Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperFly

I may have to quit the regimen, even though it cleared up my acne.

I'm exactly one month into the regimen, and I must say that it works very well for clearing up acne, however, that's not my problem any more. The dryness that I have now looks worse than my acne ever did, and instead of improving, it's just getting worse. Here's some history:

-It started out with loose flakes that I could brush off and that was cured by using a liquid cleanser and lots of moisturizer.

-When I started to get flakey, I changed to using Cetaphil and using the waterless wash and that helped for a while, (few days) but I started getting dry again.

-I then bought the Neutrogena moisturizer in my sig, and that helped tremendously for about four days, but my skin started getting dry again.

Now, I do the waterless wash, use less than half the amount of BP that I used to use, then use TONS of AHA moisturizer then use TONS of Cetaphil moisturizer about 4 times a day, and I'm drier than ever. The worst spots are on the outside of my eyebrows, like toward my ears, and the sides of my mouth. The dryness is so bad it's not even flaking anymore, but dry peeling skin that I can't brush off with a brush. I also thing this is affecting the BP absorbing because even when the BP feels completely absorbed, it leaves a cakey white paste on my face, and it never used to do that.

I need help guys, badly. I don't want to stop the BP for a week or whatever because I'm getting over a breakout resulting from a junk food binge, and I'm almost clear. If anyone has any ideas of how I can be less dry, please, tell me. Thanks in advance.

Illy, I feel your pain :( I, too, suffer from extremely severely dry skin. Especially during the winter months. It's so frustrating because the regimen keeps me 100% clear, but the dryness is outrageous sometimes! :doh:

Sheesh, it sounds like you're doing everything you can for the dryness. The cetaphil liquid cleanser is great, moisturizing OFTEN during the day, using less BP....all of that should be the perfect solution for the dryness. But it's still not helping, huh? Oh man :wall:

Then I think I'd have to say skip a couple of days of the regimen. I know it sucks, you don't want to break out. :( But either way, sometimes the severe dryness can make you breakout too. So give your face a rest for just a day or two, let it build back some of it's natural oils and moisture. Then start the regimen again, using just a small amount of BP and ramping up again.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you hun :pray:

Thank you Ginette, I appreciate you helping me. I guess taking a break from the BP is the only option I have right now, and I'll just have pray that I don't start breaking out. I hope this works. In the meantime, if anyone else has any ideas or input, I'd love to hear it.

I can't really add anything, I think Ginette covered it pretty well.

Slack off on the bp, if you don't want to stop completely, just apply it to your usual problem areas, away from those dry spots for now.

For those of you with really dry skin, have you ever tried using a humidifier during the wintertime? Adding some moisture in the air, especially while you sleep at night, could possibly help.

Just a thought.

Hi Illy, I had the same problem. My face was so dry, I can't even put anymore make ups because my skin was peeling so bad. So I also stop putting bp for 3 days because of the dryness, after that I had 3 active pimples...grrrhhh

But I'm been reading a lot in the forums, some says emu oil or jojoba oil is good. So what I did I add 1 drop of jojoba oil with my cetapil cleanser then put bp, then use cetapil moisturiser. At night I do the same thing except I use emu oil for moisturiser. It's only 4 days and my skin is getting better. No more peeling, still dry in some small part like around my eyes and around my mouth. But for sure it look better now. If you want to try it, you can buy this oil in drug store or better in natural stores.

Goodluck!

one thing that I've found useful in the winter months is using a humidifier. You live in BC though, so maybe it's not so dry there as it is here (Montreal)... it may be worth a try though.

I appreciate the advice, but I have to go to school in 2 days and honestly, my face looks like a crocodile's. So uh, I have another question for you all: is it possible that the AHA moisturizer could be making my face even more dry with all the exfoliation? My face is dry on spots that I don't even put BP...

absolutely yes, you CAN overdo it with the exfoliation, and Healthy Skin face lotion is very strong.

Consider using a regular moisturizer, such as Cetaphil, until your skin recovers, then if you want to try the aha moisturizer again, just maybe once a day or every other day, alternate with Cetaphil, or one of the other moisturizers.

Oh man! I'm almost certain that's it now, because when my skin started getting dry (not flakey, dry) I just kept ramping up the Healthy Skin Face Lotion and it kept getting worse. I'll stop using that and BP for the next few days and see how it goes. Great, looks like I'm going to be getting a visit from Mr. Acne again.

well, you may not need to stop altogether, just stop using the Healthy skin face lotion, reduce the bp (rather than completely stop), and layer on a good gentle moisturizer, maybe you can avoid a breakout that way.

well, you may not need to stop altogether, just stop using the Healthy skin face lotion, reduce the bp (rather than completely stop), and layer on a good gentle moisturizer, maybe you can avoid a breakout that way.

Here, here. I totally agree with Brandy! sounds like a smart plan. Illy, don't worry so much....you'll be fine!

And keep telling yourself you WON'T breakout, and sincerely BELIEVE it :pray: