Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PimplesAndWrinkles

Triglycerides and Accutane

When I started Accutane, my triglycerides were 27. After two weeks on 40 mg, they were 47. Today, after four weeks and 80 mg for the past two, they were 104. My dosage will remain the same for the next month. Can I expect my triglycerides to level off, or do they keep rising if your dose remains the same?

Also, what level have people been told is unacceptable?

Thanks!

Well, in my case, everything went down after I started 'tane, most likely because I quit drinking and all that stuff. In fact, last time I went in (last Wed), my LDL was only 25, which is ridiculously low.

Here's what I do. Obviously, I don't know for sure if this is the reason why my bloodwork comes back awesome each time, but it surely can't hurt:

Eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast (gets boring, but if you want your dosage increased, it'll be worth it in the end).

Take an Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice a day with a meal.

One zinc tab with breakfast

One vit E tab with breakfast

One biotin tab with breakfast

One Ortho-Tri-Cyclen (birth control pill) with breakfast

I think trying to put more whole grain in your diet and cutting out bad fats should help. Also, look into consuming more olive oil or salad dressings. Those also help with the heart and cholesterol, I think.

Good luck!

The trigylcerides can continue to rise, yes. But your levels are nowhere near the danger zone so i wouldn't worry about it. They will go back to normal when you finish your course. And triglycerides are not cholesterol (which LDL is). Cholesterol can also rise from Accutane, but not as dramatically.

If you weren't on Accutane, high triglycerides would represent an excess of calories (from any source) in the diet, and/or alcohol consumed within 72 hours of the bloodtest. Alcohol causes a big temporary spike in triglycerides. To lower them with diet you need to ingest less calories - but if it's Accutane that's raising them that won't help. Exercise would be your best bet but may have minimal impact. If your levels get too high your doctor may add a lipid controlling drug like a statin to the equation until you finish your course.

The trigylcerides can continue to rise, yes. But your levels are nowhere near the danger zone so i wouldn't worry about it. They will go back to normal when you finish your course. And triglycerides are not cholesterol (which LDL is). Cholesterol can also rise from Accutane, but not as dramatically.

If you weren't on Accutane, high triglycerides would represent an excess of calories (from any source) in the diet, and/or alcohol consumed within 72 hours of the bloodtest. Alcohol causes a big temporary spike in triglycerides. To lower them with diet you need to ingest less calories - but if it's Accutane that's raising them that won't help. Exercise would be your best bet but may have minimal impact. If your levels get too high your doctor may add a lipid controlling drug like a statin to the equation until you finish your course.

I don't drink alchohol and I exercise a lot already. My diet is pretty good, lots of whole grains, veggies, and not much refined food or sugar. I could always improve it, though!

What is the danger of having high triglycerides for a few months while on Accutane, anyway?

Thanks for the advice!

Hypertriglyceridemia can cause pancreatis which can be fatal. The main reason for the lipid tests is to ensure that doesn't happen. But as i said, you are nowhere near the danger zone and aren't doing anything to make it worse, so i wouldn't worry about it. Other than starting a statin i don't think you could do anymore than you are already doing to reduce them and they aren't that bad.

Hypertriglyceridemia can cause pancreatis which can be fatal. The main reason for the lipid tests is to ensure that doesn't happen. But as i said, you are nowhere near the danger zone and aren't doing anything to make it worse, so i wouldn't worry about it. Other than starting a statin i don't think you could do anymore than you are already doing to reduce them and they aren't that bad.

I know they are in a safe range now, but the rate of increase has me a little worried. If the rate of increase continues, in a month I'll be at 400. However, since my dose won't be increasing as it has in the past four weeks, I'm hoping the rate of increase will slow down.

I'm making such GOOD progress after only a month, it would be a shame to have to stop!

But thanks for the advice. I won't worry about it and we'll see what things look like in a month!

I doubt your levels will get that high, since you have a healthy lifestyle. They will probably level out, probably a bit higher than now, and may fluctate a bit up and down over the months.

And my derm at least said if mine got too high that she'd put me on a lipid drug to finish the course rather than pulling it entirely. So don't freak. :cool:

For supplements you can try garlic pills, red rice yeast extract and lecithin all available from the health food store. They can often lower the trigylcerides by 40 points or more along with your diet and exercise routine. Good luck! And don't worry (stress also raises cholesterol), your levels are good and with monthly blood tests you'll be able to catch any dangerous rise in levels and take a statin drug for a short time if necessary.

For supplements you can try garlic pills, red rice yeast extract and lecithin all available from the health food store. They can often lower the trigylcerides by 40 points or more along with your diet and exercise routine. Good luck! And don't worry (stress also raises cholesterol), your levels are good and with monthly blood tests you'll be able to catch any dangerous rise in levels and take a statin drug for a short time if necessary.

Thank you! I was a little stressed after seeing the derm because I've made such good progress and it's a shame to think I'd have to stop the Accutane. However, she must not be too concerned because she doesn't want to see me for another month. She told me that even with my rise from 27 to 104 that I'm still at a level where many people start out.

So, I'll take a few deep breaths (and maybe some garlic pills) and relax!

Your welcome! Stressing out alone can break you out. Your levels are so good there is no need to worry (your derm certainly isn't). I read something by a derm that he draws the line and will stop accutane if trigylcerides reach levels of 250 to 300 and you are a long way from that! The supplements really work well too because I use them and mine went down. Glad to hear you are making good progress on the accutane.

Your welcome! Stressing out alone can break you out. Your levels are so good there is no need to worry (your derm certainly isn't). I read something by a derm that he draws the line and will stop accutane if trigylcerides reach levels of 250 to 300 and you are a long way from that! The supplements really work well too because I use them and mine went down. Glad to hear you are making good progress on the accutane.

Thank you maggie! I'll make sure I don't stress out about this and may try a few supplements.

Wow I don't know about all these stats and whats is a NORMAL level,but after 2 months on accutane my tri's were close to 400 and so was my cholesterol,after he got the results he told me if the next blood test they are not lower he will yank me off of it (I was 19 at the time). I got alittle too carried away i ate triple cheeseburgers from mcdonalds and everything at that time I was very young and gaining weight was impossible and no matter what I ate i couldn't break 150 pounds (Being 6'1). I saw a big increase because of this thats all I ate was fast food... after being told this I went on a strict diet because I wanted clear skin so badly... I ate oatmeal in the morning boiled chicken .. all healthy things,NO fattening foods next month got results he was amazed both dropped from close to 400 to the low 70's tri's and cholesterol he saw I lost some weight he told me to "balance" out my diet and eat some fast food but eat healthy also... I did as he instructed and never worried about tri's or cholesterol again.. I did not want to be yanked off and I can tell you it's worth it to stay on no matter what diet you need to go on (thin or over weight).

Best of luck,

Rich

Wow I don't know about all these stats and whats is a NORMAL level,but after 2 months on accutane my tri's were close to 400 and so was my cholesterol,after he got the results he told me if the next blood test they are not lower he will yank me off of it (I was 19 at the time). I got alittle too carried away i ate triple cheeseburgers from mcdonalds and everything at that time I was very young and gaining weight was impossible and no matter what I ate i couldn't break 150 pounds (Being 6'1). I saw a big increase because of this thats all I ate was fast food... after being told this I went on a strict diet because I wanted clear skin so badly... I ate oatmeal in the morning boiled chicken .. all healthy things,NO fattening foods next month got results he was amazed both dropped from close to 400 to the low 70's tri's and cholesterol he saw I lost some weight he told me to "balance" out my diet and eat some fast food but eat healthy also... I did as he instructed and never worried about tri's or cholesterol again.. I did not want to be yanked off and I can tell you it's worth it to stay on no matter what diet you need to go on (thin or over weight).

Best of luck,

Rich

Thanks Rich,

I didn't know someone could see such dramatic results with dietary changes. My diet is already pretty healthy, so I can make some minor adjustments. I'm glad you had the discipline to make that adjustment. How did the Accutane work for you?