Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
a529612

Coffee ultimate acne magnet?

I really think coffee makes my acne a lot worse. I used to drink coffee every day, 2-3 cups a day. I NEEDED it to be alert and awake. Well, I stopped and my skin started getting better. About a month ago, I went to New Orleans with a friend and he kept buying me coffee. A week later, my skin looked prettyy bad. It sucks, I love coffee so much!

I havnt read the full thread so this might have been said already....

But I think there is a good chance that anything containing caffeine may aggrivate acne, it is a stimulant, and stimulants can cause the skin to produce more sebum than it actually needs.

(just ask anyone who has used ephedrine)

O,k caffeine is a considerably milder stimulant than ephedrine, but its still a stimulant.

I used to drink LOADS of black coffee (no milk, no sugar.) Most people add milk and sugar or creamer to theirs and then wonder why they break out.

Honestly it made no difference for me. It didn't help or worsen my acne.

I really think coffee makes my acne a lot worse. I used to drink coffee every day, 2-3 cups a day. I NEEDED it to be alert and awake. Well, I stopped and my skin started getting better. About a month ago, I went to New Orleans with a friend and he kept buying me coffee. A week later, my skin looked prettyy bad. It sucks, I love coffee so much!

Did you add anything to the coffee? Milk? Sugar? Artificial sweetner? Cream?

I don't drink coffee. If I drink it, it will make my face feel 100% the same than if I don't sleep for a whole night (oily, heavy, enlarged pores, and breakout).

Yeah, it's funny. Coffee has caffeine which can work for or against people with insulin resistance since it raises our IGF-1 levels (can be inflammatory and increases growth of cells, etc). Yet roasted coffee beans (and other processed fruits) also contain caffeic acid antioxidant & anti-inflammatory, and so this may be a way coffee can still be helpful for people with glucose intolerance issues as it increases cell glucose uptake (chocolate covered coffee beans anyone?). However there's another antioxidant found in in the whole fruit, or coffee berries, known as cholorgenic acid that works to supress excess glucose production in the body. As such, now people can get the benefits of this in a pill since the it's not likely we'll be able to consume the whole fruit (skin, fruit, & seed/bean) anytime soon. http://search.lef.org/cgi-src-bin/MsmGo.ex...rry%20coffee%20

http://www.coffeeberry.org/powder.htm

http://www.coffeeberry.org/extract.htm

Funny, I read and posted links to articles on how coffee can help IR today. I stumbled upon this because I realized I get acne when I STOP coffee consumption. It raises SHBG in people too. I wanted to see if there was a hormone connection with coffee and acne and apparently there is one, but it can vary from person to person like all acne things.

Actually, I started drinking coffee after I started breaking out. Now I drink 4-5 cups a day and I'm 100% clear!

It probably raises your SHBG and possibly estrogen and helps any IR you may have.

To some people, drinking coffee does really gives acne. I am not a coffee drinker but when I tried drinking coffee for a month I had this terrible cystic acne. When I stop it, my skin cleared up. Every now and then I still drink coffee probably once a month without a fail I get cystic acne. My husband drinks coffee everyday but he don't get acne. So to some people who don't get acne when drinking coffee consider yourself lucky.

This is an interesting topic, everyone has their coffee differently so it's very difficult to draw conclusions.

Recently i've been drinking 1 or 2 cups a day, and i've never been a coffee drinker. It hasn't made a difference to my skin but after a few months now i'm noticing lower energy levels and the spike doesn't last as long as it did. It still keeps me warm on these winter days and tastes amazing, I only ever add pure cream. (cream has been a great part of my diet for years)

However, this experience reminds me of sugar in a lot of ways. When I ate junk and had acne, the sugar would make me hungrier and the energy just wouldn't last long. I'm noticing caffieine doing the same thing now to a smaller extent so perhaps it does have a similar effect inside the body regarding hormones, and mine might slowly be heading towards the abyss again. There's another big factor and that's my hair is getting dryer. When I cut sugar and beat acne, my hair improved and got thicker straight away, probably a result of hormones doing their job properly.

There's quite a lot of factors to consider with coffee including how it effects estrogen / testosterone levels (according to loose studies it increases estrogen in females and testosterone in men which should be a good thing), the acidity of the stomach and how the other food you're eating along with it is compatable with higher acidic levels. Unfortunately nutritional science is too much of a joke to actually find an answer, so i'm going to test this and see what happens to my energy levels and hair when I stop for a few weeks.

This is an interesting topic, everyone has their coffee differently so it's very difficult to draw conclusions.

Recently i've been drinking 1 or 2 cups a day, and i've never been a coffee drinker. It hasn't made a difference to my skin but after a few months now i'm noticing lower energy levels and the spike doesn't last as long as it did. It still keeps me warm on these winter days and tastes amazing, I only ever add pure cream. (cream has been a great part of my diet for years)

However, this experience reminds me of sugar in a lot of ways. When I ate junk and had acne, the sugar would make me hungrier and the energy just wouldn't last long. I'm noticing caffieine doing the same thing now to a smaller extent so perhaps it does have a similar effect inside the body regarding hormones, and mine might slowly be heading towards the abyss again. There's another big factor and that's my hair is getting dryer. When I cut sugar and beat acne, my hair improved and got thicker straight away, probably a result of hormones doing their job properly.

There's quite a lot of factors to consider with coffee including how it effects estrogen / testosterone levels (according to loose studies it increases estrogen in females and testosterone in men which should be a good thing), the acidity of the stomach and how the other food you're eating along with it is compatable with higher acidic levels. Unfortunately nutritional science is too much of a joke to actually find an answer, so i'm going to test this and see what happens to my energy levels and hair when I stop for a few weeks.

Even if u get clear skin caffeine has other side effects like insomnia, prostatitis, high blood pressure etc. One thing that you might have noticed already is urinary/bladder incontinence in the form of frequent trips to the bathroom.