Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hi everyone,

i just started accutane yesterday- 30mg a day and in 4 weeks i have to go back to the derm to see if alls ok! im 19/f about 125lbs

ive always had mild-moderate acne but managed to cover it up.. and even at some points ive had clear periods, but these past few months its got AWFUL!!! ](*,) my cheeks are totally covered in pimples..

ive been on various medications- courses of antibiotics tetracyclin etc...retin A... diane 35 all the past 4 years but there really was never much improvement.

Some questions for anyone!

is there anyone on roacc who has acne/has had acne but thier skin has never been really oily like most peoples seem to be?? My skin actually is relativly normal in terms of dry-oil combination but i still get spots..whiteheads..pustules..blackheads and the ocassional cyst. Infact my skin can get pretty damn dry sometimes.. but that could also be cuz ive messed my skin around using saliciyc acid.. benazoly peroxide..retin A

--> now im just using cetaphil cleaner and neutragena oil free spf moisterisor.

I just hope this finally works.. i was spotted by a scout model but they saw me when i had foundation on and it was in dim light at night in a bar so they didnt see my acne... but i knew with all the bright lights.. cameras.. etc my skin would look ANYTHING BUT like a models!!!!

i never got back in contact.. my confidence is way too low and i think the scout would be shocked to see my skin with no makeup on. I hate wearing make up anyways!

Another thing.. one month prior to starting accutane ive been taking zinc supplements (to help with scarring)and vitamin E supplements(i heard that helps healing). Is it still ok to take them with roacc?? Im scared incase the vitamin E will prevent the roacc working as it might cancel out the vitamin A ?

i just hope this works.. [-o< im tired of having to hide my face.. pull my hair over my cheeks..stay indoors in the day :)

good luck to anyone whos on roaac :-

love davina!!!!! xxx [-o<

I don't know about zinc but vitamin E is okay. In fact, vitamin E helps prevent some of the side effects of accutane (the extra dryness) without hurting the drug's effectiveness, or so I've read.

Anyways I hope that helps. Good luck with your treatment!

thanks doggy,

do you or anyone else also know what i should take roac with? I was told to take 2 in the morning (20mg) and 1 at night (10mg). and i read milk is good to take it with as roacc is best absorbed with a food with fat in.. but i dont eat very fatty foods and especially dont have a heavy breakfast. so im confused if they tell you to take it with milk but also ppl say you should avoid milk if you have acne what kind of food should i take it with!

also i read on someones journal online that he found roacc best worked when he took his pills all in one go at supper, as this was his biggest meal and at breakfast he would only have orange juice so it wasnt being absorbed properly. does anyone know if this is ok, to take all the pills at once in a day ?

sorry for all the questions.. if anyone could help that would be so great xx

Hi there,

Good luck with the roaccutane. Im sure it will help you.

But i mainly wanted to say - contact the modelling agency! You can explain your skin situation and that you are on roaccutane so it should be gone/manageble soon anyway.

Believe me, with the talents of proper make-up artists and lighting people, they can make the worst skins look good!

I really really think you should go for it. Whats the worse that can happen? If they turn u away, u may risk a knock to your confidence, but im sure you're strong enough to deal with that.

Chances are, they deal with spots all the time.

Did u know that Cameron Diaz, Britney spears and even posh spice has/has had acne? They always look good thanks to talented people.

Also, apparently Elizabeth Hurley has acne scars all over her cheeks, but she's still managed to become a sucessfull model.

If they turn u away, you'll be no worse off than you are now.

If they accept your problem is temporary and can be covered, then you could be on your way to stardom! Then you can get famous and give all young girls/boys hope to overcome acne and follow their dreams regardless.

If you don't ring, you'll never know. Its as simple as that.

Go on, ring!! who knows what opportunities you are dealing with!

Let us all know how it goes!

Claire xx

hi dontwantto feel ugly,

thanks for your reply and encouragement :-

but i cant, it sounds really self centred for me to be so concerned about my apperance but i really dont have the confidence cuz of my skin.. yeah i know we all sometimes exagerate but when you have acne it becomes the only thing on my mind.. :) every time i go near a mirror i shy away unless its dark so i see everything but my bad skin! its bad enough me being at home and shying away my skin but imagine being in a spotlight.. surrounded by beautiful people with gorgeous perfect flawless skin.. i hate to imagine everyones faces on seeing me without layer upon layer of makeup and seeing thier disgusted or pityful faces as they look at me. i just hope accutane is sucessful with me then, JUST then i may have the confidence to give it a go!!!

r u on accutane? ive been on it 4 days and havent experienced any dry skin which worried me a bit. but i have been on vitamin E and zinc for a month and use alot of moisterisor.. but i hope the drugs still working

[-o<

davina xx

Davina,

I would just take it with milk in the morning. I don't think taking them all at night is a good idea because I'm sure there is a reason our derms made us spread out our dosages.

The connection between diet and acne isn't fully understood yet. Some people say it causes it, some say it doesn't so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Plus, I figure in the long run, accutane will stop the acne anyways so it doesn't matter if I drink milk or not. :evil:

i took mine all at the one time when i took them when i was 17, both in the morning i did.

been clear ever since...

dont bother with vitamin E or anything my derm told me when i was there, it makes no difference.

keep the faith...be prepared for a very bumpy ride at the beginning. I broke out really abnormally when i first took them and mine wasnt eve nthat bad to start with...!!!! crazy!!!

Keep the faith, its all good...

PS: dont get inspiration from posh spice...shes ugly either way. [-X :evil:

thanks for your replies :evil:

its weird yesterday i took my pills all in one go and i think it had mroe of a significant effect as today my lips were so dry and i woke up with little bits of flakes on my skin wow!! i dont think my pills were being absorbed properly b4 as i dont eat much at supper.. so now i them at lunch probably my biggest meal.. i hope this is ok. BUT then again this is only my 5th day 8-[ so mabye i was expecting side effects too soon!

a question for anyone on accutane or has been on it.. is there anything gentle i can use whilst on roacc for my red marks on my skin? i heard aloe vera is good.. do you think it would be ok to be this on my face at night and then my usual moisterisor in the day

sorry about all the questions!! :D thanks for anyones help xx

hi...i was reading your post and empathsize with you completely, i am in a very similar situation, i'm 20 and today have started my second course of isotretinoin, i hadn't taken enough total dose the first time, and 5 months later the acne reached (what i call) the BP threshold, the point at which OTC benzoyl peroxide can no longer keep my skin acceptable. So off i went back to the dermatologist... et viola.

i've had this disease for 7 years, and have been in remission twice, and during these times i really like the way i look, so it really irritates me that even the strongest weapon in the medical arsenal can't keep it away....

i've done alot of research over these years, i suppose as a means of coping, and especially over the last few years, as a med student i've been lucky enough to have access to ALOT of research.I thought after reading your posts that Some things that i have found out you might find helpful, You mentioned vitamin E well, it actually helps vit A (and it's derivitives like roaccutane) to be absorbed, so you should take them at the same time if possible (take no less than 400iu), also it doesn't matter too much if you take the roacc all at once or in divided doses (unless your taking 80mg per day) because it is dealt with by the liver slowly and doesn't need to be replaced in the body twice a day.

Zinc is also a good thing to take (take 30mg) (but not at the same time of day as the roacc, as it MAY hinder absorption) it is good because the receptors on the cells where the roacc work are made of zinc and it all works together as a system. Zinc is also good for all the stuff you already said and i know this sounds petty but the best TYPE of zinc is zinc glutamate or zinc picolinate, it does actually make a difference, some types of zinc are completely useless.

One more is vitamin C, which protects vitamin E, and thus your skin cells, and helps to build collagen, so that you won't be left with worse looking marks on your face after you've finished the treatment.(take 500mg)

As a moisturiser in the night it's ok to use something quite rich, so aloe vera is really good , but if you can, you should get it in a tube that also has vitamin E because this helps to protect the structure of the skin which gets more fragile when on roacc, again helping to avoid any scaring. But what ever you do, don't use any thinning agents while on roacc, such as alpha(or beta) hydroxy acids, such as glycolic or salicylic acid, these will make your skin even more thin :evil: ..........

one last thing, if you don't want to take it with milk(i don't blame you) because of all the hormones and bovine growth factors :-k ........then have you thought about taking it with essential fatty acids (EFAs), such as those in evening primrose oil, cod liver oil, or borage/linseed oil.. you can get all these now in one capsule, these not only aid roacc absorption but also help to keep down inflammation, in your skin.

i'm sorry that i've written so much, i hope alittle of it is useful....and good luck.......

Damn, kkpb7825. That's a lot of good information there. Thanks =D>

Do you (or anyone else reading this) know anything about Ester-C? That's what I am taking instead of just regular old Vitamin C. Supposedly it stays in your body longer and has some other advantages over regular Vitamin C. Are there any known disadvantages of Ester-C?

kkpb7825 thank you so so so much for all that info, it helped me so much and answered so many things i was uneasy about, im sure it helped other people too here :evil:

you mentioned about taking roacc with EFA- do you mean just take the roacc with for example a cod liver oil pill or did you mean with food containing EFA.. sorry im confused! #-o cuz yeah i do hate taking it with a heavy meal containing fat as i watch my diet so do you think it would be ok if i just took with with an evening primose pill or cod liver oil pill and what i usually eat like toast or cereal ??

also do you know if its going to affect my liver too much taking vitamin E, C, zinc, and codliver or evening primose oil as well diannette AND then the added accutane!! (not all at the same time though)

thank you so much if you or anyone could help xx

wish i could have clear & smooth skin like those models... btw im 19/m 62kg~140ibs, taking accutane in 2001, finish my course exactly 1 year ago leaving scars all over my face.

i'm going to see a derma in a week or so to have his opinion on my acne scars. supposedly i'm not allowed to try full dermabrasion as i needed atleast 2 years after the course to have this treatment. i'm also looking for another possiblity such as less abbrasive procedures such as microdermabrasion etc etc.

davina,

just go for the modelling career. this is a one in a lifetime opportunity. maybe the world can see the birth of another supermodel :evil:

hi

thats alot of questions, well i'll do my best, the first question about, the pill or the food, it might be hard to take the roacc with a real cods liver, or the plant; evening primrose, lol...so it might be easier to just take it with a couple of evening primrose oil capsules (though borage oil is just as good), these are probably better than taking them with cod liver oil, because this will contain vitamin A, which you don't really want to much of...

so i think that a bowl of cereal or a couple of slices of toast, (with a generous amount of an olive oil based spread-which is much healthier than both butter and marg) the roacc and a couple of eve prim oil capsules (or the oil itself which i believe you can buy now, it doesn't matter), would be more than enough fat to get the roacc absorbed, don't worry too much because the digestive system is a very effective absorber or nutrients.

One more point though don't take it with too much fibre because this will really speed up the passage or food (and roacc) through the digestive system, giving less time for the roacc to be absorbed.

Or another healthy option is, if you are taking it at dinner time, then you could accompany the dinner with a light salad that is garnished with lots of olive oil.

The vitamins, E+C and the mineral Zinc (at the levels that i mentioned) pose no threat to your liver in the slightest, they are potent antioxidants, and at these levels help not only the liver but also the whole body to neutralise harmful products of metabolism called free radicals, so can actually help the liver to combat the extra strain of isotretinoin metabolism. But it is still a VERY good idea to avoid alcohol.

The last point, i assume you are taking dianette as your required 'effective means of birth control' and so since this is necessary anyway, there shouldn't be any problems, but i havent done much research on dianette, so you should talk to your doctor, if you're worried...especially if you are getting headaches or migrains, blurred vision etc, as i believe that dianette can cause these (as can roacc).

anyway i hope this was some help-all the best

the first question about, the pill or the food, it might be hard to take the roacc with a real cods liver, or the plant; evening primrose, lol...so it might be easier to just take it with a couple of evening primrose oil capsules

LOL um yeah sorry bout that, i do sound kind dumb #-o hehehehehehe

well ive taken your advice- i bought all the vitamins, the amounts you told me (which is just as well as i was taking way too much zinc and only 100 iu vitamin e)

thank you so much for all your kind help,good luck, your a star!!!! luv davina! x

Davina thanks for giving me some hope that a doctor might one day prescribe accutane for me. I've gone to two dermatologists one of them considered to be the best in DE (where I live) and they refuse to put me on the medication because I'm a female. I'm going to another doctor and I am going to practically demand accutane if I have to. I'm so sick of the useless retin a, antibiotics and birth control treatments that do nothing. ](*,) I know the serious risks if I become pregnant and I've promised the doctors I will continue birth control and abstain from sex but they won't listen. I pray [-o< this new one will have some compassion. My face is now scarred from 9 years of relentless acne and I will someday get resurfacing if I can ever get a clear face [-o< . Please let me know how you got it. Also, did your insurance cover it? Thanks for your help.

hey loki,

thats sucks that they wont put you on it cuz your a girl. I got such a hard time from my derm about not getting pregnant on it and i had to convince her so much that i wouldnt even have sex whilst on it AND im on birth control, geez she thought i was so irresponsible and she really didnt trust me.

i know how it feels trying everything and your confidence and hope just goes below zero point when it fails and deep down you know there couldnt be a cure from it.

ive had different derms as im british but live abroad so have moved around different countries. Ive never seen a derm in the u.k. but saw gps and they were the ones who put me on antiobiotics.. retin A.. diane 35 but they seemed adament about putting me on roaac whenever i questioned it. ](*,)

this summer im not in the uk so fed up with my acne and how it was dominating my life i was tired, went to a gp, poured out my life story hehe and i was refered to a derm. i explained to the derm how id been on nearly EVERYTHING to cure my acne and that id done so much research on roaac, some friends had been on it (girls) and it had done wonders for them, and how i was prepared to undergo all the side effects.

Basically i insisted it and finally but reluctantly she said i could go on it but only on 30mg for the whole course. (i want to go on a higher dose mabye after a month if things r going well but its up to her of course)

mabye go and see a totally new derm as the others arent gonna change thier mind it seems and tell them you have tried everything from antio biotics to brith control and none have had an effect. be a bit pushy and covince them what other choice is there.. i guess in the long run it actually depends on the derm cuz some are so strict yet some prescribe it just like that!! i had to convince and push my derm so much 8-[

my insurance doesnt cover it cuz im living abroad but im sure in the us..? (i dont know where DE is.. hehe) you can get insurance.

good luck, sorry this isnt very much help i just say you really push them, tell them your prepared to suffer the worst of the side effects and that you will be sensible on the drug... it worked with me!!? O:)

luv davina! x

Davina,

I'm going to take your advice and come prepared to convince and insist. Thanks for your encouragement. Once I finally get it [-o< I'll let you know how everything's going. With all of the topics you discussed with others I feel I know a lot more than I did. :evil:

If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost? Even if my insurance won't cover it I'm going to buy it once I can get a prescription.

loki

hey loki

i live in the middle east so its not gonna be much relevence to you how much i paid over here- im british but again i dont know how much it is in british pounds either!

i read on someones journal they said its aprox $10 a pill, and they said its pretty pricey but again worth it. I cant pay with insurance as im not an arab and am not entitled to it out here!! lol but yeah it is pricey and ill pay my parents back someday. I swear its been one week and theres been such an improvement. I dont even have dry skin (yet) but am taking alot of vitamins with it to help combat it. I bet I'll get my initial breakout pretty soon tho ](*,) but hey at least my skin will hopefully improve alot after that..

i hope you get a prescription :evil:

luv davina! x

you can find out the price on the the BRITISH NATIONAL FORMULARY(do a google search), if you really want to, but you have to sign up for it(its free), and to get full access just say on the sign up that you are a doctor, or medical student.

i think off hand that the price for roaccutane in england, is about £54 ish per box, so a full course could cost up to £400-£500, but of course these prices are the ones that roche charge the national health service, and the ones that you're consultant should thus charge your insurance company(if you have one) ,

but i've seen isotretinoin, on the web for unbelievable prices, like she says things like $10 per 10mg pill,, this would cost over $4000 for the full course, which is about 10 times that which roche charge... i

t's a disgrace that blood sucking companies treat sufferers in such a way, preying on the desperate, the willing to pay, for (when you think of it) roaccutane is nothing more than a Vitamin A derivative (one of the cheapest and most widely available vitamins on the planet), it's not weapons grade plutonuim, or gold dust..: )