Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SweetJade1980

The OFFICIAL Diet-Acne Link Articles Thread

I had dandruff, but it went away along with my acne when I changed my diet (took me about 2-3 weeks to get rid of it completely). My skin also heals so much faster now that I've done a few liver and salt water flushes to cleanse my liver and bowel.

I follow a somewhat strict paleolithic diet with only organic and natural foods. I don't use any supplements at all except for some high quality cod liver oil from St Clements. I'm more tolerable to candy and junk right after an intensive training session, but anything with milk or hydrogenated oils in it will make me very naucious for a few hours now that my body knows what it can't stand.

Maybe some of us who follow these kind of strict diets could share some recipies? I have several good ones that will make you forget all about candy, chocolate and all that other nasty junk food.

Update: The last two articles I posted in my initial post were recently pulled from pubmed. I don't know why but I guess I can email Dr. Mann to find out.

However with regards to the second study below I can post at leasta dozen more linking various dietary changes, predominantly what the boys were following, and blood chemistry changes. These studies will cover both the hormonal and inflammatory markers that are linked to acne just as in the study below and then some, but will be in relation to high cholesterol, obesity, diabetes, PCOS, Insulin Resistance and even Hyperandrogenism, most of which CAN have acne as a symptom, but these studies will not specifically mention the word "acne".

Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2005;14 Suppl:S43. Related Articles, Links

The effect of a low glycemic load, high protein diet on hormonal markers of acne.

Smith R, Mann N, Braue A, Varigos G.

School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Melbourne, VIC.

Background - Acne vulgaris is a common endocrine condition affecting adolescents in Western civilizations. Acne typically manifests during puberty when there is a transient decrease in insulin sensitivity. It has been suggested that high glycemic nutrition during puberty induces hyperinsulinemia which increases the bioavailability of androgens and certain growth factors. These changes may induce follicular epithelial growth and increased sebum production - two factors responsible for acne proliferation.

Objective - To determine the effect of a low glycemic load diet, comprised of high levels of protein and low glycemic index (GI) foods, on hormonal makers of acne vulgaris.

Design - Male acne sufferers [n=43, age=18.3+/-0.4 (mean +/- SEM)] were randomly assigned to either the dietary intervention (n=23) or control groups (n=20). The intervention diet consisted of 25% energy from protein and 45% energy from low glycemic index carbohydrates. The control group received no information about diet nor were they given dietary instruction. Venous blood was collected at baseline and 12-weeks for an assessment of testosterone, sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), free androgen index (FAI), dehydroepiandrosterone - sulfate (DHEA-S), insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-binding proteins -I and -3.

Outcomes - Dietary intervention resulted in a significant reductionin FAI (-9.1 +/- 4.5, P<0.05) and DHEA-S (-0.72 +/- 0.33 umol/L, P<0.05) and an increase in IGFBP-1 (5.3 +/- 1.6 ng/mL, P<0.01). No significant changes were observed in levels of IGF-I, IGFBP-3, testosterone or SHBG following dietary intervention. The control group showed no change in any of the blood parameters measured.

Conclusion - These data suggest that a low glycemic load diet may reduce androgenic activity (as indicated by a reduction in FAI and DHEA-S) and may oppose the growth promoting effects of IGF-I by increasing levels of its binding protein, IGFBP-I. This implies that a low glycemic load diet may reduce hormonal influences involved in acne pathogenesis. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum