Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HopefulSkin

Red patches after dermabrasion

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering if any of you post derm had prolonged redness on just certain patches for a long period of time... for me, over 5 months now. It's strange because the rest of my skin has healed in terms of redness but just these 2 inch areas on my jawline/cheek are still bright red!!

I'm wondering if redness could persist for a lifetime? what can I do to help it?

-Hopeful

I'm no dermatologist, but from what I've read, if the areas are bright red then you should probably have them checked out by your dermatologist to check if you're developing any hypertrophic scarring. I've heard of this type of scarring sometimes developing a while after a dermabrasion, particularly over areas of bony prominence on the face. One of the symptoms is ongoing intense redness in certain areas. As far as I know this can be treated if caught early with stuff like steroids and silicone. It could also just be sensitive skin or redness that needs to fade, but if I were you I would check it out ASAP with a doctor to make sure and to treat the area if needed. Good luck!

Hopeful,

I'm having exactly the same condition and was treated with VBeam by Dr. Harmon. After one

treatment, the redness was reduced about 40%. I did not get a chance for another treatment due to having a facial surgery. Anyway, your condition is totally treatable and the redness will fade away by itself within a year or so, according to Dr. Harmon. Since Dr. Y is now available, you can visit him to make sure that you're healing ok if the time or money is not an issue.

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering if any of you post derm had prolonged redness on just certain patches for a long period of time... for me, over 5 months now. It's strange because the rest of my skin has healed in terms of redness but just these 2 inch areas on my jawline/cheek are still bright red!!

I'm wondering if redness could persist for a lifetime? what can I do to help it?

-Hopeful

Thanks Lunarsurface,

I've been meaning to post pics, but right now I'm in Hawaii with family... totally sucks because I can't even enjoy the sun, or anything for that matter!

Anyhow, I'm on board with Sword and Kipster's letter if things don't progress. I'm at 5 months and a week, so I don't want to jump the gun, and I'm really not here to point fingers or blame specific individuals per se. However, I do feel that the warning about Asian skin (higher possibility of hypo, hyper, mismatched pigment of old and new skin, etc), should be highly emphasized. To make this matter trivial is a grave error on the doctor's end, as this is their professional duty to be as researched and thorough as possible in their respective fields. I feel misled as well.

I'll post pics asap when I get back to NY next week to show you the horrible demarcation line and the red patches of skin (where my skin was perfect before). The most difficult part about this process is knowing that I did this to myself, and that I may NEVER be able to put my hair up or back ever again. I know it sounds vain and superficial, but my neckline and shoulders were my best features prior to this procedure (as most people complimented me on those parts.) Ugh, I know I have to get over this, but how can I??

Hopefulskin

Sorry to learn of your pigment problems. This seems to be a huge problem for so many. Best wishes for a full and fast recovery.

What skin type? Did Dr Y perform derm? Aside from pigment problems, how were results? Would you not do it if you could go back in time?

PS: Hawaii is such a great place. Can't you go out in sun with block on?

Here are some photos of the disturbing red patches of skin on the jawline and the demarcation line that is very evident.

Have any of you other derm patients encounter this type of prlonged redness? and has any Asian person recovered from it after looking the way I do?

In terms of demarcation line, has anyone had it this badly and it resolved over time?

Any feedback would be helpful!

-Hopeful, don't know if I'm hopeful anymore : (

Hopeful,

Your pics are too large to be attached in the message body.

I put them in the gallery.

Let me know if you want to put it in your gallery instead.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thank soo much HopefulSkin, Sword and Kipster! :angel::angel::angel: for posting your pictures and emphasizing to us about the disturbing side-effects on Asian skins after the dermabrasion...

Actually i was seriously thinking to go for a dermabrasion @ March (with Dr Y). Until i read your posts... now i know that is NOT a good decision.

I really feel for you guys and appreciated your sharings.. ((HUG)) without your warnings. i bet i am going to be the next victim from the red patches and demarcation line as well..

Hope you all can heal miraculously in 2006 :pray: and Hopefulskin, i have to agree that you have an "artistic" and beautiful neckline and shoulders :wub: Can you cover the red patches with makeup?

Take care all!

strawberry skin

Here are some photos of the disturbing red patches of skin on the jawline and the demarcation line that is very evident.

Have any of you other derm patients encounter this type of prlonged redness? and has any Asian person recovered from it after looking the way I do?

