Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Serena*

does any1 know if hydrogen peroxide is a good toner?

i need to find a good toner and i was wondering if hydrogen peroxide is ok to use..ive never heard of any1 use it before so i was just wondering. thanks

I got this from cosmeticscop.com:

Hydrogen Peroxide

Given what is now known about free-radical damage, I no longer recommend hydrogen peroxide as a topical disinfectant for acne. Oxygen is clearly a problem for skin, and hydrogen peroxide is a significant oxidizing agent. The way hydrogen peroxide works is by releasing an unstable oxygen molecule onto the skin, and that generates free-radical damage. The extra oxygen molecule that makes up hydrogen peroxide is extremely unstable. That's why hydrogen peroxide is packaged in a dark brown, airtight container.

On exposure to air, hydrogen peroxide's extra oxygen molecule is released and the product becomes plain water. For skin prone to acne this extra oxygen molecule is capable of killing the bacteria that cause blemishes. Acne bacteria are anaerobic, meaning they don't like oxygen. But because of the problems that stem from impacting the skin with a substance that is known to generate free-radical damage, other options need to be sought. Please see Battle Plans for Blemishes, for different treatments to combat the bacteria that cause acne.