Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cubscubs04

Why is it...

Almost every morning right when I wake up my scars are a lot less noticeable than at any other point throughout the day. I was wondering why this is. Is it because your face swells when youre sleeping? If there is a legitimate reason for this maybe there is some way to keep it up throughout the day. Any thoughts?

Guest Virgo

Yeah I also noticed it, and then right after I wash my face it looks worse.

Yes the effect is very familiar.

It is the body fluids and relaxed state of the face muscles which make the illusion. If one stays in horisontal position, it stays. Or if you wake up and stand up well before the morning, it wont be so in the morning (so it is not the lighting).

One good hint: Do not go to the plastic surgeon*s consultation if you have just recently woken and raised up. (S)he cannot see how it really looks in the evening and some of them are hard to explain to how much waking hours really affects the depthness of the scars. They dont really understand if they havent seen the phenomenon.

Would be cool (well maybe?) if it was something like at night people with "good skin" get acne... and we get acne in the day but at night we were the ones with clear skin.

Would be cool (well maybe?) if it was something like at night people with "good skin" get acne... and we get acne in the day but at night we were the ones with clear skin.

:think:

Yeah I also noticed it, and then right after I wash my face it looks worse.

Same here... I hate it!

Hahaha, that'd rock! :D

That scar-free face in the morning is what makes me happy and confident enough to go to work and university.

By the time I realize it's just your face swollen from sleep, I would be done from uni and would be on my way home to hide and mourn the loss of good skin. :(

Stress, That's the answer,

Too much stress is very toxic because and generates cortisol which attacks your inmunse system. That's why when you wake up you are relaxed and your skin looks good.

Stress, That's the answer,

Too much stress is very toxic because and generates cortisol which attacks your inmunse system. That's why when you wake up you are relaxed and your skin looks good.

Everyones face is swollen in the morning thats why your scars appear to be filled in. Guys are supposed to wait for their faces to go back to normal before shaving in the morning.

I also have less scaring in the morning... almost not noticeable on the deep one and the shallow one is virtually gone. But this effects only last for hours after I wake up in the morning. if its true that this comes from a swollen effects on the face then maybe they should invent something that makes our face stay swollen troughout the day or heck for the rest of my life. on the side note my scar is the type that is much noticeable when I strectch my skin... so was wondering if anyone ever experience or heard anyone getting their scars revised by facelift...

well thanks for reading my post... I hope I didn't come across as a random lunatic. I've been a reader of acne.org posts since along time ago and I just decided to sign up until tonight.

sometimes when I feel real down because of my scarring I often come to acne.org and read peoples post it really makes me feels like I am not alone and there are others that care about my situation because they are in the same boat and I believe thats the only way people can relate to each other.

thanks for being there! thanks for posting!

the morning thing is so true AND after i shave using a real razor (not electric) my skin tightens up and looks amazing. i always shave before i go out to bars/parties/etc as you can imagine.

I don't like shaving in the morning, I prefer to shave later in the night or before I sleep.

This is a fact for me. I stopped washing my face in the morning, because I don't want the scars to get worse. As soon as I wake up my face is excellent, I head off to work and later in the day (about a few hours later) it starts to get worse. I'm betting it is the stress. But yeah, I wish there was a way we can get longer temporary "sleep-like" effects.

the morning thing is so true AND after i shave using a real razor (not electric) my skin tightens up and looks amazing. i always shave before i go out to bars/parties/etc as you can imagine.

This makes me want to shave.

same here, maybe sth. produced overnite help to heal the scar.or at least minimize the pore

For ladies, maybe it's a makeup thing. I've noticed that my scars are less noticeable without makeup, but I still put on makeup to look pretty, but then my scars are more noticeable. It's probably a lighting/ shadow thing with makeup and the swell after sleeping.

Sometimes my scars look better with makeup and other times they look better without. It's really weird, because I use the same makeup and look at it in the same light. I think just certain days my scars look better than others, why, I do not know...

Yeah, I notice this one too but it highly depends on the quality of sleep I get. If I didn't get a good sleep and I wake up feeling tired, I don't see a difference with my scars. On the other hand, if I wake up feeling good and my face feels refreshed, my face looks much better.