-C every morning and Tazorac (.05%) and Alpha Lipoic Acid every night before bed. I am peeling a bit..and my skin is a bit irritated...but not that bad really.

I will keep you all posted as to my results. If you all have any questions....just let me know.

Also, if anyone has any experience...any experience or news at all.... with Thermage and ReLume, would you care to share? I am thinking of having Thermage done for scarring....that is...if I hear some good things about it. Also, I want to fix my hypopigmentation a bit. I have heard that ReLume does work, but do you have to keep on doing maintenance treatments? Or, do you keep for good what you gain from the repigmentation?

Talk to y'all later...and I will update any progress.

Randyr

She had her third treatment last week, and unfortunately, we can't report good progress. He active acne is worse than ever. The doctor actually put her on antibiotic again to control it. Scars don't seem to be fading yet either. He proposed six treatments because of her severity as opposed to most peope I think are recommending 4. We're getting discouraged
Guest ObiWontonKenoli

Hi guys,

Just an update- I just finished my 5th smoothbeam today at setting 13-14 1/2.

I think I'll stop right here for now and want to enjoy NOT spending 250/mth for a little while.

I want to move to a cheaper alternative from weekly lactic peels to TCA...

Tracy/Maya, etc....can you recommend a good home TCA peel for me? I want to start low.

I'm waiting for some lactic peel from Nancy in the meantime.

Thanks

Obi

Thanx MaryTheres,

I think I will have the V-beam done on my next treatment of Smoothbeam. Hopefully it works! I read some articles on the net about V-beam, and it is supposed to work well after a few treatments. We'll see!

Some of you have complained that you broke out after Smoothbeam. I did a little bit too...got like 3 or 4 zits..and I haven't broken out really in years! I guess it is just part of the healing process...

I just hope this V-beam/Smoothbeam combo works! I am tired of wasting money on treatments....money that I really don't have. Hopefully I will be satisfied after 8 or so treatments of Smoothbeam/V-beam.

I guess most of the people who were posting here before are gone. That's too bad because I would have liked to have heard about their on-going results! Oh well...I guess I will be here to help the people just starting Smoothbeam..or just considering it.

Thanx again MaryTheres.

I have just had my sixth SmoothBeam treatment for moderate acne, and still haven't seen great results. I found out at my last treatment about the "levels" at which the technician zaps my face. Apparently, she started at "11" and increased by half a level every visit.

After my last visit, which was at level 13.5, I actually feel that something about my skin is different, and since the people with the best results seem to be having treatments at 14, I'm optimistic that the higher level will finally return some possitive results.

Another thing that I wanted to mention, and this is probably why the laser techinician went so dilligently with my skin, is that my skin and VERY fair and VERY sensitive. Usually, after a treatment, the area where she has zapped my cheeks is red and dry. I'm often left with a "honeycomb" effect on my cheeks, which reveals the shape of the laser over and over again on my skin. After about a week, these marks go away and my skin returns to its regular texture.

My techinician in Massachusetts has been very positive and will continue to treat me at a reduced rate for as I long as I need more treatments since I will be exceeding the typical 4-6 treatments.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for positive results and will keep the message board informed of my progress.

Hey everyone,

I've finally read this entire post (after 4 hours - sheesh) and decided that I want to do Smoothbeam on my scars. I have several rolling scars on my cheeks & temples that I'd like to work on and most of the pass the stretch test.

Soooo....does anyone know of any docs in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that do Smoothbeam (besides the 3 listed on the smoothbeam website)?

Thanks! biggrin.gif

Guest niko

Look up local Health/Medical/Day spas in the yellow pages, call around, you might find a tech who does it for much cheaper than a doc, how i find it for 100 bucks a pop

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

sun spots- try hydroquinone first...that might help

by the way....one of my co-workers who hasn't seen me in about a couple weeks came by...she's like "did you just have another treatment? Cause your face looks smooth especially the cheeks area"

biggrin.gif/ biggrin.gif/

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I work in an office environment, pretty sheltered from sun and stuff.

Although I go out 15 mins a day for a walk during lunch

Hello everyone.

I am going to have my 3rd smoothbeam in a couple of days. I have been on settings 11 up to 13 and going higher every time. The asthetician is very considerate and knows I am sensitive bc after I take off the goggles I will have tears in my eyes from the zaps of the treatment so she asked if I could take valiums from my physician to relax me more during the treatment. I can't wait. I am starting to see some improvement already.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

sunblock-

get elamax cream from your nearest Walgreen...apply like crazy to your face (remember the most sensitive area and smother that are like crazy with your cream).

do this 1/2 hour-1 hour before the treatment in addition to your numbing creme. Your smootbeam will still sting but it'll be more bearable.

randyr, you should ABSOLUTELY go through the entire course, at least the 4 thats recommended. You won't see any results until you go through the entire process. SmoothBeam *is* intended to treat active acne and the study's done that gave them FDA approval are extremely encouraging.

You need to stay commited to the treatments. Best of luck!! And let us know what you do decide. We all want the same thing to be free from this crap.

Hi all,

Just wanted to update this thread on the progress of my wife and her smoothbeam treatments.  She had her third treatment last week, and unfortunately, we can't report good progress.  He active acne is worse than ever.  The doctor actually put her on antibiotic again to control it.  Scars don't seem to be fading yet either.  He proposed six treatments because of her severity as opposed to most peope I think are recommending 4.  We're getting discouraged.  I don't know if we should abort this or not.  I told her we should go to 4 treatments and then re-evaluate it.  What do y'all think?  If you have any encouraging words, we'd appreciate it.

Take care.  Randy.

Miladycarol: I live in the Fort Worth area (Granbury) please let me know if you find a good price on a Smoothbeam course in the Fort Worth area, I would really appreciate it!