Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amy H.

Anyone have success with Differen?

I have a doctor's appointment in December. I am hoping that he will prescribe me Differen gel. I have read a lot about it on the internet. I was just wondering how many people have had success with it. I have been on everything else including Accutane but I have never tried the Differen.

Thanks.

i just got a prescription for differin today. he said i could choose either gel or cream. is there any real difference?? i am also hoping this stuff works.

I am using the gel but i wonder if there is a difference between the cream and gel.

So I have been using the gel twice a day with the Plexion cloths for about month. I haven't seen too much change but I am going to give it until the year. One good side effect which I don't know if it is the gel or the cloths but my face is softer but I still have a few bumps left. I heard Differin also prevents wrinkles.

hi!

i used it (differin gel) and it worked fairly well. i have pretty severe acne (many cysts, etc). but the differin got it in check, so i was pretty satisfied. i stopped using it, and i broke out a lot about 6 months later. to be quite honest however, it wasn't the GREAT results that i was expecting or hoping for. but it was decent. it is a lot less severe on your skin (less irritating) than others (like retin A micro) but also less effective, IMO.

one more thing: i was using differin in the evenings with minocyclin (oral antibiotic) and brevoxyl aka 4% benzoyl peroxide (in the mornings)

I have done a lot of research on the Differen and the only difference between the cream and the gel is the cream is for sensitive skin. I have mild acne so I'm hoping this will do the trick!

hey i was on accutane and never got COMPLETELY clear on it; but it's under control now (have two active pimples, ones the size of a pinhead and one's slightly bigger) with differin and an antibiotic. I've only been on it for a month or so. BTW, It never did a thing for me pre-tane.

Most people who do not have any luck with Differin don't use it correctly, as long as you use it as prescribed and use little bits of it and only at night, it should start working, although it takes a very long time to.

Most people who do not have any luck with Differin don't use it correctly, as long as you use it as prescribed and use little bits of it and only at night, it should start working, although it takes a very long time to.

There may be an initial breakout, but after that I haven't had more than the occasional pimple every once in a while. Cysts still occur but its better than before I used differin. I think the gel is more drying than the cream, but the gel is more effective i believe I read awhile back on this forum.

I went to the derm about a month and half ago for the first time. She prescribed differin, a benzol peroxide wash, and doxycycline. I really like differin and im one of those people who has really persisant acne no matter what i use. I use the cream instead of the gel cause my skin dries easily. I really like it for that reason its not harsh, cause i tried doing "the regimen" for the whole summer and that dried out my skin soooo bad even after months of use. I have mild moderate acne, and i have def noticed a difference in the first month, like i don't get any big pimples anymore. I hope it keeps working well. Good luck with it.

i love using differin especially when combine with salicylic acid and i seldom got irratation rather than using Retin-A..the most important thing is to be gentle to your skin..

Hey.. this may be my first post but I went to my dermotologist in early July and he prescribed me differin gel alone. He never really prescribed me anything for the morning... just diferin at night.

Basically through osme research and such.. i started washing with a product called baxter face wash. Then i would use a toner and some bp. Finally some moisterizer cause it dries out really quickly. At night i would wash my face with the face wash and apply the differin.

Its december and ive been doing this for almost 6 months. I can tell you first hand differin works. I haven't had anything big come up for about 2-3 months... if naythin jsut really small ones that heal in a day or two.

I don't know if its because its winter and my face is better in the winter (its definitely drier so i apply moisterizer) but its been working really really well.

I know I haven't been using differin with an antibiotic other than an over the counter bp in the morning but just use it for hte long run. It really is worth it.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks everyone. I hope my doctor will give me the Differen when I see him this month. I don't see why he wouldn't I 'm only asking for a topical.

I've tried both the cream and gel. The cream worked great, then one time I went for a refil and they pharmacy was out of the cream, so I took the gel. The gel fried my face. I could only wear it for 2 days in a row, my face got real red, and started peeling bad. I'd suggest the cream, unless you think your skin can take it.

Differin worked wonders for my skin - cleared it up immensely. I no longer get cystic acne...just really mild, isolated spots.

I am also on another topical for night time...something in a neostrata solution. That alone helped significantly reduce the red marks.

However, now I am going to attempt to start taking accutane...because even the isolated spots are contributing to the scaring.

The bad part about getting clear skin, is that the scarring is more noticable.

bnd.

used it for two years. never improved my skin at all. after i went off and switched to dan's regimen my skin vastly improved. so i guess "the regimen" is a lot more effective. I was also on benzaclin at the same time as differin. i put the differin on in the morning and the benzaclin on at night.

Differin worked pretty well for me. I had moderate cystic acne and it really helped reduce it, I rarely get cysts anymore. However, like many longtime acne sufferers, I relapsed after being off it for a few weeks. I basically get milder versions of acne now, although I am now diagnosed as having Rosacea, which is a bummer.

Good luck, and make sure you follow your treatment plan and don't miss doses!

I used differin for a year with oral antibiotics and it only helped a little. During the summer I got taken off oral antibiotics as my pre accutane blood tests were showing up a slightly high liver enzyme. While we waited to see if a month off oral antibiotics would rectify my test results, the dr added benzamycin to my regime to try and keep my acne in check. After a month I was looking noticeably clearer. my liver enzymes had come down to the normal level but I was right on the edge of the abnormal level. I decided not to go on the tane and see what happened with this regimen. Its been over 4 months now and although I do still get 1 or 2 spots a week, they arent usually that major. So in my experiece I would say that differin is only that effective if you have extremely mild acne.

i was prescribed differin (cream) and eryacne. I tried it for about 8-10 months and it did nothing. I broke out more and more every day. Every time I woke up I wondered how many pimples I would have for the day. Terrible, terrible stuff. I kept with it because everyone said it takes months to work. Well, I gave it months and it caused nothing but embarrasment and pain.

I started using Retin-A two days ago and it has already made my pimples flatter and not as red.

I don't know how well it works for regular acne but it's suppose to be more effective against acne with mostly comedones, but it didn't do anything for my blackheads and whiteheads. Used it for two years (gel and creme).

I've been using the Gel for over a month and it has helped clear up the little pimples I had on my forehead (I still have a couple, but no big deal). The only major problem with it is that it has made me more oily because the oil just flows out much better without getting clogged in the pore. I dont know what to do about the oil but am very pleased with my results so far. I also never had the dreaded "Initial Breakout".