Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NIGHT 2

This is my second night on the clear skin regimen. Some background context: I've had acne since my early teens. I have never managed to be fully clear, although using mandelic serum helped to keep me 85% clear over the past 10 months or so.

Using a only a third of a finger of BP morning and night. Tonight after applying the BP my face went slightly red, and tingled, but that's about it.

One other thing, in the past, I've tried Retin A, the pill, anti-biotics, all the usual high-street anti-spot treatments, salycyclic acid, glycolic acid peels, microdermabrasion, and spent ridiculous sums of money more generally on cosmetics and scrubs, and moisturised all purporting to clear acne. The prospect of having utterly clear skin, and never having to wear foundation again is too really almost too much to hope for (now in my early thirties).

Oh and by the way - as I do not have the luxury of shutting myself indoors all day, I'm absolutely dreading the prospect of going through the flaking crocodile, sunburnt phase. :boohoo:

PS. I know I sound like Spock (reference to Star-Trek character), at least my boyfriend tells me I do, but sorry I can't help it!

Edited by Madhubala

Hi there - I'm 28 and the regimen worked a dream for me, finally I have completely clear skin! I never had particularly bad acne until this year when I broke out furiously.. nothing worked until I did the regimen - it took a few months but now I cannot even believe I had acne. So stick with it, even through the red raw flakey phase and Good luck!!

PS you don't sound like spock you just sound intelligent and well-informed :)

DAY 6 (the start of)

Hey Mamu thanks for your compliment - very nice of you to say so!

I've been very busy of late, which is why I haven't posted in the last couple of days.

From Day 4 onwards I noticed my skin becoming really dry. It hadn't reached the redness, flakiness and itchiness stage, but I could see that if I continued using a a third of my finger's worth of BP day and night, i would be on a fast-track to that stage. So, (coward that I am) I cut down my BP usage to just nightly application.

Even still my skin is pretty dry - my boyfriend has noticed too. But not dry to the point of being flaky (although the area between my upper lip and nose is starting to flake), just experiencing extremely taut skin, uncomfortably so, and I am piling on the moisturiser. Which moisturiser you ask? I haven't received my Eucerin batch yet, so I'm using whatever is on my table. So far I've used jojoba oil, too good effect, emu oil, also to good effect (I couldn't help experimenting - don't follow my example, otherwise I've stuck to the regimen religiously), Dr Haushka quince creme - love the smell, not sure it is as effective as the oils, and today I've tried glycering and rosewater - a humectant, followed by jojoba oil. If I breakout, I'll let you know! In any case, my skin is a little better, but I've noticed that the BP creme has a tendency to both reduce inflammation (i.e., shrink the spot) and also make the spot more visibly red? Anyone else notice that? Perhaps it's just my skin's reaction to using the BP?

It's gonna be hard to tell what's what 'til you get on a regimen. So, once the Eucerin gets to you we'll know what's going on. In the meantime what's up with all the oils?

In the meantime what's up with all the oils?

Ha, that got a laugh out of me. (shamefaced) yes, I know I shouldn't be switching moisturisers like this, but at the moment, as the cold has set in here, my face feels exceptionally dry. Anyway, until the Eucering gets here, I've decided to stick to the Haushka Quince creme (might as well attempt to finish the tube).

Actually on the plus side, the tingling/stinging and tautness has diminished a little since using the BP at night only. I'm now wondering whether to use a little in the morning as well, perhaps just 1/6th of a finger. Hmm let's see.

DAY 7

My skin I think does look a little clearer. I had a minor outbreak around my chin area on day 5, but the BP appears to be drying it out. My forehead, which is usually the clearest (I'm susceptible to just one or two there) also feels a little smoother. I've long suffered from milia here.

I'm about to start using the BP in the morning as well. Incidentally, I do not wash my face with soap in the morning, I simply allow hot water to run over my face in the shower. As I have no make-up on overnight, this I feel is good enough, and prevents over-drying the skin.

hello hello

You might not have the misfortune to experience the mad flaking that others had experienced. I did a little poll on it a while back and found that people who suffered from quite oily skin actually had the least side effects. My nose and forehead is oily and those areas never had the full on flaking that my chin and cheeks had (which aways need moisturiser even when I was not using bp or the skin would crack).

So it really depends on your skin type.

Economic history sounds impressive, but i suppose I think anything sounds impressive if it is not chemistry :lol2: Whereabouts in the UK are you from??

