Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gttraveling

Difference Between a Filler and a Subcision

When I get restylane injected, my doc tells me that does the same thing that you people are saying a subcision procedure does, since the needle is breaking up scar tissue each time I inject a scar with filler.

So, I ask, what is the difference then? You might as well get a filler like Restylane and use it to be like a subcision. More bang for your buc, after all? Ie: a half vial of restylane is $300, and I use about half of that per visit, so its basically $150 per visit which $150/subcision... and I get filler with it!

Maybe I am asking this question because I don't know much about "subcision" (I asked my last 3 dermatalogists about the procedure and none had a clue what I was talking about). Does anyone have the link to the major subicsion thread if there is one? I coudlnt find it on this board.

Subcision is breaking up the scar tissue, to allow new scar tissue to be created that will fill up a scar naturally.

The difference is that Restylane is more expensive and temporary.

I have had three subscisions on large areas with filler. The first filler was my own fat and it only partially lasted and the last two were with fascian. With a subscision, the dr. takes a specially made bevelled needle, pokes it through the skin and then with a fanning motion right under the skin, breaks up the adhesion between the skin and the layers under the skin. This allows the skin to not be bound down with the scar tissue under the top layer of skin. My doctors told me that a subscision alone will improve the look because the skin will not be bound down as tight to the tissue below. Both liked to use fillers to place a layer between the skin and lower layers to keep the skin from adhereing back down to the former position.

I am not sure if the procedure that you mentioned has the same effect. You may want to consult with one of the good drs. mentioned on this board that do subscisions and ask that question. I can tell you with my subscisions, I did get substantial swelling and bruising for several weeks but then again, I had several large areas done. I found that arnica montana cream made by Borion really helped the bruising, swelling and healing.

Dan

In theory, it should. Because in order to place the filler, the needle has to penetrate part of the scar tissue, releasing it. It sounds like the needle you describe though goes to town on the scar tissue, where for restylane and other fillers, its a normal needle.

I have had three subscisions on large areas with filler. The first filler was my own fat and it only partially lasted and the last two were with fascian. With a subscision, the dr. takes a specially made bevelled needle, pokes it through the skin and then with a fanning motion right under the skin, breaks up the adhesion between the skin and the layers under the skin. This allows the skin to not be bound down with the scar tissue under the top layer of skin. My doctors told me that a subscision alone will improve the look because the skin will not be bound down as tight to the tissue below. Both liked to use fillers to place a layer between the skin and lower layers to keep the skin from adhereing back down to the former position.

I am not sure if the procedure that you mentioned has the same effect. You may want to consult with one of the good drs. mentioned on this board that do subscisions and ask that question. I can tell you with my subscisions, I did get substantial swelling and bruising for several weeks but then again, I had several large areas done. I found that arnica montana cream made by Borion really helped the bruising, swelling and healing.

Dan

Yes, its a specially made needle with a beveled edge. I think the subscision will systematically break the tissue in a particlular area but maybe just the needle injection will break up some of it. Sounds like the subscision may cover a larger area and break all of the tissue at one time.

I had such large areas that the needle method would have taken me forever.

Dan

I had such large areas that the needle method would have taken me forever.

Would you have before- and after-photos of the treated areas somewhere to show?

btw, the name of the special needle in subscision is Nokor-needle

subcision is much more aggressive than the filler. the filler needle only penetrates the scar 1 to 3 times. very minor compared to subcision, which breaks up the scare tissue. i can't beleive your dr thinks that's the same thing? indeed, they are similar, but they are on completely different levels. the filler needle goes in straight and clean leaving a small pin hole in the scar tissue. subsicion tears the tissue underneath. the doctor is really getting in there with subcision. in that case, i think there uncomparable.

It is sad, that there really is facial plastic surgeons who don't know what "subscision" is. But they should know all what Nokor-needle is, so it can be explained to them. Actually a word "subscision" or "subcision" is not known to many dictionaries, so I guess it is a new invented word.

subcision is much more aggressive than the filler. the filler needle only penetrates the scar 1 to 3 times. very minor compared to subcision, which breaks up the scare tissue. i can't beleive your dr thinks that's the same thing? indeed, they are similar, but they are on completely different levels. the filler needle goes in straight and clean leaving a small pin hole in the scar tissue. subsicion tears the tissue underneath. the doctor is really getting in there with subcision. in that case, i think there uncomparable.

Exactly! Both procedures use (RADICALLY different) needles, but the similarities end there. It's like saying hedge cutters and a machete are the same instrument for the same end.

*sigh* okay then, guess I'll have to find a doctor in the DC area who does subcision. Would love to get some of my scars subcised before I do fraxel.

*sigh* okay then, guess I'll have to find a doctor in the DC area who does subcision. Would love to get some of my scars subcised before I do fraxel.

That is a FABULOUSLY BRILLIANT idea, gt! Get as much scar revision as possible before resurfacing, lasers, etc. etc. This is my soapbox issue, so I apologize to keep harping on it; but I've had dermabrasion AND exoderm and ONLY NOW, like a complete idiot, am having scar revision. I could just shoot myself for approaching this in such an ass-backward way -and even though the respective doctors didn't recommend scar revision, saying I didn't need it (!); it really is "caveat emptor" - BUYER BEWARE (and BE INFORMED) so we are not entirely at their mercy. I just don't want you to have to learn this same bitter lesson, darlin'.