Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wolfy

Blue/red light treatments (and phototherapy)

Assuming that both products use the same light frequency, its just a case of which has the most bulbs attached to it and which has a longer life. Also look for one with reflective mirrors behind the lights, i assume they both do. If they both look roughly the same, go with the one you can trust more, i.e u know others use. I myself am using Beauty Skin Acne Light, been using the lamp for 5 days so far and its looking promising. I used to use BP with great success and this lamp is doing the job just as good so far, and is also giving my face a more natural look. I no longer have to worry about bleached clothing/towels hair :D . However its still early days so ill keep you all updated in the coming weeks :lol: I got my lamp from Androv Gbr

£199 with free delivery. It was dispatched immediately and i recieved it after 3 days. So i can recommend this one. The dermalux lamp is also an option, i know people on here have had great results with it. However i found their customer service to be very poor, after ordering 3 weeks ago. I received no invoice or confirmation and phoned up about 10 times to find out what was going on, and got no where each time, they kept saying they would phone back but never did. When they finnally did ring back i canceled because i had just ordered the beauty skin lamp. Anyways this isn't like a topical cream which has different ingredients, the lamps all work the same, just go with one you can trust.

Grow_To_Overthrow it must be 9 weeks now, hows it looking?

Assuming that both products use the same light frequency, its just a case of which has the most bulbs attached to it and which has a longer life.

Twice the number of bulbs aren't going to make your acne twice as good though; it just means you only have to sit infront of it for half the time.

i've been using the sci/art system for a few weeks and it has worked great so far. Breakouts have reduced a lot.

Plus, i think i found out where you can get the sci art bulbs for cheap...

blue

http://www.bulbman.com/index.php?main_page...roducts_id=7380

red

http://www.bulbman.com/index.php?main_page...roducts_id=7383

gaffer grip

http://www.smithvictor.com/products/detail...nm=GAFFER+GRIP+

i'm still a little iffy about the safety of using these flood lights on your skin.........but those are the exact same ones sci/art uses.

Nice work!

The only other thing you would need are goggles. At a pinch you could use swimming goggles and paint them with silver paint, or cover them with silver foil. But that would be 100% opaque, which is a nuisance.

i'm still a little iffy about the safety of using these flood lights on your skin.........but those are the exact same ones sci/art uses.

AFAIK there's no known reason why they should be significantly harmful.

Is it beneficial to use BP and this light treatment at the same time? Iv been using the lamp for about 2 weeks since stopping BP and have started to break out, which is ok, i was half expecting it. is it possible for me to perhaps apply BP after i have used the light for the next 6 weeks or so to prevent breakouts. Itd be like a merge changeover from BP to RED/BLUE light. would the light treatment still work the same and would this approach be able to keep me breakout free throughout?

You should be able to use the two together, provided your skin is clean when you use the light.

Let us know how you get on.

(My suspicion is that the breakout is unrelated to the changeover in treatment though; it may be coincidental.)

Is Infrared damaging to the skin? can you use it long term. Infrared that is?

The acne treatment lights arn't infra red. If you mean the red light from the acne treatment lights, then as far as research has shown, no. But the light can damage the eyes. So as long as you use the goggles provided you should be fine. If you do actually mean infra red, im not sure what effect it has on the skin, let alone whether it helps acne.

Hi there-

I've read about a lot of the different lamps that are recommended here. I am thinking of purchasing the acne lamp, but no one has mentioned it or any results they may have had with it. Their website is newly revamped and I am thinking of purchasing one of these lamps, but they are reallllly expensive. Does anyone have any experiece with this particular lamp good or bad? Thanks!

www.acnelamp.com

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Hey people, just thought i'd check in with my progress.

I've had my Sci\Art lights for 10 weeks:

Currently i have one pimple worth mentioning, some comedonal acne/clogged pores that are gradually clearing. My skin is without a doubt considerably clearer, calmer and smoother. I do still breakout, but it is slowing, and alot of it is comedonal, not really alot of nasty stuff.

Currently i have one pimple worth mentioning, some comedonal acne/clogged pores that are gradually clearing. My skin is without a doubt considerably clearer, calmer and smoother. I do still breakout, but it is slowing, and alot of it is comedonal, not really alot of nasty stuff.

I've had mine for about 5 1/2 weeks - I think my pores are getting smaller, because the acne is smaller - I still have comedonal/clogged pores as well - I've been used Jojoba and Neem after cleansing at night starting about 3 weeks ago - I think this brought out some more stuff. I'm hoping that in the next few weeks I really start to see a difference. Thanks for your update - it is encouraging to keep on using them.

week 3

Starting to break out as bad as i were before starting the CSR, so therefore im going to use both BP and the blue/red light on my face until these flare ups reside, then come off the BP. going to keep doing this until the 12 week period is up and see if my skin can cope with the lights and not BP. I just hope that using BP isnt hindering the effects of the lights. Anyways every morning and night i Wash face with a gentle soap-free face wash. Wait for skin to dry before using the lamps for 15 minutes. Apply BP as to the CSR, then apply oil free moisteriser.