DAY 7 still- but night

Hey Dusta, thanks for the advice. I do have oily skin, actually, I find this Hauschka quince creme (which had been lying on my dresser for quite some time) too rich for my skin. It seems to leave an oily residue on my skin, probably why I hadn't used it in such a long time! Just shows you how much money I've spent on products over time. So, moving onto residual moisturiser no.2. "Natural Elements" combination/oily moisturiser. Much lighter in texture, but not sure if it will moisturise sufficiently. Where oh where is the Eucerin I ordered a few weeks ago? (Not doing a vary good job at reducing the variables here am I?)

Dusta: to a non-science buff, economic history seems much more approachable than chemistry. I remember being astounded by a friend writing her Mathematics applied to Physics doctoral thesis - I felt utterly illiterate!

Dusta: to a non-science buff, economic history seems much more approachable than chemistry. I remember being astounded by a friend writing her Mathematics applied to Physics doctoral thesis - I felt utterly illiterate!

:lol2:

I can understand that. At third year maths became a completely different language and I had to change papers. I developed the utmost respect for my dad, who did masters in some branch of mathematics and started his PhD (never finished, long story).

Actually I know someone who did a degree in music and is now doing a masters in maths, his explanation was that music and higher level maths is not so very different ???????????????????????????????????????????

Utterly beyond me.

I never was any good at music though.

Actually I know someone who did a degree in music and is now doing a masters in maths, his explanation was that music and higher level maths is not so very different ???????????????????????????????????????????

Utterly beyond me.

DAY 9

Yes I've heard that many times too. I'm guessing because music theory involves a degree of precision/mathematical calculation anyway.

BTW that egg mask.. I had to use it three days consecutively to see a difference. I also had to put up with my boyfriend whipping out the digital camera.

Anyway, onto my log. I'm now using the BP twice a day, yes my skin is much more dry, but still nowhere near the "hardening" stage that people keep talking about. No extra redness or extreme flaking yet, just very taut skin at the moment. Actually I'm relieved! It must be because I've ramped up usage of the BP so gradually. I'm not quite using as much in the morning as at night, and I'm still using just a third of a finger's worth of BP at night. The Eucerin stuff still hasn't arrived - where the heck is it? I've gone back to using Jojoba oil - I can confirm after frenziedly switching moisturisers in the last few days - that it is by far the best. Doesn't leave an oily residue either, just leaves the skin supple. No wonder it's seen as the closest things to sebum. I am also still able to apply make-up (powder).

I've had no outbreaks, and the larger spots on my face are definitely shrinking. Overall my skin is looking clearer already. Even my forehead feels smoother (still have millia- but they're less visible). The only thing i would say, is that my skin tone sucks at the moment. It looks dull and lifeless, and moisturiser only helps with relieving dryness. Make-up at the moment is my saving grace. Looking forward to being clear and exfoliating - I'm really itching to - but resisting the temptation.

DAY 9 NIGHT

You know what, I'm already starting to feel grateful to Dan. Although it's only been 9 days, I can already see a definite improvement. It is also my time of the month, which means normally I would break-out, but instead my skin is looking clearer! No, not change in my diet, and if anything, added stress with work -so, I guess that means it must be down to the regimen. I noticed this evening that even the really stubborn spots which afflicted the area just below my jawline, have radically shrunk. I can only feel two there now - and these are fairly small. I'm so pleased! I used mandelic serum for around 10 months, and whilst it kept the outbreaks to a minimum, my complexion was still poor enough for me to be reliant on make-up. Wel, i still am but is it jst a trick of the light or (colour me happy) are my red marks as well as my spots beginning to fade? I'll let you know in the cold light of day tomorrow!

Here's what I'm using:

1) Kiehl's gentle foaming cleanser - it doesn't actually foam, more like a cream, very mild on the skin. But don't rush out to get it, I had half a bottle left, and kiehl's stuff is expensive. $10.50 (lasts quit a while though, and does remove makeup)

2) Currently using 1/3rd of a finger of Dan's BP morning and night - but ramped up to it slowly, using it during the day only from day 7.

3) Jojoba oil as a moisturiser. (still waiting for Eucerin- damn Drugstore)

By the way, I'm not clear of course, but am feeling very hopeful at the moment. This is as much a record for me as for anyone reading this.

BTW I am using the BP all over - unfortunately, though my acne is mild, it hasn't let a single area of my skin scott-free - unless you count my nose.

DAY 10

No major update here. Just wanted to pass on a compliment I was paid today. A frine of mine I hadn't seen in a year, commented on a huge improvement in my skin - i was as pleased as punch. She put it down to less stress... My complexion is still rather ghastly without make-up, but gosh i feel happy. If at day 10 I'm seeing such results, who knows what a month will bring!

