Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crashoverride64

Excision questions.... Please help

Hi. I am very seriously thinking of going in for an excision on a couple of shallowly pitted red acne scars about 1mm in diameter. This is basically my last resort b/c I have done everything I can(i.e. ate a skin health promoting diet, always used spf/avoided sun religiously on scars, and waited over a year for the scars to heal completely). The dermatologist told me that sutures are used; will she have to numb my face before she does the procedure? Also, I am a little afraid going into this route b/c I have worked so hard to clear my skin the best I can for the past 18 months. I don't want to jeopardize this by taking this risk but then again, I also want to have these small, shallowly pitted red scars fixed. Also it is ver pricey; this derm charges $150 for a shallow scar about 2 mm in diameter. She said that her patients generally see much improvement yet I am still weary. Please help me with this dilemma. Thank you very much.

Crash, the numbing shot(s) is the worst part as far as pain. You will feel the pull with the sutures but other than that nothing. You will have little sutures for approx a week and after that--you should be a happy camper. Best wishes :angel: If you are like me, you will wonder why you didn't do this a long time ago.

Wow, isn't 1mm in diameter rather small for an excision? Are there size limits for excisions? I've been considering to have excision performed as well, but I always thought my scars on my cheeks were too small for this procedure and my scars are around 1.5mm in diameter.

From what I know, $150 is pricey. They usually go around for $60-$80 per scar regardless of diameter.

I would do 1 (ONE) TEST spot first, pref. on a less conspicuous area of your face. I had it done on 1 scar and it made it much worse. The pulled skin forms a shallower but larger diameter crater that looks worse in most lighting conditions. Again, I would proceed with caution.