Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BFGUITAR

Getting rid of the acne gene

Im completely convinced that acne is passed down through the genes. My mom has, my grandpa has it, my cousins have it.

Of course people get pimples from the occasional clogged pore but serious acne that lasts for the person's life is passed down.

I was doing research for a project and apprently now they have found the gene that makes people midgets (apparently its a mutation of the genes) and by using recombinant DNA technology they can prevent this from happening. On this documentary a midget was interviewed and compared this to the holocaust.

But anyways, if it were possible to find the gene that causes acne, would it be possible to remove that gene sequence and replace it with a gene sequence that gives people perfect skin by using recombinant DNA?

I dont agree with that. Neither my parents or my brother and sister had/have acne, only me. I didn't get acne until I was 24 and after the birth of my second child, before then, clear as can be. I am soon to be 30 and have been dealing with acne ever since, 6 years now. I would say it's mild acne, not severe, but none the less annoying.

I dont know where my acne stems from, but I dont believe it's in my "gene's" I believe it's hormonal, in my case.

Well if its hormonal than it is your genes (or maybe your lifestyle). It is possible that its in your genes to produce alot of hormones at a certain stage in your life and this could be causing our acne. You may also have sensitive skin which is also dictated by your genes.

Damn DNA!

acne is part genetic yes, but you cannot relate directly to one or both parents.. both your parents could of had clear skin and you could still have acne.. the reason for this is "crossing over" . Genes from both your parents cross and match up which might cause you to have acne.. its like a recessive gene, genes that you have but can't see.. for example someone with cystic fibrosis.. to get this disease you have to inherit 1 gene from each parent.. that parent doesnt have the disease but the gene for it.. this also works with eye colour etc.

Yes but during the eraly stages of birth its possible to replace and change genes. Techncally you coulkd change anything from hair colour to eye colour.

true, but i duno if there is an "acne" gene.. its more of the DNA inside your oil glands that produce tho oil, so you wouldn't really know if it was going to caue acne or not.

Your proposition could well take place BF, but not til medical technology advances somewhat considerably. I am of the opinion that acne is genetic and that there is probably some gene mutation which effects how our skin operates. However, the human genome screening thing is pretty expensive work to carry out and I think they'll be looking for information on cancer etc before acne

It depends. Some traits are simple, caused by a single malfunctioning gene, and can be "fixed" with gene therapy. However most traits are much more complex and depend on multiple genes and the way they interact with each other, and that wouldn't be so easily dealt with.

I know my acne is genetic. Like you, it runs in my family and i just don't buy that it's a coincidence. However, for some people it doesn't appear to be genetic, or if it is it's some type of recessive.

acne is part genetic yes, but you cannot relate directly to one or both parents.. both your parents could of had clear skin and you could still have acne.. the reason for this is "crossing over" . Genes from both your parents cross and match up which might cause you to have acne.. its like a recessive gene, genes that you have but can't see.. for example someone with cystic fibrosis.. to get this disease you have to inherit 1 gene from each parent.. that parent doesnt have the disease but the gene for it.. this also works with eye colour etc.

This guy knows what hes talkin about,,,I'm in Senior biology and we jus learnt that,

Basically You have 2 parents, each with two Genes (Or Alleles as they are called). Your mother has Aa and your father also has Aa. A = Acne a = no acne.

Therefor when you are born it can result in AA, aa or Aa. AA = Acne Aa = 50% chance aa = no acne

hope that helps...it can get more complicated because not all parents are Aa..but this is the basic method

EDIT: btw recessive is when lets say Aa occurs and you get acne, so that means "a" is recessive and "A" is dominant (only for this case)

In acne I highly doubt that there is a 100% recessive or dominant allele because so many people's parents both had acne, and they dont. Likewise, someone might get sever acne, but neither parents had it. This is once again a result of Aa + Aa.