Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clairedeloon

Silicone Foundation Primers

Can anyone recommend a good silicone foundation primer that won't break you out. Smashbox makes one, but I think it has oil in it. I've heard that silicone primers can help make your foundation look better if you have acne scarring. I would appreciate any suggestions.

I use philosophy's on a clear day. I don't know if you can buy it on its own, it comes in the acne kit (which I recommend, if you're interested in a new regimen), but works really well.

Sephora sells philosophy's on a clear day for $15.00, but does it help to conceal acne scars?

I have English Ideas foundation primer, which helps to smooth skin before foundation. I don't use it often though, it doesnt really seem to be a necessary step. Although it does make my pores look a bit smaller, it doesnt help with covering acne scars with me, but I dont have indented scarring, just red marks.

Primers don't conceal acne scars. They smooth the texture of your skin out so that foundation goes on more evenly. They will also help your makeup look a lot better throughout the day. If you have red marks, you might want to try a tinted primer with a green/blue hue that will counteract the redness. Smashbox and Make Up For Ever makes some good tinted primers.

Primers don't conceal acne scars. They smooth the texture of your skin out so that foundation goes on more evenly. They will also help your makeup look a lot better throughout the day. If you have red marks, you might want to try a tinted primer with a green/blue hue that will counteract the redness. Smashbox and Make Up For Ever makes some good tinted primers.

I was going to purchase the Smashbox primer, but I'm pretty sure it's not oil-free. I have been using Laura Mercier's primer, but would like to try another line to see if my makeup will look better. Makeupalley.com has alot of reviews on foundation primers.

From the qvc.com website:

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%...er&SearchClass=

Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer Ingredients:

Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Isopropylparaben, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Carthamus Tinctorium (Safflower) Seed Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Kolanut (Cola Acuminata) Extract,Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Isobutylparaben, Water.

They also have Smashbox Photo Finish Color Correcting Primer. Unfortunately they didn't list the ingredients for this item.

I used the Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer, however I have oily skin and during the day, I found that the primer increased the oil production.

I just started using Aloette Flawless Skin Perfecting Serum:

http://www.aloettecosmetics.com/oneproduct...duct=131&nav=13

It is a silicone primer and treatment product that fills in imperfections and has salicylic acid. The best thing is it keeps the skin matte throughout the entire day. Makeup applies very smoothly and lasts all day.

I use philosophy's on a clear day. I don't know if you can buy it on its own, it comes in the acne kit (which I recommend, if you're interested in a new regimen), but works really well.

Sephora sells philosophy's on a clear day for $15.00, but does it help to conceal acne scars?

I'm not sure, I don't have any deep ones. Mine are just red marks, and it takes foundation/concealer to cover those.

Thank you Heartless for all the good information. The Aloette Flawless Skin Perfecting Serum sounds like something I would like to try, but I can't seem to find it on their web site. Is this product new?

clairedeloon, you're right...even doing a search on the Aloette site doesn't bring up the Flawwless product. Currently the Aloette site is down, but the link in my posting, above, should take you to it when their site is back up.

I did find one on eBay at the following link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Aloette-Flawless-Skin-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hint: when you dispense and apply the product, it looks and feels like it is very oily, but that's only the silicone in the primer. When it's completely dry, your skin will be matte and smooth as a baby's bottom ;)

clairedeloon, you're right...even doing a search on the Aloette site doesn't bring up the Flawwless product. Currently the Aloette site is down, but the link in my posting, above, should take you to it when their site is back up.

I did find one on eBay at the following link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Aloette-Flawless-Skin-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hint: when you dispense and apply the product, it looks and feels like it is very oily, but that's only the silicone in the primer. When it's completely dry, your skin will be matte and smooth as a baby's bottom ;)

Heartless, I did find one on ebay, but I wanted to wait until I could see what the ingredients are before I buy it. I have to be careful about what I use because I tend to breakout. Are you happy with the way your foundation looks with this primer? I use Lancome's Maquicontrole foundation, but I think they are discontinuing it, so that means I have to go on this long search to find another foundation that I like. It has to be oil free and give good coverage. Any suggestions?

