Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alex.

Dan's BP Gel Breakout

I have been using Proactiv for a few years, and it's just stopped working as well as it used to.

That being said, I recently ordered a couple of tubes of Dan's BP gel and started using it a couple of days ago. The other thing I've been using is Basis gel to wash in the morning and evening, and I have had no problems with it since starting to use it a week ago. Back on topic... I applied Dan's gel the first night, and I woke up the next morning with bright red mini pimples on both of my cheeks and on my forehead above my eyes. I was shocked and have since seen those mini pimples get mini white heads. Last night I only applied Dan's BP gel to one side of my face and my forehead, and both of those areas are now visibly worse than the side I left alone.

Is this normal? Should I keep doing it? I've stopped the Basis just to see if I can make sure it's Dan's gel that's the problem (which it seems it is). What should I do?

Different people have different reactions. What you might be going through is the "purging" stage. Which means that all the yuck in your face is being brought to the surface, which isn't a bad thing, just looks bad. You want all the bacteria to be brought to the surface, so you can treat it. It does suck in the begining, been there and done that. The treatment that I am on had me purging for a week before it got better, but it did.

Do you normally break out when you try something new? You have two options. Keep using and see if it gets better, because it probably will or stop using.

What I did before I started my new treatment (2 months ago) was stop using everything topical except my cleanser. I only washed twice a day for a week, then started the treatment. IMO, it helped prepare my face, and instead of a bad intial breakout, mine was mild. I will say, after the purging stage, my breakouts are far far less than before.