Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hapkidoman

Why didn't my grandpa's generation get acne?

I asked my grandpa several years back (he's 73) if he ever saw anyone with acne when he was a teenager and he told me no.

What gives?

If you notice, my father's generation (born in 1958, teenager in the 70's) were the first to get acne and even then, it wasn't that bad.

Now in my generation (I'm 18) you see like 80% of teenagers getting acne.

What is the big difference between fifty years ago and 18 years ago?

Is it all the preservatives we eat?

Is it something to do with polluted air?

Is it something that is in the water?

I was thinking the other day about getting a water filter for my sink, because I drink nothing but water from the tap. Would all the minerals and chlorine and fluoride in the water system be what is causing acne?

I highly doubt that malnutrition is the cause of acne.

How many ethiopians who barely get any food at all do you see with acne?

You do not see anyone who lives in the third world who has acne.

It seems as though that acne is a creation of the first world such as America, Australia, Canada, and some of Europe.

What are we doing different here that is causing acne that the impoverished nations are not doing?

Is it the hormones that we inject into cattle and chickens that is causing acne? I know that there has been some debate about whether or not the hormones in cattle are causing children to reach puberty sooner than normal. Pretty soon we will have eight year olds with beards and acne and seven year old girls with their first period.

Do I have to go to a monastery deep in the foothills of the Himalayas just to escape my acne?

Must I reject all the food that is produced in America and eat only what I grow, like some sort of hippy vagabond?

I'll do whatever it takes, but what on earth am I putting into my system that is causing me acne, and thus lowering my self esteem and making me depressed.

I really hope that by purifying my tap water that I will begin to see some improvement in my skin. I also plan on quiting my antibiotics and taking probiotics instead.

What is wrong with my body!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked my grandpa several years back (he's 73) if he ever saw anyone with acne when he was a teenager and he told me no.

What gives?

If you notice, my father's generation (born in 1958, teenager in the 70's) were the first to get acne and even then, it wasn't that bad.

Now in my generation (I'm 18) you see like 80% of teenagers getting acne.

What is the big difference between fifty years ago and 18 years ago?

Is it all the preservatives we eat?

Is it something to do with polluted air?

Is it something that is in the water?

I was thinking the other day about getting a water filter for my sink, because I drink nothing but water from the tap. Would all the minerals and chlorine and fluoride in the water system be what is causing acne?

I highly doubt that malnutrition is the cause of acne.

How many ethiopians who barely get any food at all do you see with acne?

You do not see anyone who lives in the third world who has acne.

It seems as though that acne is a creation of the first world such as America, Australia, Canada, and some of Europe.

What are we doing different here that is causing acne that the impoverished nations are not doing?

Is it the hormones that we inject into cattle and chickens that is causing acne? I know that there has been some debate about whether or not the hormones in cattle are causing children to reach puberty sooner than normal. Pretty soon we will have eight year olds with beards and acne and seven year old girls with their first period.

Do I have to go to a monastery deep in the foothills of the Himalayas just to escape my acne?

Must I reject all the food that is produced in America and eat only what I grow, like some sort of hippy vagabond?

I'll do whatever it takes, but what on earth am I putting into my system that is causing me acne, and thus lowering my self esteem and making me depressed.

I really hope that by purifying my tap water that I will begin to see some improvement in my skin. I also plan on quiting my antibiotics and taking probiotics instead.

What is wrong with my body!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering the exact same thing. I only drink bottle water or water that is already filtered then I boiled it. I haven't drank water that is straight from tap yet so I can't really compare but I dont see any improvement in my acne though. My parents and none of their friends have ance, (they are 50-60) and we use to live in a third world country also. I look at alot of old people and all of them have better skin than me. Yeah....I dont want to think what my skin would look like at that age.

I was wondering the exact same thing. I only drink bottle water or water that is already filtered then I boiled it. I haven't drank water that is straight from tap yet so I can't really compare but I dont see any improvement in my acne though. My parents and none of their friends have ance, (they are 50-60) and we use to live in a third world country also. I look at alot of old people and all of them have better skin than me. Yeah....I dont want to think what my skin would look like at that age.

I read that most bottled water is the exact same thing as water from the tap, because manufacturers are not very careful when it comes to purifying it. Also, the carbon block found in some water filters has the same purifying ability as 112 feet of topsoil!

Also, when you lived in your native country (or when you were in the third world) did you notice that you had better skin, or did you live there in your pre-teen years? Did you notice anyone in the third world country with acne, or am I just plain wrong?

Good to hear from ya.

George Washington had acne scars.