In terms of demarcation line, has anyone had it this badly and it resolved over time?

Hi hopeful :D

When was your dermabrasion done? Maybe it will heal. :pray: I want you to remain hopeful. Time can really work wonders. Have you tried a bleaching cream? Which dr. performed it? Have you spoken with them? If so, what did they say?

I'm so sorry all of you had to experience this and I thank you for sharing you pain and pictures with us. You are helping so many of us who may have gone for the procedure, but know better now thanks to your openness that there are risks that should be thought of before doing it. I know that is little consolation for you and I wish there was something we could do to help you. :wub:

Hi Sassy_Svengali,

Thanks for your kind words...

Yes, I'm currently using a whitening cream by Shieseido just on my neck areas. Just started it a few days ago. We'll see how that helps in terms of lessening the coloring difference. I'm very careful to avoid the dermabraded areas as to not aggrevate anymore.

Dr. Yarborough did my procedure. I did not contact him as of yet... I guess I felt horrible after the hurricane hit New Orleans. I felt it was not the right time to discuss face redness/demarc issues. Of course to me, this was like taking away my whole life, but I understand in the context of other peoples' lives, it would seem somewhat selfish. At this point, I may contact him just to hear what he thinks.

Well, I also pray for things to resolve in time...

-Hopeful

Hi hopeful :D

When was your dermabrasion done? Maybe it will heal. :pray: I want you to remain hopeful. Time can really work wonders. Have you tried a bleaching cream? Which dr. performed it? Have you spoken with them? If so, what did they say?

I'm so sorry all of you had to experience this and I thank you for sharing you pain and pictures with us. You are helping so many of us who may have gone for the procedure, but know better now thanks to your openness that there are risks that should be thought of before doing it. I know that is little consolation for you and I wish there was something we could do to help you. :wub:

Hopeful,

It is no doubt very tough, I'm talking unreal tough. Please believe in yourself that you will get through this and come out strong. Yes you will!!

Of course to me, this was like taking away my whole life, but I understand in the context of other peoples' lives, it would seem somewhat selfish.

Has anyone thought of suing Dr. Y because of this? I know I sure would. I feel like you were misled. Others who are caucasion have had problems post-derm with him as well...a girl from Scotland whose user name I can't remember (sorry) and LOVE...those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I feel gut-wrenchingly terrible for all of you and hope to God you heal. :wub:

The problem with any scar treatment procedure, is that one doesn't know what the outcome will be until you try it. Regardless of the skill of the physician, the only way to know if a procedue will be beneficail is to do it. I don't really think that this is DR. Y's fault. I think after time, your skin will heal. There have been many here who have had good reults with Dr.Y and I guess those who didn't, just didn't heal peoperly. Hopeful, I will pray for you and I hope you heal. Be sure to get in touch with maybe anothe PS or Derm who could help you.

Hi, Hopeful

I too had dermabrasion from Dr. Y I have. a splotchy redspot identical to yours, However mines is the size of a dime. Through the months the color have somewhat lightened. I am going to start using triluma to maybe try to bleach away the rest of the red. It seems to slowly heel, So keep your head up. Kind of regret getting Dermarbasion should of done "Fraxel" instead. Couple of months after dermabrasion had bad cystic breakout on the neck, Which left some dark scars. I finished 4 fraxels and it has improved in color and texture I would say 50%. We all should of done our research before jumping into Dermabrasion. I'm going to see my Dermatologist to talk to him to get a full face fraxel to improve my scars as much as possible. But before I start procedure going to ask him, whther or not fraxel will effect "melonites" you know skin color. Kind of wish demarcation line improves soon, So that I can get procedure. I think that dermarbsion gave me 10 to 15% improvement and Fraxel 50% or more, If I get 60% improvement for now I would be satisfy. Best wishes for everyone.

The problem with any scar treatment procedure, is that one doesn't know what the outcome will be until you try it. Regardless of the skill of the physician, the only way to know if a procedue will be beneficail is to do it. I don't really think that this is DR. Y's fault. I think after time, your skin will heal. There have been many here who have had good reults with Dr.Y and I guess those who didn't, just didn't heal peoperly. Hopeful, I will pray for you and I hope you heal. Be sure to get in touch with maybe anothe PS or Derm who could help you.