PS. One other symptom: my lips are constantly chapped, is anyone else experiencing this? I'm avoiding the mouth area, and no, I have never used roaccutane.

Hey, good to hear you are doing well on the regimen. Around the second week, I started experiencing really chapped lips, no matter how much I tried to avoid putting BP around them. I bought a chapstick, slathered it on constantly, and about 10 days later they are completely back to normal. I would suggest this new kind blistex makes that is a clear liquid roll on because it doesn't clump up around the chappedness and look sick, and it gives a nice shine.

DAY 11 yeah! as Americans say: "bring it on!" (In high spirits today)

Hi Vott9, thanks for the encouragement and tip. I'm using neutrogena's lip balm at the moment. It seems to work for an hour at least, but if that doesn't work out I'll try your recommendation. But good to know the symptpm is normal.

Good news! The Eucerin clear skin renewal moisturiser has finally arrived! Although I haven't suffered from the excessive flakiness people have talked about, I can feel an awful lot of dead skin just sitting on my face. Hopefuly the AHA in Eucerin will take are of it.

NIGHT 11

Experiencing extreme thirst since going on this regimen, anyone else going through the same? perhaps this is just a bi=product of the chapped lips?

I'm slowly upping my night dose now to a little more than 1/3rd of a finger.

Do you know, I cant hink of a single piece of interesting news to write in this log. God the life of a research student is boring. Sit in front of the pc, read, write, visit the library, sit down to read again, feel the contents of my luch slowly start to put me to sleep in time to make it another productive afternoon, beat the lethargy at 4, more reading, more writing --- what a humdrum existence. No wonder tracking acne progress seems so riveting!

NIGHT 11

Experiencing extreme thirst since going on this regimen, anyone else going through the same? perhaps this is just a bi=product of the chapped lips?

Do you know, I cant hink of a single piece of interesting news to write in this log. God the life of a research student is boring. Sit in front of the pc, read, write, visit the library, sit down to read again, feel the contents of my luch slowly start to put me to sleep in time to make it another productive afternoon, beat the lethargy at 4, more reading, more writing --- what a humdrum existence. No wonder tracking acne progress seems so riveting!

Weirdly my lips are not dry at all on the regimen. Try using carmex on your lips, that stuff is really strong. Yeah my news in my journal is pretty scarce too, hehe.

NIGHT 11

Oddly enough, I am experiencing extreme thirst for unknown reasons. AND I had a horrid nosebleed just moments ago. It almost seems like the BP absorbs in the skin and spreads, drying out the whole system. I doubt this is true, maybe it's just me. So what are you researching? I'm just about to study immunology, so I feel the pain of a boring life!

DAY 12

Ah well, things were going just to swimmingly well. I can feel fresh bumps coming up in my cheek region. Hopefully, the BP will kill them before they become visible. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't erupt I beg of you acne forces that have wreaked havoc on my face for the last 17 bl***dy years!

I'm still not experiencing this extreme flakiness that everyone's been talking about. Is my skin made of rubber?! My skin does go red for a bit when i apply the BP in the morning (strangely not at night?), and my face feels hot. In fact, yesterday I didn't feel the need to apply any blusher. (My Indian complexion is on the lighter side so redness/ red marks are unfortunately all too visible)

I'm doing economic history - consists of a lot of archival research. Actually, despite my moans (all for effect I assure you:-)) I do really enjoy my research - sych a glutton for punishment! And yes, despite the isolation that UK research students in particular experience, I like being relatively autonomous. Besides, you do make friends with other research students , and it's not as if you lose all your old friends! So I hope I've sold you on this! Wish you the best of luck! Just like perserverance is required on the regimen, PhDs are 99% sweat and only 1% inspiration...:-)

NIGHT 12

Well, actually no new outbreaks. I don't get it, why is my face so red after applying the Bp in the morning, but not at night? Is it something to do with my morning shower opening all the pores..? I use hot water to wash my face at night, but perhaps constant hot water on the face is making me more sensitive?

This morning, was my face red or what! I had to apply a good dose of make-up, as I had a class to attend, and would have looked decidedly odd with a sunburn in the middle of winter - especially as I obviously haven't gone skiing. Still no flaking though, just dryness after applying the BP. I like the Eucerin moisturiser too. And regardless, even with the dehydrating effect of the BP, my skin still becomes shiny a few hours later. Perhaps, I've just got oilier skin than the rest of you guys suffering from flaky skin?

