Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Icantthinkofaname

How often do you put sunscreen on your red marks

Sunscreen and red marks  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you put sunscreen on your red marks??

• Never
    • Sometimes
    • Only in the summer or hot days
    • On all sunny days
    • Religiously (every time you are outside, all 4 seasons, cloudy and sunny days)

Just curious to see how many people use sunscreen here on their red marks and how often they do. Just to see how many people here actually know the importance of using sunscreen daily on red marks regardless of the weather or time of year. Please answer honestly.

I guess nobody really bothers even reading this. They are too busy trying to find the miracle topical that will diminish the red marks on its own. It's not going to happen. Time + daily sunscreen is the answer.

Guest wickedaznguy

Like everyday. Eucerin skin renewel is the best thing out there.

does sunscreen help wit

red marks? i mean

help fade em ?

cuz i dont use it.. :redface:

yes i know i should....

It helps speed up the process of the hyperpigmentation in red marks. Everytime the sun gets to them (whether it's sunny out or not) it makes the marks darker whether you can notice or not. It basically puts the melanocytes (pigment) into overdrive. It really prolongs the healing process of the pigmentation part of red marks. I just recently have learned that there is blood vessels that are dilated or broken also with hyperpigmentation. I don't know if this happens to everybody but it happens with me.

I would strongly suggest finding a very light sunscreen and wearing it throughout the day reapplying every 2 hours because it wears off after that period of time. Just search on any search engine the following: "post inflammatory hyperpigmentation sunscreen" and you will find a lot of valuable information.

Well, in my case the sun has not made my red marks worse. I worked outdoors this year and my skins better than its been for ten years. And sunscreen doesn't block out the sun entirely, your skin will still be damaged and tan no matter how often you apply sunscreen or how much sun screen you use. Moisturizers have sunscreen in them because it's cheap and it sells the product. If you don't want sun damage, wear a hat. Unless your going to be in the sun all day, thats a different story.

It is not noticeable. You think that the sun hasn't made your red marks worst but it has indeed. The healing process is so slow you can not tell a difference day to day. This takes up to 12 months or more to fade. The sun isn't going to make a noticeable difference in your red marks. The fact is it's delaying the healing time because it is re-darkening them whether you can notice or not. Most people can't notice. You are right about the sunscreen not protecting 100% but it's a hell of a lot better then no sunscreen at all.

I think sunscreen is just basic skin care and should be a part of everyone's regimen. The sun does make red marks worse. But, more importantly, things like skin cancer and a leathery face top my list of things not to get. BTW Europe apparently, has better sunscreens that contain two ingrediants that are much more successful at blocking UVB and UVA rays called Parsol and Mexoryl. America is way behind due to the FDA not backing Mexoryl and Parsol is not found in many sunscreens in the US. A good European sunscreen I found is by L'Oreal and it is called Ombrelle. I read about this "sunscreen situation" in the Washington Post about two months ago.

All this talk about sunscreen when its cloudy is nonsense. I use a moisturizer with spf 15 but Its not because im afraid of the sun. I work indoors and at night. I am probably in the sun about 2 mins everyday. thats walking to the building I work in. I've heard some people say you need to use sunscreen when its cloudy? There's no sun! Unless your constantly in the sun, then I don't think sunscreen makes that much of a difference.

Well what you think and what science has proved our two different things. Just because it's cloudy doesn't mean the sun is not out. It's not the brightness of the sun that gives you a tan or sunburn. It's the sun's rays. Clouds aren't physically blocking the sun's rays. The sun's rays penetrate the clouds and still make it to your face. I have read it on the internet and have heard it from many dermatologists. Not only that, but I also experienced it first hand. I was working on a golf course and we would be outside all day (8 hours straight). It was raining out one day and I decided not to wear my sunscreen for the simple fact that it would be washed away by the rain and it wouldn't do me any good. Well I didn't get a sunburn but I did notice my face was red and it's not because I was working hard and I was flushed because I never got this on sunny days when I did wear sunscreen and I worked just as hard if not harder on all those days. Please don't just say what you think. If you can find proof or a dermatologist tells you that when it's cloudy that sunscreen is completley not needed then go by his/her advice. Don't just give out misleading information just because you think it's not true.

I agree with liemd, he's only outside for 2 mins, you were outside for 8 hours. I think what he was trying to say is that he doesn't need it because he's never in the sun. And your being a little harsh telling him not to state his opinion. This is in fact a message board for everyone, not just you.

first I would like to say welcome to the boards Mark =)

"All this talk about sunscreen when its cloudy is nonsense."

I am not referring to his individual case and how he only spends 2 minutes in the sun. Since getting rid of red marks is a very tough task and they seem to linger around for so long you would think people would want correct information that has been proved and not just someone's own opinion on the issue. I am referring to the following statement that he made about wearing sunscreen when it's cloudy is nonsense. You have to understand that I am not here to argue with anybody on the internet. That is a waste of time. I am here to help others by giving them valuable information and also I try to get the same. When people give false information or just state their own opinion on the issue it is clearly just their opinion. That is not what this message board is for. If he wants to post like he knows everything then that is just fine. I will let him waste his time. Science is proof, opinions are far from the truth.

well i was reading all the posts and I think you just took it the wrong way. I think these boards are a way to get peoples opinions on things and what works for individuals. Your probably right about wearing sunscreen on dark days and all...but you basically told liemd to shutup with his opinions and it made it sound like you wanted everyone to listen to what you had to say and not his opinion. I think these boards should be for everyone to voice their own opinions and thats how others get feedback. I'm not arguing but I'd like to hear others point of view as well.

All you are seeing is binary code. There is no way for you tell if I am shutting someone down or arguing with someone. I am smiling as I post. No negativity at all. I like to separate facts from opinions. The healing process is very slow and results aren't seen overnight. Takes a long time and the continued use of sunscreen has been overlooked. Just do a simple search at google....type in "post inflammatory hyperpigmentation sunscreen" or "red marks sunscreen"...basically anything you want and you will see articles about the importance of sunscreen. If you are using internet explorer when you go to the website that google gives you simply press "control + f" that is hold down control and hit the "f" key. This brings up the search for the website. You can do it with any website and you can search the term "sunscreen" in this to go right to where you want to go. I explain this because most of these articles are very long and don't concentrate just on sunscreen itself. I will give you an example...

taken from dermadoctor.com

"The sun is your enemy. No matter the cause of your discoloration, the sun actively plays a role in deepening the disparity between your natural lovely skin tone and the unwanted dark patches. Maybe you can place the blame squarely on all those hours spent in the sun intentionally sun bathing or perhaps you were merely passing through on your way to less sunny conditions. But sans sunscreen, those UV rays are going to send your pigment-producing skin cells (aka melanocytes) into overdrive."

"Sun protection is crucial. The sun will try to darken up the areas you are working so hard to bleach. A broad spectrum SPF 30 (like DERMAdoctor Body Guard Exquisitely Light SPF 30) should be applied daily and can be applied on top of your chosen discoloration-busting treatment."

I am not saying that sunscreen isn't important. I use it myself and stay away from the sun at all costs. But I don't see the point of wearing sunscreen if your going to be indoors all day. Sunscreen doesnt fade the red marks.

I don't mean indoors like that. I mean if you happen to be near a window that the sun is penetrating do you make sure you either stay away from there at that time or wear sunscreen if you have to sit there. I am a fanatic with it but I don't wear sunscreen indoors but I do stay away from the sun if it is shining in my face through a window.