I use multi purpose Smashbox Foundation Stick. It doesn't cause breakouts and it lasts very well on its own, but with the Aloette Flawless, it helps the makeup last well over 12 hours. It provides something for the makeup to adhere to, it almost eliminated my usually oily skin, the makeup doesn't crease or disintegrate, and I think the salicylic acid and azelaic acid may minimize breakouts.

Further, I apply the Flawless all over, but I only apply the Smashbox Foundation Stick as a concealer on areas that need it and blend well with the brush. The Flawless also has some light reflective qualities that minimizes some of the flaws without needing heavy makeup coverage.

The ingredients for Flawless are:

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone/vinyltrimethyl, Siloxysilicate Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Polysilicone-11, Salicylic Acid, Butylene Glycol, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Phenoxyethanol, Pentaerythrityl, Tetraisostearate, Water, Silica, Dimethyl Silylate, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate, Atelocollagen, Laureth-12, Azelaic Acid, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Lecithin, Ormenis Multicaulis Oil, Xanthan Gum

I didn't realize there is oil in the product. It feels somewhat oily during application but when it is dry, it feels smooth and looks absolutely matte. Also, compared to both the Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer and the primer from Serious Skin Care, I have had almost no breakouts since using the Aloette Flawless and it has completely controlled my oily skin.

Like you, I used to be concerned about oils in products. I've learned that some oils can be beneficial as they can have cleansing, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. In fact, I apply several treatment products including 2 small drops of emu oil prior to applying the Flawless in the morning.

Well i have been using for well over a month now,monistat chafing powder gel as a primer before i put my foundation and i have yet gotten that massive breakout i was told i might get because it is has silicon.I haven't broken out, gotten whiteheads, nothing.

Everybody's skin is different. Maybe what i use to wash my face is helping me or the fact that i use 10 % glycolic cream every nite is not letting me breakout.

I used to use sephora's make-up base which was compared to smashbox's photofinish, it cost me i think 28 bucks and that broke me out! Monistat powder gel costs me 7 bucks and in my oppinion works and looks better. but that's just me.

jenny, beauty therapist

any product containing silicon will sit on top of your skin, this makes it a good primer for make up but only on someone with a normal or dry skin, anyone with acne should let the pores breathe and this definatly wont do this! so avoid any thing with silicon xx

There's a report on the the Monistat chafing gel as a make-up primer that talks about how the dimethicone/silicone part of the product works in the "Why It Works" part of the report. It explains how dimethicone actually breathes. This might explain why some people are not breaking out from the Monostat and having a good experience with it.

http://review-monistat-face-primer.uncensoredguides.com/

I use Philosphy The Present Clear make-up...is there a difference? The one I use is freakin' $25...so if its the same, I'm going with the cheaper one!

Glad I saw this.. I have On a Clear Day and have never really been thrilled with it, so I was thinking about about trying The Present.. but now that I know they're the same.. Monistat here I come.

:unsure:

Aubrey Nicole makes a primer that is awesome. It contains silicone and Squalane Oil, which will not break you out. Emu Oil, Squalane, Jojoba are amongst several that won't cause breakouts. In fact some people put all these together and use them as an oil cleanser for acne skin! Anyway, the primer is awesome and makes my loose powder foundation go on very smoothly and helps to keep in on all day.

There's a report on the the Monistat chafing gel as a make-up primer that talks about how the dimethicone/silicone part of the product works in the "Why It Works" part of the report. It explains how dimethicone actually breathes. This might explain why some people are not breaking out from the Monostat and having a good experience with it.

http://review-monistat-face-primer.uncensoredguides.com/

I use Philosphy The Present Clear make-up...is there a difference? The one I use is freakin' $25...so if its the same, I'm going with the cheaper one!

i think that if you just use a good moisturizer, then you wouldn't need a primer. i personally don't like to use a lot of stuff on my face (the less complicated, the better). I'm currently using the Revlon Age Defying Light Makeup (yes i know i'm not old), but it's really good & hasn't made my face go crazy. That line recently came out with primers. you can check out the reviews on makeupalley.com & decide if it's good for u to try. I know it's cheaper than the Philosophy or Smashbox ones.