I think it's a problem when he didn't tell them of the risks. He said he never had it happen. That's a sign of a bad MD. In addition, plenty of people on here have had this problem from him. I don't know how many people had dermabrasion with him, but a good percentage have had problems just in this thread from the same Doctor - something is wrong there. I always had an uneasy feeling about him from the things people said. This may explain why he didn't want people talking about him on a message board to compare notes. Has anyone looked into his past legal actions to see if he's been sued for malpractice?

hi im just curious as to what all of your skin care regimens are? it would be interesting to see if you're all doing something different (or similar), and maybe some tips can be given. take care.

This may explain why he didn't want people talking about him on a message board to compare notes. Has anyone looked into his past legal actions to see if he's been sued for malpractice?

No I have not checked but I think someone here did and found nothing.

I have no intention to start a group-blame, but I want to confirm I am not the only one feeling misled. Let's compare what Dr. Y did and did not tell us.

In my consultation:

He said he never had patients stuck with redness. He said the average time for the redness to fade was 3 months.

- He did not mention how long it takes to resolve in the worst case.

- He did notwarn about rosacea symptoms such as flushing and persistent redness many months after the merabrasion.

I asked him if I can expect my skin to tan again, because my skin tans and remains dark for a long time. He said yes and most patients get their original color back. Only 5% - 6% becomes a shade or two lighter.

I asked if anyone suffered from serious complication. He said ONLY TWO of his past patients ever had any problem. One put on makeup to board a plane a few days after dermabrasion. The other get sun burn 6 months after dermabrasion.

To be fair, he did mention hypopigmentation but emphasized that I should avoid the sun and use sunscreen. However,

- He did notmention even if I take all precaution, hypopigmentation can still occur.

- He did notmention the inherent risk specific for my skin type (IV).

- 6 months after dermabrasion, I asked him why it happened to me, he said it is a rare case, and this kind of things "cannot be predicted". He told me to use makeup to blend the color. When I expressed my dislike of cosmetics, he told me to use sunless tanning lotion for blending "and it is not make up".

I asked if he ever read about side effects of dermabrasions mentioned in these medical journals, he said no.

From DermNet NZ:

"Skin type – mid range skin types (III-IV) that tan easily are more likely to show transient hyperpigmentation (dark marks) 4-8 weeks after the surgery and hypopigmentation (pale marks) 12-18 months post surgery. However, discolouration can be a problem with all skin types."

"Other active facial skin diseases such as acne, rosacea and dermatitis – these may flare after dermabrasion."

From emedicine

"Mid range skin types (III-IV) are more likely to become transiently hyperpigmented 4-8 weeks after surgery and hypopigmented 12-18 months after surgery."

"The more permanent problem of hypopigmentation usually does not appear for 12-18 months after surgery. This pigmentary alteration occurs in 20-30% of patients; however, recent work with the 308 nm excimer laser may provide a method of stimulating melanocytes to replace lost pigment."

Actual Result:

11 months after the dermabrasion, I must say, my scars look 15% - 30% better. However, the negative outweigh the gain by miles.

- My face is still red and easily flushes like a tomato.

- My pigmentation level is many times lighter than original. You can easily tell my face is lighter than my neck, and the skin near my hair line.

- There is clearly a demarcation line at the jaw, and around the hairline. Because of pigmentation difference and redness, it is easy to trace.

- The overall effect is as if I am wear a facial mask of a different color than my own.

In my opinion, the risks of hypopigmentation for type IV skin, persisting redness and the lonnnnnnnnnnnnng healing time were definitely downplayed. If Dr. Y told you the same things at your consultation, I can see why you felt fairly safe about dermabrasion.

I find it odd that Dr. Y did not emphasize asian skin typically having more problems with pigmentation from dermabrasion with all his experience in dermabrasions. When I talked to Dr. Samuel Lam who is only 36 years old he was very hesitant to do anything like spot dermabrasion particularly because I have asian skin.

I do think that your skin pigmentation will get better and better over time however.

Exactly. How could he not know??

I find it odd that Dr. Y did not emphasize asian skin typically having more problems with pigmentation from dermabrasion with all his experience in dermabrasions. When I talked to Dr. Samuel Lam who is only 36 years old he was very hesitant to do anything like spot dermabrasion particularly because I have asian skin.

I do think that your skin pigmentation will get better and better over time however.

Exactly. How could he not know??

wait... so if i got microdembrasions, would that be bad?