Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CLouds

How running saves my face...(i love running)

ok ok, this is going to be a long post but i just want to explain how i am curing my acne.

First off Ive been viewing this message board for the past month and wasnt able to register for some reason but i finally got an account.

So Im 18, 19 in Feb. I graduated high school this past june, Ive probably had acne since i was 15 or so but it was always very mild i would be perfectly clear many times and break out with a zit on the cheek or forehead or nose occasionally. But never enough thats i even thought abour acne. I ran cross country and did distance track for my last 3 years of high school. So basically i was running 40-60 miles a week from late june to late november. and from early January to early May. So practically all year. But then i graduated high school and didnt do cross country in college. Thats when my acne exploded to hell. I remember it started in August my forehead got full of cysts, pustules, lesions, and what not it kept getting worse til then my cheeks exploded and my chin. and acne acne everywhere, my acne was prolly at ts overall peak in november i seriously wanted to commit suicide, i dropped outta college, quit work, and started hibernating in my room, i was looking online for all this shit that didnt work, 3 day apple fast, some crazy miracle acne cure that required goat milk and liek 1000 vitamins, acuzine, derme cleanse, nuthin was workin. i went to a dermatologist in late Oct and he immediately told me Accutane!!! he didnt even let me speak so i just left and said fuck that, because i only had acne for like 2 months and for a 5 month treatment to cure it just didnt make sense. So basically i just thought and made the idea that make acne coincidentally started at the time of the year where i would usually be running, I just knew there had to be some connection, so i looked online over and over and found that distance runners, endurance trainers etc., have about 40% lower testosterone levels than average men. I also discovered that the hormone (testosterone) is responsible for how much sebum(oil) ur skin produces, the higher ur testosterone the more oil. I also thought about how my cross country teamates had no acne, i mean it was too much of a coincidence, i mean a couple had acne but mild, most were completely clear, I also thought about how a lot of football players had acne, some had terrible even the worst acne id seen, (Since heavy lifting with low reps increases testosterone). So anyways i started running on Dec 21, just with 2 miles a day, right now im at 6 miles a day, AND my acne has improved dramatically, ive ran everyday since then. Now im just looking for a way to get rid of these redmarks. Well thats my story, I wish i had taken pics to show my improvement. I also remembered that i would always have my worse breakouts during the offseason, Because last year I kinda felt uncomfortable goin to the Sadies Dance (in DEC) because i broke out with like zits on the cheek and forehead, this couldnt have been a coincidence.

And it would also be helpful if for u ppl who r still in highschool to tell me if uve also noticed that football players have worse acne than cross country runners, i just want to make sure its not a coincidence.

And you can look up a lot of this stuff online theres plenty of scientific facts to back it up.

Very interesting! I would love to run that much but I just cant do it ( i mean i could but its so hard). I really want to start running alot so I sweat a ton and this post just may make me do it :D

Thanks for a post that finally is recommending working out instead of posts recommending staying away. I know everyone is different but I'd much rather read a post about how someone benefited from exercise rather than someone not. I really like working out so this is a plus for me...I just have to build up my endurance.

Keep us posted on your results :dance:

Hi I'd like to start off saying I run cross country too and i just realized that during the seaon i don't really get much breakouts if any at all, i'm considered "mild" in the acne catagory, but then again I wouldn't have noticed because after practice i just shower and sleep so I don't have time to notice my face. And maybe you're right about the fact that running helps with the testosterone level i should try doing my running routines again. Good Luck with your way to acne recovery :)

I am 100% convinced that this is working, I can literally feel my nodules like getting sucked in and dissapearing, but anyways its mainly because my acne is hormonal, I tried all this health eating stuff, vitamins, facial cleansers, and what not and nothing helped, this is the only thing that has helped. SO my advice to neyone out there who is convinced that diet does not affect their acne is to find their way of controlling their hormones. TESTOSTERONE is major factor in regulating the amount of sebum(oil) ur skin produces. The higher the testosterone the more oil. That is way many people claim to breakout after working out, because lifting heavy weight with low reps, (the type that gets u big) raises ur testosterone. WHile doing endurance training low weight, high reps, or running distance (Cross Country) lowers ur testosterone

Basically I was determined to understand y my acne had erupted the way it had, then I saw lots of info on the web, these 2 webpages basically nailed it for and I began running right away.

http://www.muscletech.com/RESEARCH/RNR/RNR...d_Reviews.shtml

http://www.thetransitionalmale.com/Acne.html

i also like to not that I am not using anything on my skin for acne, only the eggwhite/lemon mask to get rid of my nasty redmarks...

Wow! I'm so glad you posted this. My doctor told me that my acne was hormonal. I've lifted weights since my freshman year in high school, and wrestled year round. I'm a pretty big guy..or at least I was till the end of summer when I STOPPED lifting weights. I was lifting an hour a day then doing cardio and abs for 30 more minutes. Then I just stopped...and all of a sudden my acne just exploded. I mean just got so bad that now my sophomore year in college I took this semester off because I couldn't stand for anybody to see me. I started lifting weights again last week, and I figured it was the medicine making it better, but after reading this and realizing that I haven't got a zit since getting back into lifting..it makes perfect sense.

Very interesting, imok. I ran cross country for 3 years in high school (graduated in 2003), and that's when my acne was at its worst. I guess that means that my acne was due to some other reason, not the testosterone level. I still believe that sweating is healthy and that aerobic exercise should be done daily (though I don't do that right now because I'm lazy). My acne could have been really bad during those 3 years of high school because I had just hit puberty (didn't get my period til 16 and real boobs til 18). So it's possible that running would help my face a lot. I just ran yesterday for the first time in a couple of months, and I made a routine where I run at least 4 times a week. I also do gymnastics twice a week which is aerobic. Hopefully this new regimen will reduce my testosterone level and improve my skin, like it has for you! Oh, and I'm trying to drink more water because I've heard a ton of good things about drinking lots of water. It's the best thing you can do for your face I think.

I used to skate a lot for about 5 years up until last August really. Now that I think about it, my acne really was never too bad until September on, but there's other variables on way that could have happened. But when I was skating, I did it as transportation as well fun, so I'd sweat a lot and it was for sure a lot more strenuous then a bike ride. Too bad it's winter and it's too wet to go out and skate...

But where did you find that statistic that runners have 40 percent lower testosterone? I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Another thing I've noticed is a few off season cross country runners at my school are acne free during the season and then break out after the end too...

This thread is almost inspiration to go out and do some cardio.

this is good news, i have just started running to lose a bit of the fat around my muscles (hopin to get a chiselled rig goin :) ), if it helps my skin that'd be sweet action.