Getting quite confused, the lights instructions did say to expect a worsening of symptoms to begin with and that things would get better. However i was 100% clear when starting the Lights course, and 2 weeks in my acne came back. I can put this down to the changeover in treatment because whilst on the CSR i was able to remain 100% clear all the time. Ah well, ill stick with it, keep you all updated soon.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

week 3

Starting to break out as bad as i were before starting the CSR, so therefore im going to use both BP and the blue/red light on my face until these flare ups reside, then come off the BP. going to keep doing this until the 12 week period is up and see if my skin can cope with the lights and not BP. I just hope that using BP isnt hindering the effects of the lights. Anyways every morning and night i Wash face with a gentle soap-free face wash. Wait for skin to dry before using the lamps for 15 minutes. Apply BP as to the CSR, then apply oil free moisteriser.

Getting quite confused, the lights instructions did say to expect a worsening of symptoms to begin with and that things would get better. However i was 100% clear when starting the Lights course, and 2 weeks in my acne came back. I can put this down to the changeover in treatment because whilst on the CSR i was able to remain 100% clear all the time. Ah well, ill stick with it, keep you all updated soon.

This sounds really strange, although i have found that underlying acne purges with the use of light therapy. That may be an explanation.

Also, it takes a good 2 months for the blue light to kill off enough p.acne's to clear you considerably. It's eradicating a colony of bacteria. Although you were clear, you stopped BP use which was keeping the acne at bay. When you stop that use, the acne returns. These lights wont kill it straight out, so you're breaking out.

I personally would suggest that you ride out the storm. I'm not sure that you're meant to use these two in conjunction. Light therapy is a great way to stay clear without all the irritation of med's. Perhaps try twice daily usage, keep it 8 hours apart though. Maybe use it in the morning upon arising from your slumber, then in the evening before bed. I've used this tactic when i was stressed and breaking out, it did a great job of speeding up the clearing process.

By the way, what lamps do you have?

I've had mine for about 5 1/2 weeks - I think my pores are getting smaller, because the acne is smaller - I still have comedonal/clogged pores as well - I've been used Jojoba and Neem after cleansing at night starting about 3 weeks ago - I think this brought out some more stuff. I'm hoping that in the next few weeks I really start to see a difference. Thanks for your update - it is encouraging to keep on using them.

Great to hear that you're sticking with it. I also found that i purged simply with light usage, that may be contributing to it. Not to worry though, it's just part of the process.

From the sounds of it, i'm pretty confident in saying that you'll see further improvements. You sound pretty much the same as i was at that point. Hang in there. :D

PM me if you want to chat about anything.

week 3

This sounds really strange, although i have found that underlying acne purges with the use of light therapy. That may be an explanation.

Also, it takes a good 2 months for the blue light to kill off enough p.acne's to clear you considerably. It's eradicating a colony of bacteria. Although you were clear, you stopped BP use which was keeping the acne at bay. When you stop that use, the acne returns. These lights wont kill it straight out, so you're breaking out.

I personally would suggest that you ride out the storm. I'm not sure that you're meant to use these two in conjunction. Light therapy is a great way to stay clear without all the irritation of med's. Perhaps try twice daily usage, keep it 8 hours apart though. Maybe use it in the morning upon arising from your slumber, then in the evening before bed. I've used this tactic when i was stressed and breaking out, it did a great job of speeding up the clearing process.

By the way, what lamps do you have?

Hi, thanks for your reply, im thinkin maybe i should ride the storm out, however theres still about 5-7 weeks before i should see serious results from just the lights. I felt really depressed before i stumbled across the CSR and i dont wanna go back to that stage again. So i think what i should do is minimize BP usage to once a day and then to non when its cleared me again. then if i break out again repeat procedure. Hopefully by week 12 i shouldnt need it anymore. Im pretty sure the lights should work for me as BP works wonders. We'll see. I also wish there was more information on Blue/Red lights, there just does not seem to be any except you guyz wisdoms and the british case study.

By the way i use the Beauty Skin lamp and purchased it from here. http://www.androv-medical.com/product.php/...6eab591caee727e

URRRGH!!! The problem with blue and red light treatments are....

1. They're really expensive

2. They take forever to see an improvement

3. There's still only like a 50/50 chance it will work for you!

I've tried three different light treatments for acne...they kind of helped, but I had to use them EVERY SINGLE DAY, and the improvement wasn't enough to make it worth it.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Okay i'm not sure where you've been looking, but if you click here you'll stumble upon a blue light kit for US$95.95.

Provided you live in a country with 110V power, you can use that as is. You could even buy a floodlight that fits GE bulbs, then order a bulb from here for US$26.05. I only had to look on the last page of this thread for that bargain!

Haven't you already invested in this contraption? Are you 100% clear, because that cost you a fortune under Andrewski's law of finances. $49.95 plus $7.95 postage.

Define forever, i've only waited 10 weeks so far. I'm doing alright over here.

I think it's something like 75% actually.

I've tried three different light treatments for acne...they kind of helped, but I had to use them EVERY SINGLE DAY, and the improvement wasn't enough to make it worth it.

Ever heard of the phrase 'it's the driver, not the vehicle'? I think that applies here.

i gave up on this about 4-5 weeks in when i kept breaking out for a week... i know of i should of kept going but i just didnt feel like it... doing the two lights was taking up like almost an hour of my day... i may start doing it again but with just the blue light but that depends on how much trial time i have left with the sci/art.. but i dont think it will work.

I've been using my Red 'n Blue Acne Fighter for about a month now and haven't seen any results from this machine sofar. I'm doing a lot of topical stuffin the meanwhile which is helping me. After I've been doing this stuff for 3 months I'll try to reduce my frequency of applying topicals and see what happens (if I get reasonably clear in the first place that is). I'm doing about 15-20 mins in 1 session every day.

Week 6

Have been Using Lights for 6 weeks now, and BP for the last 4 ( to clear up breakouts ) . Cutting BP use to once a day for the next week or two. Will keep you all updated. BTW im slightly worried that the light isnt reaching all areas of my face and neck evenly.

Just a few questions;

-Do you all move your face around during the treatment? If so how often.

-I havea 6 bulb unit. Can i face the far left bulb for 5 mins, then the far right bulb for 5 mins and then the center for 5 mins to provide a full exposure during a session? or does doing that effect the concentration of light on the front of my face? Just getting a bit worried that im not doing this right. The guidelines that came with the box told me to treat the effected areas 15 minutes a day, but as theres so many areas of the face and neck that arnt directly facing the lamps it can get complicated.

Thanks for any help.

After must debating (should I??..shouldn't I??) ... I finally put in a order for the Dermalux.. only to find out they are closing down!

ARRGH FRUSTRATION!

Okay i'm not sure where you've been looking, but if you click here you'll stumble upon a blue light kit for US$95.95.

Provided you live in a country with 110V power, you can use that as is. You could even buy a floodlight that fits GE bulbs, then order a bulb from here for US$26.05. I only had to look on the last page of this thread for that bargain!

Haven't you already invested in this contraption? Are you 100% clear, because that cost you a fortune under Andrewski's law of finances. $49.95 plus $7.95 postage.

Define forever, i've only waited 10 weeks so far. I'm doing alright over here.

I think it's something like 75% actually.

Ever heard of the phrase 'it's the driver, not the vehicle'? I think that applies here.

I think that's just a waste of money. The way dermastyle, blu-u, omnilux work is that the deliver the blue or red light at certain frequency. For the blue I think it's around 408 mm and the red is 633mm. Regular bulbs would have little affect on your skin because it's frequency are far off.

Guest WolfPleb

I think that's just a waste of money.

Wrong!

The way dermastyle, blu-u, omnilux work is that the deliver the blue or red light at certain frequency.

Yup. Except they're either lower power or more expensive.

Regular bulbs would have little affect on your skin because it's frequency are far off.

They're not regular bulbs though; they're expensive filament bulbs with carefully chosen properties. They've got something called a 'dichroic' filter over the front which is basically a special mirror that reflects all the light that is the wrong color back to the filament where it gets reabsorbed, till it is eventually re-emitted as precisely the right color.

The blue bulb gives an intense blue light of precisely the right color. Neat technology actually!

You can actually buy the bulbs direct from GE for half the price.

And the statistics are with well applied blue light therapy that 80% of people get a ~75% improvement in their acne; 10% see some improvement, and 10% see no improvement.

There is a fairly long thread on the lumiport pen light, which uses red/blue light here. It can output red and blue light simultaneously. Most people seem to have had pretty good luck with it. I just recieved mine today so hopefully I will too.

These lamps need to plugged into a socket. Where is the acutal part that plugs into an electrical outlet? I'm thinking about buying a blue light and using it daily, possibly buying a redlight. But I've red the red lights arent good for kids, I'm 15. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.