Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scott666

Does Accutane ever work permanently??

I see all of these posts on here about people who were on Accutane and got clear for a while but then everything started to come back. My dermatologist told me that most of the time it works permanently or for a very long period of time at which point it can be controlled/prevented with OTC stuff. I'm new here so I don't really know much about it. What generally is the case? I just started 40mg per day 4 days ago and I just wanna know if it's likely that it will help and then I'll have the same problem all over again.

my acne came back in mild to moderate form just 1.5 months after the tane treatment~.. I don't think accutane works permanently most of the time~ i know many ppl who had taken it and ALL of them still have acne now...but in milder form..

Mine was a 4 month treatment... After my acne came back, my derm put me on again (6 months after the 1st treatment)..but i had to stop 1 week after due to liver problems shown in a blood test...

If u now have severe acne.. that leaves scars..........I think u SHOULD try 1 course....coz it does clear u up ....

Even if it comes back later on,...it is much milder..

Edited by cutieapple509

I see all of these posts on here about people who were on Accutane and got clear for a while but then everything started to come back. My dermatologist told me that most of the time it works permanently or for a very long period of time at which point it can be controlled/prevented with OTC stuff. I'm new here so I don't really know much about it. What generally is the case? I just started 40mg per day 4 days ago and I just wanna know if it's likely that it will help and then I'll have the same problem all over again.

I was first on accutane about 4 years ago. My doseage was 80mg per day, for 4 months. After I was done, I was clear for about a year. Then had occasional acne. It wasn't very bad. I more or less kept it to an acceptable level with bp. I wasn't using very much bp. Didn't know about the regime then.

About 3 years after my accutane treatment, my acne started getting bad. It wasn't nearly as bad as before I was on accutane, but it was enough to stress me out. So I went on accutane again. Same doseage for 4 months. It's been 4 months since I finish my second course, and I noticed a month ago that I had some breakouts again. They are pretty small compared to what I use to get. I think I will be able to control it now.

So, the bottom line is, no accutane didn't cure acne for me. But it's so much better after I did it. I only wish I did it sooner.

my acne came back in mild to moderate form just 1.5 months after the tane treatment~.. I don't think accutane works permanently most of the time~ i know many ppl who had taken it and ALL of them still have acne now...but in milder form..

Mine was a 4 month treatment... After my acne came back, my derm put me on again (6 months after the 1st treatment)..but i had to stop 1 week after due to liver problems shown in a blood test...

If u now have severe acne.. that leaves scars..........I think u SHOULD try 1 course....coz it does clear u up ....

Even if it comes back later on,...it is much milder..

I agree 100% with this post. My experience is the same.

Guest charyan

i have mild acne now, i went on accutance 3 years ago as i had severe cystic acne, it has helped a lot, and sometimes i do have clear skin now and then, it does come back but usually its not that bad, at the mo it is, but its my own fault, Accutane is the best thing around at the moment

My acne is pretty mild i'd say. I did tons of other prescription stuff for about 2 years but with little or no improvement. Would you guys say that the more mild your acne is before u start Accutane, the more permanent the effect? Or is it the opposite? or is it really impossible to tell?

I've heard that 'tane is more effective on severe acne than on mild/moderate acne, which is depressing because I have/had moderate acne, and I want to be clear for a long time when my course is done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd take much milder acne, though. The stuff I had wasn't widespread (mainly just the sides of my chin and FREAKISHLY oily skin) but it was depressing and starting to leave scars!

My acne is pretty mild i'd say. I did tons of other prescription stuff for about 2 years but with little or no improvement. Would you guys say that the more mild your acne is before u start Accutane, the more permanent the effect? Or is it the opposite? or is it really impossible to tell?

I don't think they're related. My acne was never severe, but it sure is persistant as hell. I've taking accutane several times, and I'm still breaking out!

Some people get a permanent clearing. They aren't likely to hang out on an acne board though. Many people get extended remissions and when it comes back it is generally less severe and more responsive to conventional treatments.

I have severe cysts and severe acne YEARS AFTER Accutane!

I'm in my 40's and my acne got worse in my 20's and 30's!

Accutane did NOTHING for me! It was a waste of time, money and health!

I can personally attest to the fact that Accutane only ruined my health and only maintained the same severe acne scenario!

My skin is GREASY AS HELL and Accutane didn't dry it up one bit! In fact, I'm just as GREASY now as when I started!

And greasy skin doesn't keep skin from wrinkling! I still have severe acne and cysts (AFTER ACCUTANE), greasy skin and tons of wrinkles! Now sell that to La Roche pharmaceuticals!