Where did you learn that? I don't doubt you, I'm just curious as to where you read that.

If George Washington did have acne then it surely must have been a lot rarer back then than it is today.

I found an interesting site that shows how many people in all the countries of the world have acne. To visit the website just follow this link: http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/a/acne/stats-country.htm.

It's interesting to note that America has the highest amount of people who have acne; however, we also have the largest population. It's too bad that the statistics don't show the percentage of people in each country who suffer from acne. In fact, for the size of the population, Brazil seems to have the highest amount of acne sufferers. You would think that they would have less since they get a lot of sunlight and they probably eat a lot of fresh fruit.

I am also beginning to wonder if all these other countries are getting acne, because of all the food that America ships to them. A lot of countries want to be like America, so that means they want all of the fast food and everything.

I also read an article where a lot of African women got acne, because they were given birth control pills. Once again, you can thank America for helping to spread acne to those who are not fortunate enough to have a face full of zits. :lol2:

You would think that if they can place a man on the moon, harness the power of the atom, send space probes to the edge of the solar system, and figure out the genetic code of chimpanzees, that they could discover a cure for acne.

Where do all these new diseases come from? It seems as though acne was not a big deal hundreds of years ago (I doubt acne was a problem for the Crusaders) and no one heard of AIDs until the seventies.

What gives?

I was just talking about something similar to this with a friend of mine, she thinks that disease is an effect of overpopulation and as our population rises, new diseases like AIDS will spring up to keep our numbers in place. Maybe overpopulation and industrialization are key factors in the emergence or spread of acne. what do you think?

ya i totally agree, last summer when i went to Lebanon(in the mid east) i was 99% clear after about a week. i didnt notce many ppl with acne at all, it was weird, then when i came back to the states i went from 99% to 29%.

lol, maybe the air is aloot betr over there!!!

I have been thinking about this too , last year i visited Egypt , Lebonon and i didnt see anyone with acne there , i was out all day long ,, everyone i met there had clear skin , here i am talking about teenagers , because everyone i met was around 18's-20's , i tried to find someone with acne but i didnt fine any , the same was the case when i went to India this year to Goa , nobody there has acne , even tho they eat oily food , whats even more surprising , this year when i went to Japan ,,, even japanese food is full of oil ,,, i hardly saw anyone with acne ,,, maybe bcoz japanese eat alot of sea food that could be the only reason , because they get lots and lots of COD Liver OIL and Fish OIL ,,,

But that is true for many people , our grandparents didnt have acne at all , like in my family nobody has pimple , even my sisters eat the worst food on earth but they have clear skin...

It has to do something with tap water , food and probably many other reason.s,,,,

Acne has been around, it's not just a modern thing.

My parents and grandparents had it, they just basically ignored it because there wasn't much you could do to treat it back then.

My mom (born in the 40's) said that everyone had it, and no one made a big deal about, you just ignored it.

Acne has been around, it's not just a modern thing.

My parents and grandparents had it, they just basically ignored it because there wasn't much you could do to treat it back then.

My mom (born in the 40's) said that everyone had it, and no one made a big deal about, you just ignored it.

Did your grandpa have mild or moderate acne? The only people in my family with mild acne was my siblings and they didnt care much since it was so mild.

I don't know, my grandpa died before I was born, but my parents told me. Most of my dad's family had acne, even the one's born in the 1930's.

ya i totally agree, last summer when i went to Lebanon(in the mid east) i was 99% clear after about a week. i didnt notce many ppl with acne at all, it was weird, then when i came back to the states i went from 99% to 29%.

That's very interesting. Did you completely stop taking any acne medicine, oral or topical? I am beginning to think that, at least for some people, it's the food we eat. I'm not talking junk food, but preservatives and stuff like that.

That's very interesting. Did you completely stop taking any acne medicine, oral or topical? I am beginning to think that, at least for some people, it's the food we eat. I'm not talking junk food, but preservatives and stuff like that.

every one in my family had acne mom dad brother they had mild besides my dad because they really didnt have any thing back than to put on so thats not true cus my dad is 65 and my moms n her 40s the resen my dad had it more bad than my mom me and my brother is because he put vasline on his face but it has been around ill have to ask him if he seen or known a lot of people with acne.

Acne is a problem of the last one hundred years or so. I would say that after WW2 it became recognized as a problem. Times changed, people had more time for leisure, and generally spent less time doing the things that humans were meant to do (exercise, farming, resting, etc.). Life became a perpetual sensory clusterfuck. Stress has skyrocketed.

