Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
winnie44

how do you cope

Eh, most of the time I don't cope well with the scarring, but I tell myself that there are solutions out there, and I will try as much as I can to make my skin better. Since I can't try a new/expensive procedure every other week, I buy little things that make my overall skin texture and tone better. Some of the products help that, while others don't do squat. I'm also finally getting on the ball about doing a bigger procedure for my scars. I'm making 2006 the year that I go to doctors and surgeons and have some kind of bigger procedure done because all I'm doing now really, is experimenting with topicals and internet products and stuff.

When you have depression and/or anxiety because of the scars, it's hard to "get on with your life" and do things that make you happy, but every once in a while I find myself in situations where I forget about the scarring and it's great. I feel like the girl I was 3 years ago before all of this started. Of course, reality slaps me in the face a few hours later, but it's nice to feel that way even if it's for a few hours.

I have no social life whatsoever. I'm not in real school anymore (I take online classes) and I hate even being around family or going to the local Wawa. Since I don't have a "real" life, I try to find other hobbies like reading, working out, watching flicks, cleaning, going on the computer,doing beauty-related stuff to make me feel better, and of course, researching scar treatments and skin stuff. I also try to be around positive people who won't tell me I'm crazy and put me down for being "vain" and I try to stay away from people who talk negatively about other's appearances and might make me feel bad about my own. Basically, I try to surround myself with people I trust and feel comfortable with.

On top of all of that, I tell myself almost every day that I didn't deserve this. This is something that happened to me, and why should I end my life over it? Or be in so much pain over it? I'm a good chick, and I deserve to be happy. I'm definitely NOT happy, but I deserve to be, and I'll keep trying to be.

Good luck to you, and you deserve to be happy too.

I hope 2006 brings great things to you. <3

Sometimes I remind myself of a woman who was in one of my classes in college. She had deep rolling acne scars over at least 90% of her face that could be seen from 15 feet away, but I was impressed by how confident she was. The way she carried herself and spoke and dressed (very stylishly)--I realized that confidence is more attractive than smooth skin.

I think about the fact that are many people in this country who are severely disfigured since birth or by accidents, many more than you realize because you don't see them since they don't leave the house. I'm grateful that I look normal.

Also the vast majority of people who reach old age live the last years of their life in chronic pain so I appreciate the good health and functioning I have now. I appreciate that I can walk down the street without debilitating pain.

I cope by not ever leaving my bedroom. As insane as that sounds, I truly am a happy person! I even used an exclamation point! Only happy people use exclamation points!

I cope by not ever leaving my bedroom. As insane as that sounds, I truly am a happy person! I even used an exclamation point! Only happy people use exclamation points!

Scientology.

How do you cope with having acne scars?

Lately I have just been surrounding myself with people all the time (boyfriend, family, friends). They make me feel confident and then I begin to feel more confident with myself. I am with them all the time and they never say anything about my face so apparantly I make it into a bigger deal than it actually is. People who really care about you and love you will not make you feel bad for things you cannot control. That's why it is so important to surround yourself with good people. I still get down on occasion but I am much happier and content with things. I still want my skin to look like it did 2 years ago but I am optimistic that things are getting better and hopefully time will be on my side.

The hardest thing to accept about scarring is the fact that even if you have 1.000.000.000 dollars you will not be able to eliminate your scars completely. THAT is frustrating.