Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kittenkaboodle

On the regimen for a week, what should I do?

I started the regimen exactly a week ago, and really thought it was not going to work. I am a 21 year old female with persistent moderate acne. It seems like my face has turned into this chemically impenatrable barrier, and even retin-A micro and other topicals have had no effect in any way. Here are the main problems I am having:

1. crazy tightness/dryness- though my skin is definitely clearing up, I have tight, scaly skin around my eyes, and my skin is so tight that I can feel it pull at all angles. Also, there is some slight flakage, making makeup look crappy. Seriously though, around the eyes is killing me, and I'm starting to have skin that makes me look 10+ years older than I am.

2. intensifying of red marks from old acne- every spot from every zit I've ever had seems to be coming back to haunt me

3. blemishes in very odd places- I have had very few new pimples since, but the ones I have had are in places I almost never get them.

I really just feel like putting a huge moisture mask on my face right now...considering breaking out the aquaphor!! I have to continue!!! Any suggestions??

I started the regimen exactly a week ago, and really thought it was not going to work. I am a 21 year old female with persistent moderate acne. It seems like my face has turned into this chemically impenatrable barrier, and even retin-A micro and other topicals have had no effect in any way. Here are the main problems I am having:

1. crazy tightness/dryness- though my skin is definitely clearing up, I have tight, scaly skin around my eyes, and my skin is so tight that I can feel it pull at all angles. Also, there is some slight flakage, making makeup look crappy. Seriously though, around the eyes is killing me, and I'm starting to have skin that makes me look 10+ years older than I am.

2. intensifying of red marks from old acne- every spot from every zit I've ever had seems to be coming back to haunt me

3. blemishes in very odd places- I have had very few new pimples since, but the ones I have had are in places I almost never get them.

I really just feel like putting a huge moisture mask on my face right now...considering breaking out the aquaphor!! I have to continue!!! Any suggestions??

I just started also but maybe try to ease up on the BP a little bit and use a little extra lotion around the parts of your face that are really dry.

Thanks, that's kind of what I've been trying to do. I think it's all about balance and now that I'm easing up and adding more moisturizer, in a few days I will probably "overcorrect" the problem, so my skin will then be too oily. I just hope I can find the right amount and I am praying that this will actually solve my problem that has been ruining my life for years.

I just applied a LOT of aquaphor because the dryness is killing me...

Vott, sounds like you are having the same issues as me. I dont have any suggestions for you because I am new too. Let's keep each other up to speed on anything that is working and help each other out. Melissa seems very eager to lend an ear and help out. Let's us 3 newbie stick together and make a go of it! :)

:D Sounds good! Goodz, give me a summary of where you are now...the type of acne, how long you've been on the regimen, what else you've tried, etc. Are you using Dan's 2.5% gel? It would be interesting to do a day to day comparison to see if this is working!!

I tryed the regimen a couple of months ago and the first week it felt to dry and uncomfortable so i decided that i would not put on bp in the mourning to help my face get used to it. It helped and my active acne went away after about 8 weeks and now my skin is pretty nice with only a couple of little redmarks. To fade my red marks i stopped washing for two weeks and they faded ok, but i had dead skin left on my face so i exfoliated it and that worked well. My skin was similar to how yours was so just stick with it. Try changing things up to find what works best for you. Good luck!

:D Sounds good! Goodz, give me a summary of where you are now...the type of acne, how long you've been on the regimen, what else you've tried, etc. Are you using Dan's 2.5% gel? It would be interesting to do a day to day comparison to see if this is working!!

Hi vott. I've on for 2.5 weeks. I've had trouble w/ this since 7th grade. I've tried everything over the counter and 2 antibiotics (mino and eythro). Medically, my acne is moderate, I get some large nodules and the occasional (more occasional now) cyst. I am very nit-picky and look for every minor infection in every single pore. Im a lunatic. My face is especially dry around my lower cheeks and chin. Much flaking and cracking. While I would be alright w/ a spot here or there, I hate these big f*ckers and it's getting me down. I use basis, Dan's BP, and Neutrogena moisturizer. Hope we can help each other out

Hey! So I don't really know if aquaphor breaks me out...I have never noticed an increase over my usual hell-face when using it. Right now, I am using a mild clinique foaming cleanser, morning and night, followed by Dan's 2.5% BP. After that, I apply hella moisturizer, usually clinique's "dramatically different moisturizing gel," but I haven't found a moisturizer I really am attached to. I am forcing myself not to use any other products (retin-A micro, aspirin mask) to see if this really works, and since my skin is so irritated already, I know that wold only complicate it. Oh, for the last 5 months I have been taking spironolactone, which has definately brought my acne from nearly severe to moderate at the worst, and there's no way I'm stopping that right now.

Goodz- I know how it is to be obsessed with acne. I probably look in the mirror no less than 50 times a day to check skin conditions, to be quite honest. Usually my make-up camoflagues it, but with those huge cysts you were talking about, which I am no stranger to, there is no hope for cover-up. I really feel that my "active acne" is clearing up, but my face overall looks and feels like S*$&. Have you noticed any improvement or worsening since you started the regimen?

Hey! So I don't really know if aquaphor breaks me out...I have never noticed an increase over my usual hell-face when using it. Right now, I am using a mild clinique foaming cleanser, morning and night, followed by Dan's 2.5% BP. After that, I apply hella moisturizer, usually clinique's "dramatically different moisturizing gel," but I haven't found a moisturizer I really am attached to. I am forcing myself not to use any other products (retin-A micro, aspirin mask) to see if this really works, and since my skin is so irritated already, I know that wold only complicate it. Oh, for the last 5 months I have been taking spironolactone, which has definately brought my acne from nearly severe to moderate at the worst, and there's no way I'm stopping that right now.

Goodz- I know how it is to be obsessed with acne. I probably look in the mirror no less than 50 times a day to check skin conditions, to be quite honest. Usually my make-up camoflagues it, but with those huge cysts you were talking about, which I am no stranger to, there is no hope for cover-up. I really feel that my "active acne" is clearing up, but my face overall looks and feels like S*$&. Have you noticed any improvement or worsening since you started the regimen?

I dont know if i'd say a worsening, but the cpl big ones i got were in prevelent places which sux. I can dodge one on the forehead w/ a hat, or on the cheek I can face ppl straight on. But they in the front and they suck! Also, I have seen a smoother complexion I suppose, so the bog ones really stand out and a few red marks blotching up my face. Girls are lucky w/ makeup :)

Goodz- I know how it is to use tactics to avoid people seeing zits. I've had this recurring one right in between my eyes, and I always do bangs half in my face. I hope you're seeing some improvements!!!

Day 9

active acne count:

really bad: 1

minor/moderate: 4

red spots: tons