In general, I think modern life is oriented towards hedonistic tendencies, and diseases are the result of that. People no longer know the meaning of temperance as it pertains to food and leisure. The qualities of "temperance" and "moderation" have been completely lost in the modern world. And it's not just a matter of resisting indulgence, it's a matter of having the financial means to do so. Nutritious food is expensive. For some people to eat, they have to buy pasta, soda, and beef. It's simply less expensive. Who's getting screwed here but the poor? Have you noticed that? And who has the money to join a gym? It even costs money to walk in some parks these days. :(

Do the best you can to avoid shitty food. Be active and live a good life. That's the best way to be healthy. Stay as far away from the city as possible. Rest, really rest, and turn off the television and the phone. Be happy.

I guess acne is like heart disease or cancer. All of them have been around for centuries, but lately heart disease, cancer (especially skin cancer), and acne are beginning to flourish. It really must be our lifestyle.

You can get heart disease through genetics just like acne and cancer, but I am really starting to believe that what we put into our bodies is what determines if we actually get those diseases.

Look at heart disease. You can be more suseptable(sp?) to it especially if you parents had it, but if you eat healthy and go to the gym, chances are you won't get it. If you eat McDonalds all the time and don't take care of yourself then you will have a better chance of heart problems.

Also, look at cancer. A lot of people get cancer because they smoke, but some people smoke a pack a day for sixty years and then die mearly of old age and natural causes. While some smoke just a little and then get cancer. It is all about genetics.

However, just because it's about genetics that doesn't mean that what you put into your body has no effect on you. I am pretty sure that if I completely cut out all dairy and ate only organically grown food then I would no longer have acne. But like one person above said, organically grown food is a lot more expensive then the junk food and who has time to stay home and cook a meal from scratch these days. Both my parents work so that means that I get to eat a tv dinner 3/4 of the time.

Actually James I have seen an article about medevel remedies for acne, such as cat blood, etc. It was interesting. My grandma had mild acne and she said she saw people with acne. I wish I could find that article.

You would think that since 85% of teenagers get acne that the government would spend a lot of money in grants and stuff to research a possible cure. 85%!!!! Acne has got to be one of the most prevalent(sp?) diseases around. Think about it, if 85% of teenagers were getting cancer or herpes we would consider it to be an epedimic, even a plague!! But, I guess because no one has died from acne its not as important a research topic.

that could be the air the water if they have a sea i heard sea water helps acne alot salt water can clear it up veryfast.

Wow, I am thoroughly impressed with how everyone is handling this topic! :clap:

Some thoughts to consider:

How severe was your parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents acne back then?

Where was their acne located (face, body, scalp, etc)?

If they cooked their own meals, was it primarily grain & dairy based or more heavily based on vegetables and fruit?

If they ate fast food, how frequently (once every few months, once a month, daily)?

If they took prescription drugs, such as antibiotics, nsaids (aspirin, tylenol, motrin, etc) or consumed alcohol or smoked was it as frequently as people do now?

Of course, how physically active (farming, building, chores, walking, exercise, etc) were people back then compared to now?

Wow, I am thoroughly impressed with how everyone is handling this topic! :clap:

Some thoughts to consider:

How severe was your parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents acne back then?

Where was their acne located (face, body, scalp, etc)?

If they cooked their own meals, was it primarily grain & dairy based or more heavily based on vegetables and fruit?

If they ate fast food, how frequently (once every few months, once a month, daily)?

If they took prescription drugs, such as antibiotics, nsaids (aspirin, tylenol, motrin, etc) or consumed alcohol or smoked was it as frequently as people do now?

Of course, how physically active (farming, building, chores, walking, exercise, etc) were people back then compared to now?

My grandpa was very active. He grew up on a farm in the midwest and his parents cooked from scratch. He joined the army when he was 17 and then spent the next seven years in Japan, Okinawa, the Philipines, and Korea. He was very healthy and he had no acne.

i think acne has become a bigger problem bc people are doing more harm to themselves such as eating a ton more sugar, coffee, hormones in food, etc etc. I had REALLY bad acne and notice I get flare ups everytime I over exceed something bad...and it takes time to heal so its freaking hard to get what exactly is breaking you out. So far i noticed too much chocolate, smoking (cigs), coffee and ANY flaxseeds and nuts break me out. I dont eat any nuts and seeds and i have only one coffee a day and a cig or two a day...some days i dont and im almost clear...i just have 4 little scars on my face right now...i only get a pimple here and there when i become BAD and i mean eating 4 chocolate bars in one day or smoking 10 cigs in one day or something...but some people are more senstivie to things..got to see what your body can handle