Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Last year I used the tanning bed a lot, I found that for the first few months of using them my skin improved. Whether it was disguising the spots or really getting rid of them i'm not sure but I had a great tan anyway. I noticed that when my tan started to fade after a few weeks my skin would get much worse and I would notice flare ups. For at least 6 months now I haven't been on a sunbed and my skin is great, I will probably use them a little in the summer to get a nice base coat before venturing onto the beaches but not yet. If you really do want to use them go on for just a few minutes each week, make sure you don't burn and when you're tanned enough just stop. Obviously it would be better to wait until summer as natural sun is so much better and the actual tan lasts longer but it's up to you!

Cheers, Lee.

omg...smh

TANNING BEDS CAUSE SKIN CANCER WHEN YOU'RE OLDER PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH WITH THE FAKE TANNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO OUTSIDE AND USE SUNBLOCK AND YOU CAN STILL GET TAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually researchers have found that many sunblocks can actually increase the possibility of skin cancer due to the many chemicals that reside in them.

Working it up with a healthy 30 minutes a day of sun-bathing before going out getting fried. It's important to get a base coat so your skin builds up and is ready.

This is from trusted websites, not just off the top of my head.

Lee.

Actually researchers have found that many sunblocks can actually increase the possibility of skin cancer due to the many chemicals that reside in them.

Working it up with a healthy 30 minutes a day of sun-bathing before going out getting fried. It's important to get a base coat so your skin builds up and is ready.

This is from trusted websites, not just off the top of my head.

Lee.

ok buddy let's see these "trusted" websites...

i don't think www.xanga.com/Leeiscool17 is a trusted website

Sunbeds causing skin cancer is actually a theory and has not been proved as of yet.

Also sunbeds can and do help your skin quite a lot. Our skin tans as a defensive mechanism.

Sunbeds causing skin cancer is actually a theory and has not been proved as of yet.

Also sunbeds can and do help your skin quite a lot. Our skin tans as a defensive mechanism.

your a fool to think sunbeds help you in anyway.. tanned skin may be a defense machanism but its also damaging none the less.. and i read that the sun naturally thickens your skin while getting a tan to protect it where a sunbed does nothing but damage it.. not only are you at risk of getting cancer but your skin will be a mess later on in your life if you do it regularly.. but hey i guess some people like having wrinkled, leathery skin.

according to the American Association of Dermatologists, tanning will make acne worse, thought it isn't a fast thing, often it takes a month or two but it causes *some* (i'm not a derm lol) change w'in the skin that adds up to more acne. Go figure why but this is what their website says so I'm inclined to believe them.

Also, while tanning beds (specifically) may not be proven to cause skin cancer (and that would be a very hard thing to prove so I'm not at all surprised), both UVB (the protection for which is measured by SPF labels) and UVA rays can cause skin cancer (this is also on the AAD website if anyone doubts this). UVB is what causes sunburn and was for a long time thought to be the only one of the two which is harmful, but this has been disproved and it is now known that UVA actually penetrates deeper into the skin and thus causes more long term damage as well as premature aging and sagging of the skin. The scary thing about this is that American SPF labels have nothing to do w UVA, and you could have an SPF of 50 with no UVA protection at all (think PABA if you need an example), and UVA radiation is out there at about the same damaging levels summer AND winter. Also, unlike UVB rays, UVA penetrates window glass so you can still photoage inside!

And think about this, if you are concerned enough about the way your skin looks to try to tan it, consider what you'll think of your skin in 30 years if you do tan. IMO it's not worth it.

I went tanning last spring to get ready for bikini season and it didn't really affect my acne. Maybe it was a little less noticeable. Just remember not to wear makeup or you will break out!

The scary thing about this is that American SPF labels have nothing to do w UVA, and you could have an SPF of 50 with no UVA protection at all (think PABA if you need an example), and UVA radiation is out there at about the same damaging levels summer AND winter. Also, unlike UVB rays, UVA penetrates window glass so you can still photoage inside!

your right.. a lot of sunscreens offer poor protection from uva, but thats why you should use physical sunblocks with zinc/titanium oxide.. but ya.. anyone who tans is going to regret it later on.

yeah . . . however you have to use a very high precentage of physicals to get uva coverage, and titanium alone isnt that great, but the crappy thing is that Avobenzone/Parsol (US UVA/UVB protection chem -- which isn't my fav chemical anyway) is rarely formulated correctly in US sunscreens which is completely bizarre bc the patents give the correct chemical ratios for stabilization so why ppl cant figure it out is beyond me. I only wish I had understood that SPF isn't EVERYTHING when I was much younger (or that my parents had known). I got so many sunburns as a kid but also spend many summers working outside, and i'm a suntype I/II so that probably will come back to bite me.

I can only say about short term effects, my personal experience. When I use tanning beds I look better and feel better. It clears up my acne [probably by disinfecting {scientists, etc use UV light to sterilize goggles and whatnot.. i'm not sure if this is the same thing} and by drying it out a bit] and hides what scars I have. Going into a tanning bed in the middle of winter boosts mood too. It gives you a break from gross winter weather, seems to help seasonal depression and is very relaxing.

Personally I think it's a lot better than "natural sun" as well, I get burned by sitting on a beach but very rarely get adverse effects from tanning. It's easier to tell when your skin has had enough and you can just turn the bed off.

I'm a skin type IV, so my skin tans pretty well. I'd think that if you don't tan well or if you tend to get freckles you shoul dnot use a tanning bed at all.

Tanning while using SPF is bullshit. The whole reason your skin tans is cause it's exposed to harmful radiation. It's actually a type of scarring. It thickens skin and increases pigment so the rays can't penetrate any deeper where they may be harmful. Sunblocks block out most of these rays. There are still a few that get through, which is why you can get a little bit of a tan even when you use SPF 50. But the 'bad radiation' still got through. just less of it which equals less of a tan. point being: when you get a tan it means your skin has come in contact with UV rays. Sunscreens don't 'let the good stuff through' [like something that'd make your skin darker harmlessly] and 'filter out the harmful stuff' [the stuff that'll cause cancer]; they filter out a bit of everything. if you tan while using them it also means you've been in contact with the harmful cancer rays. so there really is no safe tan. tanned skin means damaged, scarred skin. but i think otherwise healthy people can tan and their skin will rejuvinate itself without major long term damages. tanning beds have less damage than natural sun, and the skin can heal itself better with them.

Blue light actually helps with acne, but UV is damaging. Wolfkeeper has links to this and uses blue/red light treatment himself. Clearlight uses intense UV free blue light, As the BBC report says its better to cover up and stick to the shade like the Australians now do. Sun screens and block creams contain ingredients which can irritate acne further.