It's really great that I'm not suffering from any more outbreaks (touch wood). My face also looks and feels smoother. I'm using coconut oil around my eye area, as I feel it needs extra and pure moisturisation - have run out of my usual emu oil. This is helping a lot. For a while there, i thought I was even going to develop bags- God help me at 31.

BTW, I have upped my night dose of BP to half my finger now.

Funnily enough, i too got a compliment today from a mature man (60s I think), a mature PhD student who was also working from my research student room. What the heck, if a man calls you beautiful I'm flattered, don't care how old he is. Besides, he was just being nice, not lecherous.

DAY 13

I can still feel bumps under the skin on my cheeks- though they haven't materialised yet. I also have a fresh spot on my chin, and a rough red patch on the lower part of my left cheek. I can only account for this slight worsening of my skin by correlating it to increased usage of BP last night. Must be drawing out the impurities. I rellay want ot exfoliate that rough patch - but i WILL resist!

Still day 13

Something of a blog here:

Saw "Flightplan" yesterday (the one with Jodie Foster acting as an aeronautical propulsion engineer). Started off well I thought, but then somehow lost that essential tension towards the middle, and the plot ended up feeling somewhat flimsy. I thought "Panic Room", however simple the setting, had much more suspense. Somehow, the idea of a "baddy" seeing the light, brings a much more interesting twist to things.

Also saw "The Constant Gardner" last week. Actually, thought that was much more enjoyable, and did some justice to Le Carre's novel.

PS. Caught up in the film enthusiast thing, I almost forgot my actual acne-related question. Do you (anyone) think I should up my night dose of BP to a finger length?

I'd say up it! Might as well give it a go. I have been on about a finge for a while, although with (I think it was your) advice I have concentrated most of that on the forehead and am avoiding the sensitive areas. In fact, given that my beard covers most of the lower half of my face (me lumberjack, "old man o' the woods" heehee) that finger length is going on about 2/3 of a face. If you are doing yer whole face and you are on day 13 then go for it. Sounds like you have already had some of the redness / dryness so yer skin should be toughening up. Isn't it cool to actually feel your skin change even if it is a bit painful, dry, itchy or whatever - it's like a reminder that (finally) you are doing something effective about it!

On the other hand, i must disagree about Panic Room which I thought was very dreary and predictable... Have you seen the old Alec Guiness version of Lle Carre's "tinker sailer soldies spy"? It's really really really really really cool if you ask me. Very old-fashioned british kind of restrained toughness. Watch it!

d. ;)

DAY 14

Well Groucho (love that name- has such a satisfying ring to it - especially now that I know there's a beard involved :-)), yesterday I did up the dose to a full finger. This morning however, whilst I experienced no excessive flakiness, or redness etc, I did feel a mountain of dead skin on my face. So, yes, I resorted to "Jessfoliation" , I had one of those facial brushes lying around. I promise I did exfoliate gently. And (if Dan reads this), I felt it was necessary as otherwise I would simply be applying BP to layers of dead skin. I wouldn't recommend anyone else doing this ( my skin appears to be oilier than most). And after seeing notable improvements in the first 9 or so days, the last couple of days have felt rather static, I'm sure it is because of this accuulation of dead skin. i faithfully promise not to exfoliate for at least another week. Hopefully, the lactic acid in the moisturiser will slough off the dead skin more effectively now.

No Groucho, I haven't seen that Le Carre film - though I have heard of it. And yes I do love Alec Guiness. Fabulous actor. I also love that kind of old-fashioned British restrained toughness. I was born and largely brought up in the UK, but some of the old schools in India (even if slightly colonial relics) do still turn out that type!

DAY 15

Getting rather bored with my log - no great shakes to report. Smothered my face with a finger of BP last night, had a very dry chin area - but still resisted exfoliating. Some of the spots came to a head overnight. Think I'll be skipping my log for a bit - until i have results to comment on.

Cheers

DAY 18

I have exfoliated and I have tweaked my regimen slightly. Two days ago I exfoliated with a scrub - the skin was desperate to come off I tell you! Anyway, my face did look noticeably better, and the moisturiser sat better on my face. But my face, felt horribly dry, and looked as though it had aged. So last night I put moisturiser on my face before applying the BP. I'd read that someone else had tried that. Gosh, my face looks ten thousand times better today. Brighter, clearer, and softer. The BP obviously still works well. I'll keep doing this, and will report any adverse changes.